Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

~

Reverie:  Episode 1 - Apertus

"PILOT / APERTUS" ORIGINAL
05/30/2018 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Wednesday) :

SERIES PREMIERE -- Former hostage negotiator Mara Kint (Sarah Shahi) is hired by tech company Oniratech to save people who have lost themselves in a sophisticated virtual reality program called Reverie. Dennis Haysbert, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Kathryn Morris and Jessica Lu also star. TV-14 V

Read more: Listings - REVERIE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz5HDRtVZjG

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

A silly rehash of a tired plot.  Very disappointing.

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,734 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

I wouldn't say it's great, but it has potential. The premise is interesting, a nice departure from the usual cop shows and lawyer shows and spy shows -- a fresh way to tell a story about a hero helping people, driven more by empathy than conflict or action (though it looks like there is a secret-military-intrigue angle in the background). It looks like striking visuals for the virtual worlds will be a major element too, although that depends on how well the budget holds up. And the cast is interesting; Sarah Shahi in particular is always worth watching. However, the characters aren't that interesting yet; the lead is too much in the cliched mold of the hero who's gifted at helping everyone but herself and whose personal life is a total wreck. Although she did appear to clean up her act at the end of the pilot, so maybe that won't be so much of a thing going forward.

Also, I find "Mara Kint" an unappealing character name.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

I think it will be a winner.  Sarah is my kind of talent.  I enjoy watching her act.

Do you think that what she saw at the end of the show was a residual affect from Reverie, or maybe it was from drug & alcohol withdrawal?

Dennis Haysbert  looks weird with no hair and he is never going to be able to leave behind those Allstate commercials.  He's a decent actor, but, that's how everyone identifies with him, "Oh that's the Allstate guy." .

Kathryn Morris is talented as well.  I've like her ever since Cold Case.

I'm looking forward to it. :)

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,597 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:50 AM

This is an uneasy blend of those helper shows that often have a religious slant, liked Touched by an Angel, and a cautionary tale about the dangers of technology. The pilot also creeped me out because of its necrophiliac angle. The patient wanted to repair things with his dead wife, Mara is haunted by the deaths of her sister and niece, and the company's AI, Dylan, apparently speaks with the voice of the young brother the founder lost. I do like the cast and will stick around for a while but I'm dubious this won't devolve into an unworkable mix of treacly uplift and sinister corporate/military conspiring.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,734 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:08 AM

I don't think the show is saying "technology is bad," per se -- more that we need to find a way to use technology without losing our connection to each other. After all, Mara is using technology to save the people trapped by the same technology. Which seems to cast the tech itself as morally neutral, able to do good or harm depending on the user. Although it's too early to say yet.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#7 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:11 AM

View PostM.E., on 02 June 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

Kathryn Morris is talented as well.  I've like her ever since Cold Case.

Ah, thank you.  I was wondering where I knew her from.

I'll be giving this a few more episodes, because I'm curious where they go with the other coma victims.  The root problem for this guy seemed to be that he didn't realize how much time had passed, and once he realized it, he had an easy enough time getting out.  So assuming the others can't all be "tragedy of the week" people who have some horrible life situation to escape from, it seems like she should be able to solve many of them by going in and just letting them know that "Yo, your body's wasting away, time to come out."   Unless it really is going a Touched by an Angel with Government Conspiracies angle, as Cardie mentions.

The moment at the end with the device apparently doing some sort of augmented reality hack to her brain is also a pretty good hook.  Curious how far that goes.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

Do you think that what she saw at the end of the show was a residual affect from Reverie, or maybe it was from drug & alcohol withdrawal?

View PostNiko, on 04 June 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

The moment at the end with the device apparently doing some sort of augmented reality hack to her brain is also a pretty good hook.  Curious how far that goes.

The obvious question has to be asked of course (as always with this premise):

Did she really wake up?  This is probably not that kind of story, but can't be ruled out.  In that scenario, succeeding at rescuing that patient is what she wanted to happen, and so the software created that reality.  But that would lead to all kinds of other questions, like the others talking about her EEG, which we saw, but not from her perspective.  So then you have to re-check that conversation, to see if it was explicitly expressed in that conversation that she was awake, or if only we saw that...

Like I said, this is probably not that story, and it's way too much of a rabbit hole, but there it is.

So, the other possibilities are:
1) The technology glitching for some reason, and activating while she is awake. (Either because of the prototype upgrade, or some result of her mental / emotional state, or some psychological or neurological reason, etc etc.)

2) The technology triggered a previously dormant underlying mental condition, that was already waiting to happen, and now she is hallucinating on her own.

3) Major questions about why the Niece appeared in the first place, either in the dream or in reality.  The software was not programmed to show anything relating to her in the first place! :oh:  Also possibly related, they mentioned that she moved through training particularly fast, learning how to interact with and manipulate the virtual scenarios with unusual ease!  Is she too good at that, and now her subconscious is creating scenarios, without them being programmed??

Also, I am going to put a quote here from the transcript, for reference:

I finished reviewing Mara Kint's EEG.
Who ordered that?
Paul Hammond.
He wanted me to take a look at a spike in the middle of her session, but that's not what has me concerned.
There were other markers, things that could potentially indicate an underlying psychiatric disorder.

Ok, so the "spike in the middle" is obviously when she spotted her niece.  But what do we make of this "underlying psychiatric disorder"?  Is this completly unrelated to the tech and discovered coincidentally?  Or pre-existing but triggered / activated by the interface?  Or completly caused by it???

Anyway... :rolleyes:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 05 June 2018 - 04:00 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:59 PM

I think it will be a winner.  Sarah is my kind of talent.  I enjoy watching her act.

You did watch Person of Interest, right?  ;)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,734 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:34 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 05 June 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

It's interesting that Sarah Shahi went from playing a "compact Persian sociopath," a character defined by her lack of neurotypical emotion and empathy, to a character who specializes in empathy and emotional connection. Maybe she was drawn to the contrast.

(Although if her previous pilot had succeeded, she'd be playing Nancy Drew now.)

Edited by Christopher, 05 June 2018 - 04:34 PM.

Facebook Author Page

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,597 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

Although it's pretty likely that the interaction between Sarah's brain and the untested tech is producing these images of the niece, it would be cool if where they are going is that the tech is capable of projecting simulacra of people in the VR into the real physical world, separate from the perceiver's brain. But I think that's a long shot.

If you produce a technology that allows people to custom design their very own paradises, should you be surprised that many of them don't want to leave?
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,734 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:52 PM

View PostCardie, on 05 June 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

Although it's pretty likely that the interaction between Sarah's brain and the untested tech is producing these images of the niece, it would be cool if where they are going is that the tech is capable of projecting simulacra of people in the VR into the real physical world, separate from the perceiver's brain. But I think that's a long shot.

That would make no sense at all and be pure fantasy. So far they're keeping the science quite plausible, with the fantastic elements limited to the VR settings.

Facebook Author Page

#13 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 05 June 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

The obvious question has to be asked of course (as always with this premise):

Did she really wake up?  This is probably not that kind of story, but can't be ruled out.

Yeah, it's probably too early for them to go there just yet, but you're right, I'm sure they'll end up there at some point.  Can't do this sort of Inception/Paprika sort of story without it.  :)

Edited by Niko, 06 June 2018 - 07:54 AM.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

View PostChristopher, on 05 June 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 05 June 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

It's interesting that Sarah Shahi went from playing a "compact Persian sociopath," a character defined by her lack of neurotypical emotion and empathy, to a character who specializes in empathy and emotional connection. Maybe she was drawn to the contrast.

(Although if her previous pilot had succeeded, she'd be playing Nancy Drew now.)

Oh yeah, and I couldn't help but laugh every time she talked to a security camera!  :lol:

Reverie on Twitter Feeling like you're being watched It's probably Dylan. #Reverie… ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

SFG ;)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:54 AM

Reverie:  Episode 2 - Bond. Jane Bond.

Spoilers

Reverie 1-2, pic NUP_179899_0068_595_Mini Logo TV white - Gallery.jpg

Reverie 1-2, pic NUP_179899_0149_595_Mini Logo TV white - Gallery.jpg

Reverie 1-2, pic NUP_179899_0439_595_Mini Logo TV white - Gallery.jpg

Reverie 1-2, pic NUP_179899_0516_595_Mini Logo TV white - Gallery.jpg

Reverie 1-2, pic NUP_179900_1009_595_Mini Logo TV white - Gallery.jpg

Reverie 1-2, pic NUP_179900_1099_595_Mini Logo TV white - Gallery.jpg

"BOND. JANE BOND." ORIGINAL
06/06/2018 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Wednesday) :

When a client becomes addicted to a "Jane Bond" adventure, Mara (Sarah Shahi) must help her assemble the missing pieces in her life to save her. At the same time, Mara deals with the unanticipated side effects of Reverie. Dennis Haysbert, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Kathryn Morris and Jessica Lu also star. TV-14 V

Read more: Listings - REVERIE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz5Hf1XFjfZ

Promotional photos from images.spoilertv.com. :)

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 06 June 2018 - 11:39 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#16 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Reverie:  Episode 3 - No More Mr. Nice Guy

Spoilers

Reverie 1-3, pic NUP_180129_0014_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-3, pic NUP_180129_0034_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-3, pic NUP_180129_0054_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-3, pic NUP_180129_0162_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-3, pic NUP_180129_0235_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-3, pic NUP_180129_0461_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-3, pic NUP_180129_0775_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-3, pic NUP_180129_0806_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-3, pic NUP_180129_0987_FULL.jpg

"NO MORE MR. NICE GUY"
06/13/2018 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Wednesday) :

A family man robs banks in his Reverie and Mara (Sarah Shahi) must uncover the deeper reasons why. Mara's derealizations put her life in danger. Dennis Haysbert, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Kathryn Morris and Jessica Lu also star. TV-14 V

Read more: Listings - REVERIE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz5IKnzWqtB

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#17 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

Whelp, I gave this three episodes, but it's not doing it for me.  :(    Too much case-of-the-week melodrama, not enough genre creativity, and none of the characters give me any spark of wanting to know what happens with them.

#18 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,734 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

I think I'm getting a bit more interested. I was wondering how they'd sustain the pilot's premise of people just being caught up in the fantasy and wasting away, but they've found ways to vary it. The second episode was about someone who'd only just entered but had a weak heart, and this one was a more complex mystery about why the guy was giving up on his life. They also managed to tie it to something happening in the real world, so it wasn't just about getting someone out of the game.

And it was interesting the way they moved beyond the basic case-of-the-week use of Reverie and showed how Sendhil Ramamurthy's character is using it for therapy. I remember a review of the pilot saying it was technophobic, but this episode seemed to be largely about acknowledging the good the technology can do if it's used right, the way it can help people work through their problems and gain insight into each other instead of just trapping and endangering them.

Facebook Author Page

#19 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

Zucko el stinko. Bad acting, poorly written, all style, no substance. Should go in the artificial cheese-like product aisle.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:02 PM

Reverie:  Episode 4 - Blue Is the Coldest Color

Spoilers

Reverie 1-4, pic - NUP_180242_0252_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-4, pic - NUP_180242_0159_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-4, pic - NUP_180242_0490_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-4, pic - NUP_180242_0995_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-4, pic - NUP_180242_0565_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-4, pic - NUP_180242_1097_FULL.jpg

Reverie 1-4, pic - NUP_180242_2377_FULL.jpg

"BLUE IS THE COLDEST COLOR"
06/20/2018 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Wednesday) :

Alexis's (Jessica Lu) former partner Oliver Hill (guest star John Fletcher) resurfaces and warns Mara (Sarah Shahi) that Reverie 2.0 has some dangerous side effects. Back at Onira-Tech, a BCI is stolen and Mara must go into a rogue Reverie. Dennis Haysbert, Sendhil Ramamurthy and Kathryn Morris also star. TV-PG V

Read more: Listings - REVERIE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz5IzuqgIps

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reverie, Reverie: Season 1, NBC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users