• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Anyone else check this out?

Interesting start for a superhero show (for someone like me who's not familiar with the comic, anyway)... two hours in, and it's still quite unclear the full nature of their powers.  Tandy's glowy hand tends to come out of nowhere, and Tyrone seems to get that there's something about pulling a "cape" around himself that triggers it, but very unreliable whether it works, and what the rhyme/reason is for where he ended up each time.  And then each of them seems to be able to go into the subconscious "dreams" of people they touch, but Tyrone seems to go more into "nightmares", while Tandy's are glowy light and good?

So far, there's not much indication of the more "epic" sort of story that the trailer indicates is coming, but I'm definitely liking it enough to sign on for the rest of the season.  The situations they're both in are touching and I think I'll enjoy seeing their partnership help them to get some payback and "found family".  (Assuming it follows the usual trajectory.)

Also, really expecting the boyfriend to die.  I hope he doesn't... I like him.

Edited by Niko, 08 June 2018 - 08:24 AM.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

It's better than I expected from the previews and trailers. I find the male lead a bit bland at times, but otherwise it's okay. The cast includes three women I remember fondly from past shows -- Gloria Reuben (who was Sabrina on the 1990 The Flash) as Tyrone's mother, Andrea Roth (Diana from RoboCop: The Series) as Tandy's mother, and introduced in episode 2 as the oddly silent police detective, Emma Lahana of Power Rangers Dino Thunder.

View PostNiko, on 08 June 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

Interesting start for a superhero show (for someone like me who's not familiar with the comic, anyway)... two hours in, and it's still quite unclear the full nature of their powers.  Tandy's glowy hand tends to come out of nowhere, and Tyrone seems to get that there's something about pulling a "cape" around himself that triggers it, but very unreliable whether it works, and what the rhyme/reason is for where he ended up each time.  And then each of them seems to be able to go into the subconscious "dreams" of people they touch, but Tyrone seems to go more into "nightmares", while Tandy's are glowy light and good?

Tyrone's powers are apparently darkness-based (there's something a bit unfortunate about having the white character have "light" powers and the black character have "dark" powers, but this concept was created in the '70s), and I assume he needs to be in darkness to teleport. In the comics, his powers are connected to the extradimensional phenomenon called the Darkforce, and that's probably the case here too, given the connections with Roxxon (cf. Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter -- Isodyne, which was researching "Zero Matter"/Darkforce in the '40s, was later acquired by Roxxon, as discussed here). So far, it appears that Tyrone's drawn either to the cop who murdered his brother or to Tandy. I'd guess the common denominator is desire/need.

As for their psychic visions, it seems that Tandy sees people's hopes and yearnings, while Tyrone sees their fears.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:52 PM

I totally forgot about this. I might have to check it out, especially since you two seemed to like it.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

Okay, but, what was that vision Tyrone had about the two boys being shot and then the one little boys face being on the side of a milk carton, suppose to mean?  I can't stop thinking about it.

I mean if that was mom's fears, they don't make sense.  He was never shot.  His picture was never on the side of a milk carton as a child.  He was right there holding her in his arms.  Why would she have those fears?  I'm very confused.

#5 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

@Niko, that was clever of you to see that when he wrapped himself up he could teleport. :D

I guess that is where the title comes from...

When he is cloaked his power kicks in.

When she is frighten or distressed that dagger appears.

Edited by M.E., 08 June 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#6 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

Mothers always see their children as children (I'm pushing forty and my mom still feels the need to verbally remind me to take off my hat when we enter church).

Tyrone's mother is terrified of losing him the same way she lost his brother, either through police brutality or just disappearance (because you know that a missing black kid won't be investigated).

Someone over on Tor.com pointed out that Tandy sees people's hopes, which causes her to push them away, yet Tyrone sees peoples' fears, and it ends up bringing them closer.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users