• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and team take on Serena in an epic battle for Earth.

Read more: Listings - SUPERGIRL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz5Ip9UiS7s

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

Well, that was a finale. I felt about this episode what I felt about season 3 as a whole: It had some good moments but it was uneven and felt like a step back from seasons 1 and 2.

Let's talk about the characters that are leaving. I really hate that they are getting rid of Mon-El, especially after they wasted so much time on that insipid love triangle and kept going back and forth with Mon and Kara getting together. It was such a terrible way to send his character off. How he left in season 2 was much better.

Getting rid of Winn. According to interviews, the actor was ready to move on but still. I figure if they had actually done something with Winn this season he might have decided to stay. Instead he gets sent to the future with little build up. Not only that, but he is replaced by Brainiac. No offense to the actor, but I never really warmed up to the character. Hopefully he will shine next season.

What a disappointing end to Reign. It felt like the writers created this powerful, complicated villain and then had no idea what to do with her so they had her locked up for a good chunk of the season and then just use some stupid magic fountain that exists in someone's mind to get rid of her.

The time travel. Seriously, what was that? Reign kills several characters before dying herself and Supergirl feels she has betrayed her values and can suddenly just time travel at will? I know there was more to it than that but it literally came out of nowhere and was so deus ex machina.

Also, it wasn't clear that Supergirl knocked Reign into the cauldron to kill her. I didn't think that was the intent and honestly didn't think the cauldron would kill Reign since she flew out of it without a problem at the start of the episode.

So the witches that shrugged off being shot multiple times by Kryptonite bullets go down easy when slapped with Kryptonite cuffs? Okay, sure. It really is whatever by this point.

I didn't like Jimmy outing himself as Guardian for several reasons. The first is that he has barely been Guardian this season and he doesn't seem to be that well known in the city. The second reason is that it is treated as an afterthought in the episode. The third reason is that he only does it because he takes his helmet off to tell a woman he will save her child and she calms down. Honestly, if he had left the helmet on and said and done the same thing the woman probably would have calmed down.

Alura and Argo felt wasted. I think part of the reason is because the writers didn't allow enough time for Kara to truly absorb what it meant to be home again. Instead that was shoe-horned in with the guns are bad plot and so Kara's decision to stay on Earth felt hollow, especially since we have seen her retreat from her Kara Danvers persona this season. I can't remember the last time we saw Kara even doing her job or if she even has her job any more.

My'rnn's sacrifice was really well done, and his last scene with J'onn was sad and effective. That whole sub-plot was a highlight of the season.

J'onn leaving the DEO to spend more time among the people and taking the chance to enjoy life was a nice development for the character and fitting with everything he has gone through.

Alex becoming head of the DEO is a nice touch and affords her the chance to adopt a child. I do hope though she gets a new romantic interest next season.

I did like the ending, showing that there is a consequence to Supergirl using time travel. She has created a clone of herself which ends up in Siberia. I guess this will be a take on the Red Son comic, and maybe even a dash of the Dark Supergirl thrown in. I am curious as to whether this Kara has all of the memories of the original or if she is a blank slate.

As you can tell, I was not a fan of this episode. Compared to the finales in the past two seasons it just doesn't hold up. There wasn't as much build up to it and there was just too much crammed in it. Season 3 as a whole felt rather shaky and like the writers didn't know what to do. Hopefully they can course correct in season 4.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,660 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:00 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 June 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

Getting rid of Winn. According to interviews, the actor was ready to move on but still. I figure if they had actually done something with Winn this season he might have decided to stay.

I don't know about that. From what I gather, Jeremy Jordan's first love is musical theater and he wanted to get back to that. Which suggests he would've moved on anyway.

And I think he did fantastic work in a couple of episodes this season, particularly the one with Winn's mother.

What a disappointing end to Reign. It felt like the writers created this powerful, complicated villain and then had no idea what to do with her so they had her locked up for a good chunk of the season and then just use some stupid magic fountain that exists in someone's mind to get rid of her.

It's an alternate mystical dimension of some sort, albeit accessed mentally. I guess it's like the demon dimension in Legends of Tomorrow where Sara and Nora were trapped while their bodies were possessed by Mallus.

The time travel. Seriously, what was that? Reign kills several characters before dying herself and Supergirl feels she has betrayed her values and can suddenly just time travel at will? I know there was more to it than that but it literally came out of nowhere and was so deus ex machina.

It could've been worse. At least she didn't spin the Earth backward.

What bugs me is that it doesn't seem to make sense -- Supergirl realizes she was wrong to kill Reign and needs to find another way, but she ends up finding a way that just gets Reign devoured by demons or whatever? How is that different? I guess maybe the idea was that Reign was trapped in some sort of mystical Phantom Zone equivalent rather than killed, but if so, it wasn't well-conveyed.

I didn't like Jimmy outing himself as Guardian for several reasons. The first is that he has barely been Guardian this season and he doesn't seem to be that well known in the city.

I got the sense that he's established a reputation offscreen even though we didn't see it, not unlike Thunder in Black Lightning.

The third reason is that he only does it because he takes his helmet off to tell a woman he will save her child and she calms down. Honestly, if he had left the helmet on and said and done the same thing the woman probably would have calmed down.

Uhh, no, he clearly tried it with the helmet on and she just kept on panicking and trying to rush into the burning building. She didn't trust him to do it for her, not until he took the mask off.

I still think he could've just split the difference and switched to something like the original Jack Kirby Guardian helmet, which reveals the eyes and lower face in the vein of Batman's or Captain America's cowl. But I imagine the writers have a story direction they intend to go with James being outed.

I did like the ending, showing that there is a consequence to Supergirl using time travel. She has created a clone of herself which ends up in Siberia.

It wasn't the time travel that did it, it was the Harun'el rock. Remember, it also split Reign and Sam apart. It's apparently based on the black Kryptonite created by Smallville and later added to the comics, which was probably inspired in turn by the synthetic kryptonite from Superman III. Black Kryptonite splits a Kryptonian into good and evil halves. In the closing scene, we saw that when Supergirl grabbed the Harun'el to go into the Dark Valley, tendrils of black smoke rose from it, and the camera followed those tendrils to Siberia, where the duplicate Supergirl appeared.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users