Titans Trailer

Titans Teen Titans DC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

The first trailer for the live action Titans series, exclusive to the DC streaming service, has been released. It is, well, it's something.

Just based on this trailer, I wouldn't give this show a chance. It seems to be going so far out of its way to show how edgy and dark and grim it is. They seriously have Robin say "F Batman" after stabbing a man in the neck, shooting several men, and stepping on a guy's neck and breaking it.

Then we see Starfire burn at least one guy and I seriously doubt he survived. Then Dove is shown slashing a man's leg and drawing a copious amount of blood. That is so against the character (whether it is Don or Dawn in the role) that I wonder why they bothered using the character in the first place if they were going to go against the core belief of the character.

I have no problem with the series being darker or more mature but this just seems too far.

Granted, the series itself could be good. I am reserving judgment. I'll wait and see how reviews of the first few episodes go. However, this trailer hasn't changed my mind about not subscribing to the DC service. There is nothing they are putting on the service that has grabbed my attention. The older shows and movies I either already own or don't care about. I am glad that Young Justice has been brought back but I didn't like the second season and I'm not in a rush to watch the third. Plus, I already pay for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I don't need to add another subscription fee.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 19 July 2018 - 03:10 PM.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

Yeah, that looks pretty ridiculous.  More like a third-rate parody of a trailer than the real thing.  :D

And what is it with all these violent action trailers backed by hollow, reedy vocals?  It's really bizarre.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

I'll end up watching because (A) the new season of Young Justice was an immediate "Yes" for subscribing to the service for a while, and (B) I've wanted to see a live-action treatment for the Robin's for so long that I can't walk away without at least checking it out...

...but yeah, not an impressive trailer.  I've been realizing lately that I'm completely out of patience for shows that are all grimdark and scowling and humankind-is-evil.  They're going to need to get to the Titan's as actual *FRIENDS* pretty quick, or introduce some of Dick's quippiness, or *something* if it has a chance for me to hang around.

And on the shallow end:  Man, I really hope the production's protestations that Starfire's look isn't representative of the full show are true, because that wig belongs up alongside the Inhumans Medusa one for "what were they thinking" quotient.

Edited by Niko, 20 July 2018 - 06:47 AM.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,688 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:45 PM

I'm not crazy about how they've interpreted Starfire's hair, but the glowing effect in her hair when she uses her powers is impressive, an interesting interpretation of the comics' conceit of drawing her hair like a smoke trail when she flew.

As for Raven, it's interesting how much they've modeled her look on the Glen Murakami character design from the 2003 animated series.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

View PostNiko, on 19 July 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

I'll end up watching because (A) the new season of Young Justice was an immediate "Yes" for subscribing to the service for a while, and (B) I've wanted to see a live-action treatment for the Robin's for so long that I can't walk away without at least checking it out...

...but yeah, not an impressive trailer.  I've been realizing lately that I'm completely out of patience for shows that are all grimdark and scowling and humankind-is-evil.  They're going to need to get to the Titan's as actual *FRIENDS* pretty quick, or introduce some of Dick's quippiness, or *something* if it has a chance for me to hang around.

And on the shallow end:  Man, I really hope the production's protestations that Starfire's look isn't representative of the full show are true, because that wig belongs up alongside the Inhumans Medusa one for "what were they thinking" quotient.

I agree with you about the grim dark shows and being sick of them. Same with the fact that the Titans need to be friend sooner rather later. I don't want to watch a show with them at each other's throat.

Yeah, it is a bad wig. Here's hoping it is ditched rather quickly.

It is interesting to watch a lot of people upset about Robin's F Batman line yet have no problem with him seemingly killing people and using a gun. That is what worries me more.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,486 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:07 AM

Ye-eah, I'm going to give this one a pass.  

While Titans also did dark and gritty storylines (which is where I even stopped perusing them at the store), this really doesn't appeal to me.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,688 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:38 AM

Trailers aren't always representative of the things they promote -- they tend to focus on one specific facet per trailer -- so I'm not ready to give up on the show yet. The darkness doesn't appeal, but other things seem promising, and it is from Berlanti Productions, which is encouraging.

I read an interview with, I think, Geoff Johns saying that the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans was daring and envelope-pushing for its day, and they're trying to make this the same way. Which, of course, means it has to go farther because the envelope is much larger now. But I hope they understand that doesn't just mean doing things for the sake of shock value. It should be more about finding innovative ways to tell superhero stories, and going richer and deeper with characters and drama.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Titans, Teen Titans, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users