Aquaman and Shazam Trailers

DC Aquaman Shazam

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:18 PM

I have to say, both of these trailers look amazing. Granted, that doesn't mean the movies will be good but I am being optimistic. DC needs these movies, and the Wonder Woman sequel, to do good. Then maybe they can solidify some of their movie plans instead of announcing tons of movies and then never saying anything about them again or changing them around, like the Suicide Squad sequel that became a Birds of Prey movie and than a Harley Quinn solo movie and now might be Birds of Prey again.

The Aquaman movie looks suitably epic and it is using the underwater locations to great effect. It is a setting we haven't seen in a superhero movie before and they are really going for it. Lots of cool ocean creatures and more fantastic ones. I'm not sure, but those creatures on the boat might be the Trench.

Black Manta looks good. I have really come to appreciate him as a villain since the New 52 and Rebirth Aquaman comics. Mera also looks good, though her hair seems to be much redder than it was in Justice League.

No more pushing the water away to talk, like in Justice League. It looks like they just talk normally.

Shazam looks hilarious. At first I thought they were going to go the horrendous Geoff Johns New 52 reboot where Billy and Freddy were liars and criminals based on the start of the trailer but thankfully that didn't happen.

The comedy was spot on and I laughed quite a few times. They do seem to have captured the tone of a young boy getting superpowers and an adult body quite well.

The costume looks great. Very comics accurate.

Nice to see Superman and Batman paraphernalia in the kids' room. It makes sense they would look up to them and want to emulate them.

I have my fingers crossed that these movies do well critically and financially so the DCEU (or Worlds of DC as it is rumored to be called now) will be back on track. Now if they will just do a Man of Steel sequel.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,509 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

Well, OK, Aquaman is one I'm going to definitely check out ... SHAZAM, I'm going to wait for the reviews before deciding.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,731 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:40 AM

Shazam! looks fun. Aquaman just feels by-the-numbers, with formulaic dialogue and plot beats, though Momoa has certainly improved as an actor since his mumbly Stargate Atlantis days.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,544 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

Unfortunately, they both look like a bunch of cliches interspersed with calculated punchlines. I was hoping that SHAZAM would go for the CC Beck vibe rather than just another generic superhero movie.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:40 AM

I love for one-liner responses what a mix of opinions we have here. :)

I'm on the "Shazam looks fun" side of things - that boy from "It" who's his best friend has a lot of charm... he gives me a bit of a throwback vibe to the snarky kids of older films like the Goonies or various Corey films.

Any interest I have in Aquaman is almost entirely on the "Jason Momoa suuuuure is pretty" side of the spectrum... but there are worse ways to spend two hours. :)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:01 AM

Like Niko said, the diversity of opinion here is great.

As I said, I think both movies look good. I think I am looking forward to Aquaman more, but that is because they seem to be basing it off of the New 52 and Rebirth Aquaman stories. I would argue that from the New 52 to Rebirth to now Aquaman has been the most consistent comic in terms of characters, plot, and quality out of every book DC has published. Characters and situations first introduced by Geoff Johns in the New 52 are still around now. Every creative team has more or less built on what the last one did instead of throwing it all out the window and starting fresh.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,299 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, diversity of opinion!  I love the look of Aquaman, especially that it will gradually give him a look that is more like his comic book look (and less gray).  I'm super excited about that.  I'm way less interested in Shazam, but at this point would go see it with my son. Otherwise, it looks very much like I'm waiting for this on Amazon or Netflix.  I could be persuaded, but am not yet.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DC, Aquaman, Shazam

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users