Godzilla Godzilla 2 King of the Monsters Renaissance Pictures

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,509 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

Hunh.  Well, I like this rendition of “Clair de Lune,” and since it is giant monster action, I’ll be checking it out.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 23 July 2018 - 11:24 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,509 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:02 AM

You know, I’ve watched this trailer a number of times, and well, something feels off.

I can’t say it was the whole environmental aspect of it, as that was present in a number of Toho productions as well.

But the trailer seems to embody the American concept that the world ain’t big enough for Humanity and the Titans – one of us has got to go.  This, as opposed to learning to live with such hazards, and pray they don’t visit your town, much as one would concerning tsunamis, earthquakes, forest fires, or hurricanes.

Mind you, I’m still interested in seeing it, but the message the trailer is emphasizing seems particularly nihilistic for a movie featuring Japanese Kaiju.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 01 August 2018 - 12:40 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:18 PM

Well, people only live with earthquakes and hurricanes because they have to-- if they could eliminate them, they surely would. Also, the main characters seem to be eco-terrorists who want to find the Titans so that they can save the world by eliminating humanity.

What bothers me, of course, is that Godzilla was a metaphor for atomic destruction. If they need a metaphor for environmental destruction, they should create a new monster.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,732 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 31 July 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

What bothers me, of course, is that Godzilla was a metaphor for atomic destruction. If they need a metaphor for environmental destruction, they should create a new monster.

Godzilla and other kaiju have been metaphors for environmental destruction many times over the history of the franchise. It's been around for 64 years and 9 different continuities in Japan alone, so of course the kaiju have served all sorts of different allegorical goals, some of them directly opposed to each other. (For instance, in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla -- who'd been a deadly threat to Japan in the previous two movies -- was suddenly portrayed as Japan's spiritual protector who'd helped save a band of Japanese soldiers from Americans in WWII; yet a decade later in Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, Godzilla was possessed by the spirits of Imperial Japan's victims and was coming to take vengeance on Japan for its crimes.) Anti-pollution messages were also quite common in the Godzilla films of the late '60s and '70s, most obviously in Godzilla vs. Hedorah, aka Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster. Environmentalist themes were common in the Heisei-series ('80s-'90s) films as well; for instance, the latter kaiju in Godzilla vs. Biollante was an allegory for the supposed dangers of genetic engineering.

Indeed, while Godzilla started out as an allegory for the threat of nuclear weapons, he was often later portrayed as an allegory for the public's fears of nuclear power, which is very much an environmentalist theme. The Heisei-era films played up this angle heavily, adding the concept that Godzilla was a living nuclear reactor and fed on fuel from power plants (an idea they cribbed from Gamera, by the way). The final film of that continuity, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, had Godzilla's reactor run out of control and threaten a meltdown that would destroy the world. More recently, in Shin Godzilla, Godzilla was mutated from sea creatures that fed on nuclear waste.

Even the second Godzilla movie, 1955's Godzilla Raids Again, portrayed Godzilla less as a nuclear allegory and more as an embodiment of the kind of natural disasters that the Japanese people have been dealing with throughout their history -- pretty much exactly as G-Man said, a massive threat that you could only try to live with while carrying on with your normal life as best you could. (Rodan from 1956 was also along these lines.) Other films have portrayed Godzilla as an embodiment of nature's power and a humbling reminder that the Earth does not exist merely for humans' benefit; Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is a leading example of that theme.

Godzilla is like Batman -- a character that's been repeatedly transformed to be many different, often contradictory things, but has always retained his essential identity nonetheless. That very flexibility is what makes the character so enduring.

Edited by Christopher, 31 July 2018 - 06:53 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:53 AM

In the novel Godzilla 2000 by Marc Cerasini he does have the people of the U.S. come to view Godzilla as more or less a natural disaster that you hope won't hit your home and will be over with soon. Godzilla basically walks from the West Coast to the East Coast, leaving a trail of destruction. After Godzilla shrugs off all the military attacks and survives a giant tornado the policy does become just to more or less leave him alone and hope he leaves the country soon.

I'm excited for this sequel. I liked the first one, even if I thought it could have used more actual scenes of Godzilla and that Brian Cranston's character shouldn't have been killed off.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 JudasRimmer

JudasRimmer

Emperor of Incompetence

• Islander
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:49 PM

That looks awesome - I'll probably watch that next year ; have to re-watch the 2014 one too as I've forgotten the back-story to it.

It also reminded me of the Godzilla spoof scene in Austin Powers - "except it's not!"

Dave.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godzilla, Godzilla 2, King of the Monsters, Renaissance Pictures

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users