• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

This is by far the worst book I've ever read. Absolute garbage, poorly written. On par with Anne McCaffrey or J. K. Rowling.

Comes across as a book for 10-year-olds, written by a functionally illiterate 12-year-old.

Whatever happened to writers who could actually write?
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

Food for thought: https://www.dataloun...-badly-written-

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,509 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

I think it depends on what is supposed to be considered good writing.  I remember in high school getting into some high falutin literature that I found to be nigh unreadable.  Which, considering this is what they were foisting off on us, it was no wonder a lot of guys never got into reading as a pastime.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:46 PM

High School Lit is all about the teacher.

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,509 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

I cannot disagree with that statement ;)

But out of curiosity, who would you consider a good writer, and why?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Take any book by Reginald Hill and compare it to, say, Life Blood by the late Carolyn Llewellyn. Classic English-style novel, great writing, both writers seem identical. The reasons are too numerous to go into here, but much of it is the fact that both are well-grounded in grammar, sentence & paragraph construction, vocabulary & usage, etc.

Bad writers tend to know little or nothing about sentence and paragraph construction, are confused about how to use their word-things, tend not to work from an outline, tend to take on grating mannerisms in their writing precisely because they don't know what they're doing, or why.

Some examples are: a character's eyes repeatedly "cutting" one way or another, characters repeatedly "scissoring" while in their death throes (something that doesn't happen in real life), and so on.

Tom Clancy is a terrible writer mainly because he never learned how to do characterisations. All his characters may as well be one and the same character because they all speak with the same voice. Any kid from a high school lit class could do better.

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,509 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

Hmmm … I haven’t read (much less heard) of Reginald Hill or Carolyn Llewellyn.

Would you consider either Dashiell Hammett or Raymond Chandler good writers?  

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 09 August 2018 - 01:24 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#8 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

If you want good character writing id recommend anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden or Jasper Fforde.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users