• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,137 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

Why am I the first one posting this? :D This news is ~22 hours old as I understand it ;)

In the U.S. will be thru CBS All-Access, ETA fall 2019.

Rolling Stones:
https://www.rollings...-picard-706697/

Edited by sierraleone, 05 August 2018 - 02:12 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,688 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:37 PM

What's more, my friend and fellow Star Trek novelist Kirsten Beyer is apparently the originator of the idea and will be part of the show's creative team, along with several of her fellow Discovery staffers, as well as novelist Michael Chabon.

https://trekmovie.co...card-announced/
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:25 PM

Of all the new Trek projects that have been announced, this is the only one that interests me even slightly.  The fact that the project is under the direction of the same people who brought us JJ Trek and Discovery does not bode well for its quality-- on the other hand, it's the only project that may actually be a direct continuation of original Trek, and Stewart has undoubtedly negotiated himself some creative control, so that leaves room for some hope.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,688 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:34 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 05 August 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

The fact that the project is under the direction of the same people who brought us JJ Trek and Discovery does not bode well for its quality...

The only person involved with either Discovery or this who had any connection with the Kelvin films is Alex Kurtzman. Other than him, they have no writers or producers in common at all (though they do share a few production staffers like alien makeup designer Neville Page and ship/tech designer John Eaves).

Also, this show will be without Gretchen Berg & Aaron Harberts, the showrunners to DSC season 1 who were fired partway through season 2. What I gather is that a lot of season 1's problems were a result of their decisions, so that's an encouraging sign for the future. Plus the involvement of acclaimed novelist Michael Chabon on the Picard show's staff is a hell of a coup. There's also James Duff, who was brought in to replace Berg & Harberts on DSC and has no prior Trek experience, so he's an unknown quantity.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

Actually, he wrote "FORTUNATE SON", a season 1 episode of ENTERPRISE.

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,688 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 05 August 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

Actually, he wrote "FORTUNATE SON", a season 1 episode of ENTERPRISE.

Ah, okay. Still, that was a single freelance script, which is a far cry from being a co-showrunner.

Facebook Author Page

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:17 PM

Here's a great little documentary that sums up the Discovery debacle, along with information about the impact of rights, contracts, and merchandising, and how it might all affect Star Trek:  The Next Picard.

Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,688 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:23 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 13 August 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

Here's a great little documentary that sums up the Discovery debacle, along with information about the impact of rights, contracts, and merchandising, and how it might all affect Star Trek:  The Next Picard.

That's not a "great little documentary," it's paranoid nonsense from some conspiracy theorists who have no idea what they're talking about. It's a total fabrication and you might as well be posting a Flat-Earther video. Here's a TrekBBS thread where the video is debunked: https://www.trekbbs....reasons.295463/

Facebook Author Page

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:17 PM

I'll give this one a try because it will be nice to see Stewart being Picard again and I hope we see other TNG characters as well.

The only reason I wish this hadn't happened is because of the Treklit novels. They have set up a great post-series/movies universe and this new show is bound to contradict a lot of what the novels have established. I would hate to see the novels as they are now done away with but if that does happen I only hope the series are given a nice send-off.

I'm not going to rage against the new series like I've seen some fans do. If Pocket believes they can bring new readers and attention to the novels by doing away with the novel-verse continuity and setting new books in the new Picard series timeline then I'll be fine with that because at least we did get a decade or more of the novel-verse.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,688 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 16 August 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

I'll give this one a try because it will be nice to see Stewart being Picard again and I hope we see other TNG characters as well.

I'm actually more interested to see what new characters they come up with.

The only reason I wish this hadn't happened is because of the Treklit novels. They have set up a great post-series/movies universe and this new show is bound to contradict a lot of what the novels have established. I would hate to see the novels as they are now done away with but if that does happen I only hope the series are given a nice send-off.

It happened before, to the loose '80s novel continuity when TNG came along. It's the occupational hazard of any tie-in series. Heck, it's the occupational hazard of all science fiction that it will eventually be rendered obsolete by the advance of real-world science or simply the march of the calendar. I feel lucky to have been part of building the ongoing novel continuity for the past 15 years, but I've always known we were probably living on borrowed time.

I'm not going to rage against the new series like I've seen some fans do. If Pocket believes they can bring new readers and attention to the novels by doing away with the novel-verse continuity and setting new books in the new Picard series timeline then I'll be fine with that because at least we did get a decade or more of the novel-verse.

It's not a matter of Pocket's belief. The job of licensed tie-ins is to tie in, to follow the lead of the original work that they're adapting and supporting. Whatever Star Trek does onscreen, the tie-ins are obligated to remain consistent with, because that's what we've been commissioned to do by the folks who own the franchise.

Facebook Author Page

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:09 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 16 August 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

Yeah, I really hope we at least get cameos by all of the old crew, if not substantial roles. Data's a bit of a problem, but I can think of several ways to deal with that.

#12 Kosmokrat

Kosmokrat
  • Islander
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

View PostChristopher, on 13 August 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

View PostRJDiogenes, on 13 August 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

That's not a "great little documentary," it's paranoid nonsense from some conspiracy theorists who have no idea what they're talking about. It's a total fabrication and you might as well be posting a Flat-Earther video. Here's a TrekBBS thread where the video is debunked: https://www.trekbbs....reasons.295463/

Woah, that are some very aggressive and brutal words towards Midnight Edge.
I also saw this video and one or two others from them before.
They come across as well informed and knowledgeable and provide info that came true, which proves my impression that they have some inside knowledge.
So I must wonder how you come to such an aggressive and harsh opinion and even playing the lately in abundance overused "conspiracy theorist" card for everyone daring to deviate from "acceptable opinion".

BTW that link you provided allegedly debunking them does not work.

Edited by Kosmokrat, 17 August 2018 - 06:24 AM.

Sentient life is momentary, lovely, even precious.
But in the time of the universe - our time - insignificant.
What is life, what is death? Don't you see... it's all the same.

#13 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,972 posts

Posted Today, 07:23 PM

It happened before, to the loose '80s novel continuity when TNG came along. It's the occupational hazard of any tie-in series. Heck, it's the occupational hazard of all science fiction that it will eventually be rendered obsolete by the advance of real-world science or simply the march of the calendar. I feel lucky to have been part of building the ongoing novel continuity for the past 15 years, but I've always known we were probably living on borrowed time.

I knew that it was always a possibility that the current form of Treklit could come to an end but I was hoping it would live in for a few more years. I only just started reading the novels a few years back and they rekindled my interest in Star Trek.

Still, there are a lot of books I haven't read yet, which is why I am slowly making my way through my great Treklit chronological reading marathon. This way I read the novels more or less in order and get the novels I missed the first time through, like your Department of Temporal Investigations novels.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,688 posts

Posted Today, 07:32 PM

Well, at this point, we don't know what might happen with the novels. For what it's worth, the novel continuity survived Enterprise. There were a few cases where that show contradicted what previous novels had established -- on things like the appearance of the Tholians or the name and climate of the Andorian homeworld, for instance -- and the novels just incorporated the new versions and either reconciled them or just pretended they'd been that way all along.

Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users