Power Rangers 25th anniversary Airs August 28

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

Posted Image

The Super Ninja Steel Rangers team up with Legendary Rangers in an epic battle to save the world.

I thought I would go ahead and make a post about this. We have reached the 25th anniversary of Power Rangers and we are getting this special episode to commemorate it.

Honestly, I don't expect much from the episode itself. They are bringing back a lot of Rangers which is good and there are some I'm excited to see but it is only 22 minutes. That just doesn't seem to be enough time to really pay tribute to the series and the returning characters. Plus, we all know Tommy is going to hog the spotlight like he is hogging that poster.

I have a feeling this is going to be like "Legendary Battle" before it got the extended edition: Rushed and disappointing. Still, I'm going in with an open mind. "Forever Red" was really good despite only being 22 minutes long.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

I'm not expecting much from the special, since Ninja Steel is one of the worst Power Rangers seasons. The cast is likeable enough -- especially the magnificent Chrysti Ane (Chrystiane Lopez) as Sarah, who's a stunning athletic beauty and a charming, capable actress to boot -- but the writing is dumbed-down and sitcommy and the storylines very simplistic. Even though it's from Chip (aka Judd) Lynn, the producer behind many of the franchise's finest, smartest seasons (he did Turbo, Space, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, the latter part of RPM, and Dino Charge/Super Charge), it's been far more simplistic and shallow than most of his previous work, as if he's under pressure from Nickelodeon or Saban to dumb things down.

The thing is, I've spent the summer watching the Super Sentai seasons that ShoutFactory TV has been releasing for free streaming on its website -- over the summer, they've released Carranger, Megaranger, Gingaman, and GoGoFive, and it looks like they may be putting up Timeranger soon. (Those correspond to Turbo through Time Force.) Carranger was kind of a goofy, self-satirical season, entertaining but fluffy, but the ones that follow it are much more rich and dramatic, especially Gingaman and GoGoFive. I've also gotten to watch fansubs of the current Lupinranger VS Patranger and Kamen Rider Build over the past few months thanks to a poster on another board putting up the episodes, and they're both excellent -- the gadgets, weapons, robots and such are ridiculously toyish in both, but they both have smart, richly character-driven writing. Build in particular is remarkably rich, funny, dramatic, and powerful; it's striking how every fight sequence drives character and story rather than just being empty action. So after all that smart, sophisticated tokusatsu writing, it's going to be a culture shock to go back to the insipidity of Super Ninja Steel.

Edited by Christopher, 25 August 2018 - 10:46 AM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

The new episode that aired on Saturday, "Outfoxed" had Wes, Gemma, and Koda make an appearance. Well, kind of since they wore robes and hid their identities but it was easy to tell it was them. It was a nice and unexpected surprise to see them show up but they didn't add anything to the episode. There was also no good in-story reason for them to hide who they were. They should have just introduced themselves as Power Rangers.

I also didn't like that the Ninja Steel Rangers had to earn the new Zords. First, that isn't something that has been established throughout the season the way the Mystic Rangers had to earn new spells in Mystic Force. Second, we've seen these Rangers perform all kinds of good deeds throughout the season so to reuse to give new Zords until they do random acts of kindness felt dumb. Madame Odious is literally only a few hours away from laying waste to the city with her Zord but the Rangers have to jump through some dumb hoops to save thousands of lives.

I do have some hopes that the next season will be better now since Hasbro is running things. However, I believe Judd Lynn is still in charge of the show so I'm not holding my breath. He has given the fans great seasons in the past but it feels like he is stuck in a rut. Ninja Steel is basically a clone of Dino Charge, and I wasn't that big of a fan of Dino Charge.

The show needs a new showrunner; someone like Bruce Kalish or Eddie Guzelian who will come in and shake things up and provide a fresh perspective on the show. I know a lot of fans look down on Kalish's four seasons but I think they are better than they get credit for and they are each visually and thematically distinct from one another. Kalish did a good job of world building on all four of his seasons.

The half of RPM that Guzelian did was simply amazing. While Lynn did a good job with the second half, it lacked the spark that made the first half of RPM magic.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:01 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 August 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

The new episode that aired on Saturday, "Outfoxed" had Wes, Gemma, and Koda make an appearance.

How do you know it was them? I could've sworn the main one was Jason David Frank; even with the voice distortion, the speech rhythm sounded like him.

I do have some hopes that the next season will be better now since Hasbro is running things. However, I believe Judd Lynn is still in charge of the show so I'm not holding my breath. He has given the fans great seasons in the past but it feels like he is stuck in a rut. Ninja Steel is basically a clone of Dino Charge, and I wasn't that big of a fan of Dino Charge.

I thought Dino Charge was fairly good, and significantly better and richer than Ninja Steel has been. There were some worthwhile character arcs there that we just aren't getting the like of this season. I feel the series has been a shadow of its former self ever since Saban brought it back. Samurai was terrible, though that was mainly due to truly awful casting, and due to an overly slavish adaptation of a very Japanese storyline that felt incongruous and appropriative when told with non-Japanese characters. Megaforce was more watchable, but it was basically just an attempt to redo MMPR, and it totally botched the Gokaiger adaptation and the anniversary season. Dino Charge (the first series that Lynn came back for) is the only series of the second Saban era that I felt had any real substance. So I suspect the weakness of the current series is more due to Saban and/or Nickelodeon than it is to Lynn. Hopefully the switch to Hasbro will allow for some improvement.

I know a lot of fans look down on Kalish's four seasons but I think they are better than they get credit for and they are each visually and thematically distinct from one another. Kalish did a good job of world building on all four of his seasons.

I felt they were a mixed bag. The storytelling in S.P.D. was ambitious, but I could never really connect with the characters or the cast, so I never even watched the whole thing. I liked Mystic Force fine. Operation Overdrive was sort of mediocre. But Jungle Fury is one of the all-time best Power Rangers seasons.

The half of RPM that Guzelian did was simply amazing. While Lynn did a good job with the second half, it lacked the spark that made the first half of RPM magic.

Agreed. I'd love it if they gave Guzelian another shot.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

How do you know it was them? I could've sworn the main one was Jason David Frank; even with the voice distortion, the speech rhythm sounded like him.

When the cloaked Rangers are watching the Zord battle the Red Ranger crosses his arms and you can see his Chrono morpher. It also just sounds more like Jason Faunt to me than JDF. With the other two I just recognized their voices plus Koda's speech patterns are distinct to his character. I then checked other PR sites and everyone agrees that those are the three Rangers featured.

I thought Dino Charge was fairly good, and significantly better and richer than Ninja Steel has been. There were some worthwhile character arcs there that we just aren't getting the like of this season. I feel the series has been a shadow of its former self ever since Saban brought it back. Samurai was terrible, though that was mainly due to truly awful casting, and due to an overly slavish adaptation of a very Japanese storyline that felt incongruous and appropriative when told with non-Japanese characters. Megaforce was more watchable, but it was basically just an attempt to redo MMPR, and it totally botched the Gokaiger adaptation and the anniversary season. Dino Charge (the first series that Lynn came back for) is the only series of the second Saban era that I felt had any real substance. So I suspect the weakness of the current series is more due to Saban and/or Nickelodeon than it is to Lynn. Hopefully the switch to Hasbro will allow for some improvement.

I don't hate Dino Charge and agree that it does a lot of things right but I just found it a middle of the road season with bland villains (until Heckyl shows up) and way too many Rangers and Zords. That last bit can't really be blamed on anyone but the Sentai original but it was still something I disliked. I also just didn't really connect to any of the Rangers.

Samurai was pretty bad though there are some good episodes scattered throughout and I love Mike to death. He makes that season tolerable to me. Agreed about Megaforce/Super Megaforce. The season has grown on me after re-watching it but it is full of wasted potential and cardboard cut-out characters. One thing it does have going for it is a very handsome cast of male Rangers. Oh, and Robo Knight. I love me some Robo Knight.

I felt they were a mixed bag. The storytelling in S.P.D. was ambitious, but I could never really connect with the characters or the cast, so I never even watched the whole thing. I liked Mystic Force fine. Operation Overdrive was sort of mediocre. But Jungle Fury is one of the all-time best Power Rangers seasons.

S.P.D. will always have a special place in my heart because it brought me back to the franchise after I quit watching at the start of Ninja Storm. Of course, now I'm ashamed that I quit watching during NS as that has become one of my favorite seasons. I felt that S.P.D. had some good world-building and the setting was pretty unique. I thought the characters were interesting and meshed well. I would marry Bridge in a heartbeat and be besties with Z.

I love Mystic Force despite its flaws. While it couldn't give focus to some of the Rangers like poor Madison it did a great job of building up side characters like Phineas and LeeLee. It also had a great story concerning the original war to beat back Morticon and the Master and it all tied together quite well.

Operation Overdrive is another season that has grown on me even if it will never be one of my favorites. I liked the idea of a globe trotting season even if they didn't have the budget to pull it off. I also liked having several different villain factions. Mack is also a great Red Ranger, and it was a nice change of pace to have someone who truly wants to be a Ranger during an era of reluctant Reds.

I totally agree about Jungle Fury. I disliked it when it first aired but after re-watching it on DVD I have come to love it. JF is an amazing PR season and one I can watch over and over again.

Agreed. I'd love it if they gave Guzelian another shot.

Same. He deserves to be able to produce an entire season of PR. Maybe Hasbro can be convinced to give him a shot, if he even wants to return to the franchise.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 August 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

When the cloaked Rangers are watching the Zord battle the Red Ranger crosses his arms and you can see his Chrono morpher. It also just sounds more like Jason Faunt to me than JDF.

I caught the Chrono Morpher, but I figured maybe all three were using them to travel through time. After all, we see Tommy with his original Power Morpher in a publicity photo for the special but as the Black Dino Ranger in the TV promo, so he's accessing at least two power sets.

I don't hate Dino Charge and agree that it does a lot of things right but I just found it a middle of the road season with bland villains (until Heckyl shows up) and way too many Rangers and Zords. That last bit can't really be blamed on anyone but the Sentai original but it was still something I disliked.

There are other seasons with large numbers of Rangers, particularly last year's Uchuu Sentai Kyuuranger, which actually means Space Task Force Nine-ranger, though it ended up with 12 Rangers in all.

I also just didn't really connect to any of the Rangers.

I was quite fond of Shelby, and Tyler was pretty likeable.

Agreed about Megaforce/Super Megaforce. The season has grown on me after re-watching it but it is full of wasted potential and cardboard cut-out characters. One thing it does have going for it is a very handsome cast of male Rangers.

For me, the female Rangers are often the saving grace of a weak season. But casting for looks isn't always a good thing. Megaforce's Red Ranger was, I think, a model with no prior acting experience, and it showed. He was the most vacant, bland, mannequin-like Red Ranger we've ever had.

S.P.D. will always have a special place in my heart because it brought me back to the franchise after I quit watching at the start of Ninja Storm. Of course, now I'm ashamed that I quit watching during NS as that has become one of my favorite seasons.

I hated Ninja Storm. The characters were annoying, constantly spouting some distorted idea of teen slang in place of actual characterization, and the villains were unpleasant and unfunny.

I love Mystic Force despite its flaws. While it couldn't give focus to some of the Rangers like poor Madison it did a great job of building up side characters like Phineas and LeeLee. It also had a great story concerning the original war to beat back Morticon and the Master and it all tied together quite well.

Yeah, that was a good one.

I totally agree about Jungle Fury. I disliked it when it first aired but after re-watching it on DVD I have come to love it. JF is an amazing PR season and one I can watch over and over again.

You should try some of the Super Sentai seasons streaming on ShoutFactory TV's site. Many of them are smarter and more sophisticated than their PR adaptations -- or certainly more intense, with higher, life-and-death stakes and lots of impassioned melodrama. I particularly like Megaforce, Gingaman, and GoGoFive (corresponding to Space, Lost Galaxy, and Lightspeed Rescue). From what I've seen of Timeranger, I think it's perhaps the first case where the PR adaptation surpassed the original; it's essentially the same storyline and characters almost note-for-note, but Time Force added some new elements that deepened some of the character arcs and added complexity to the backstory. They're also going to release Jetman, the last pre-Power Rangers season, before much longer. I saw a fansub of that one a few years ago, and it's really impressive, with rich character drama.

Facebook Author Page

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

So Dimensions in Danger went about how I expected. There were some pleasant surprises but overall it was extremely rushed and some of the returning Rangers might as well not have been there since they did next to nothing.

My main problem was with all the Tommy worship that went on. I get that Tommy is extremely popular and he has more Ranger powers than anyone else (unless you count the Megaforce Rangers that had access to all Ranger powers) but the episode devoted way too much time to him. While seeing him use the morpher to change into his various different Ranger outfits was cool, the overall battle just didn't matter. I didn't care to see Tommy fighting a robot version of himself. They should have taken that out and had Tommy simply do the various morphs in the final battle.

Speaking of, the battle was better than what we got with the Legendary Battle but not by much. It was still pretty rushed. Too much footage of just the Ninja Steel Rangers fighting grunts. Take some of that out and we could have had more new footage of the Rangers battling the Ranger robot army.

Still, it wasn't all bad. I did like seeing all the veteran Rangers again, especially Rocky and Kat. I just wish they had done more.

The Falcon Zord was a complete surprise. I didn not see that coming at all. It was a pretty cool moment. I had hopes we might see other Zords as well but I'm not complaining.

It is now firmly established that RPM and Dino Charge are their own dimensions, with the rest of the Ranger teams existing in the same dimension. That is pretty much what fans thought (and RPM was confirmed to be another dimension by Megaforce) but it is nice to have it official.

There is debate whether Tommy and Kat are married. They were shown to be married with in the Zeo Christmas special, and in an upcoming Power Ranger comic focusing on Tommy (though honestly are there any other) they are shown to be married with a son named JJ just like Tommy's son in this special. They did hold hands running through the dimensional gateway at the end but they never said they were married. It is fun to read the debates because there are some very vocal fans against the marriage.

I did not recognize Trent at first. I was wondering what past Ranger he was for a little bit.

There is supposedly going to be an extended version but I don't know how reliable that rumor is. If one does exist I hope we see more of the veteran Rangers and get an extended final fight.

I liked Dimensions in Danger but it could have been so much better. Between this and Legendary Battle it just feels like Saban doesn't know how to celebrate the big anniversaries properly. Disney at least gave OO a two part episode for Once A Ranger.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:26 PM

I saw all but the closing moments of "Dimensions in Danger," since I forgot to watch it live and my DVR cut off a bit early. (It was right after Tommy told Brody that "The Ranger legacy is in good--" Good what? Now I'll never know! Posted Image ) As I feared, it was cursory and weak. You can't do a decent crossover special in a measly 20 minutes, with no room for the characters to do much of anything or for any explanations to be given. (Like, where did Tommy get a "Master Morpher?" And how did Brody know who Tommy and Wes were?) It was just too cluttered and too rushed. Heck, when the 15 gathered Rangers all morphed, they didn't even get individual moments to pose and call out their names in the classic Sentai/Ranger manner.

The most interesting part was the fight sequence that was apparently taken from the Ninninger summer movie, with a rare look at the ninja-style tricks and techniques that the so-called Ninja Steel team hardly ever uses. It's a reminder of how much livelier and more creative Super Sentai is than the current version of Power Rangers, or indeed most versions.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 31 August 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

While seeing him use the morpher to change into his various different Ranger outfits was cool, the overall battle just didn't matter. I didn't care to see Tommy fighting a robot version of himself. They should have taken that out and had Tommy simply do the various morphs in the final battle.

Speaking of, the battle was better than what we got with the Legendary Battle but not by much. It was still pretty rushed. Too much footage of just the Ninja Steel Rangers fighting grunts. Take some of that out and we could have had more new footage of the Rangers battling the Ranger robot army.

I think the issue with both of those is that they were combining new footage of the veteran Rangers with footage from the Ninninger movie, the source of the villain, the castle, and the main team's action scenes. That's why they had the Ninja Steel Rangers split up from the veteran Rangers instead of mixing and matching -- because the NS team's fight was Japanese footage and the old Rangers' stuff was new footage. So they meshed imperfectly.

It is now firmly established that RPM and Dino Charge are their own dimensions, with the rest of the Ranger teams existing in the same dimension. That is pretty much what fans thought (and RPM was confirmed to be another dimension by Megaforce) but it is nice to have it official.

I'm not sure about S.P.D. being in the same dimension as the others, since I think it already had aliens living openly on Earth by now in its timeline. I know earlier crossovers treated it as part of the same reality, but events have evidently branched in a different direction by now.

I did not recognize Trent at first. I was wondering what past Ranger he was for a little bit.

I didn't recognize him at all, though I did recognize the White Dino Ranger costume.

I liked Dimensions in Danger but it could have been so much better. Between this and Legendary Battle it just feels like Saban doesn't know how to celebrate the big anniversaries properly. Disney at least gave OO a two part episode for Once A Ranger.

Well, Hasbro will be running things from Beast Morphers onward. Hopefully they'll do a better job.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Power Rangers, 25th anniversary, Airs August 28

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users