• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

Senator John McCain died today, following a battle with brain cancer that lasted over a year.

https://www.usatoday...ncer/955220001/

I had read that he was failing, but didn't expect it to come this soon; when I saw the news tonight, I felt...it's hard to explain, and I don't know if anyone besides Anakam will understand this, but I felt as if something like a tectonic plate had done a subtle shift somewhere.

I didn't always agree with him, but I respected him greatly.

Godspeed, Senator.

Peridot
Posted Image

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,809 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

I feel the same. I didn't always agree with him, but I always respected him. I found myself in tears when I first read about it. I was surprised it hit me so hard. I mean, I didn't agree with him politically, and still his death hit me. Maybe it is that he represents the last of the politicians I always respected from the other side. I'm not sure, but given the nature of politics today, Senator McCain's death feels like an era of good will is ending in American Politics.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

I'm in agreement with both of you. I'm not a Republican but I respected McCain a great deal. I thought (his VP notwithstanding) that he would have made a great President. I didn't always agree with his policies but he always seemed to be doing what he thought was the right thing for this country. Heck, he stood up to his own voters when he tried to stamp out the whole, "Obama is an evil Muslim out to ruin America" conspiracy theory during the campaign.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:37 PM

You can't replace a John McCain. When someone like him passes, the best thing everyone can do is try to step up and follow his example.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:19 AM

One of his memorials said that imagining Arizona without John McCain is like imagining Arizona without a Grand Canyon.

In that, he reminds me of another Arizonan and one-time presidential candidate, Barry Goldwater. To this day, many people on all sides of the (once diverse) political landscape lament that American conservatism, Republicanism and even the notion of party cooperation/compromise completely changed soon after he left the political scene. Interestingly, he was born in Arizona before it was even a state, but only died 20 years ago -- at the end of his 80s.

Lie McCain, Goldwater lived less than 90 years. Many of us have parents or grandparents that age. Things can change a lot in culture/politics within a human lifetime--or change back, even if we can't (at any one time) imagine how they could possibly do so. A human life is as uselessly short a yardstick for meaningful change as a dog's life. But arguably, it's the only meaningful yardstick for human change.

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:29 PM

Yes, Conservatism has changed. "Hijacked by kooks and evil-doers", in my estimation.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users