Doctor Who 3rd Doctor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

Posted Image

Season 8 begins with a strong story that brings the UNIT family into being and introduces one of the Doctor’s greatest villains, the Master.

I was worried about Jo. I had grown fond of Liz and had heard some bad things about Jo. I didn’t want to dislike her since she is going to be the companion for three seasons. Luckily, I think Jo is a great companion. Sure, she isn’t as intelligent as Liz but she isn’t some dumb young woman who is there to hand things to the Doctor liked I feared.

She has a lot of pluck and nerve. When she is ordered to stay behind while the Doctor goes to check out the circus she sneaks into Bessie and then rescues him. She also points out when the Doctor is being too arrogant. She helps keep him level headed and I think that is something this Doctor needs.

Captain Mike Yates is also introduced. I think he is another good addition, and not only because he is rather cute. He isn’t as severe as the Brigadier. He has a nice, charming personality. It is also nice for the Brig to have a permanent second-in-command unlike in the previous season. He seems to get along well with the other characters.

Then there is the Master. I was excited to see the original Master and he didn’t disappoint. He was a great villain and had good chemistry with Pertwee’s Doctor. The scenes featuring both of them really popped. He is such a deliciously evil presence. He is a pretty terrible villain but Roger Delgado imbues him with a lot of charm and wit so you hate him but like him at the same time.

My one complaint is story related. The Doctor is stuck on Earth because the Time Lords exiled him there because he was interfering too much. Here comes the Master, an evil renegade Time Lord who is on Earth to interfere and kill a lot of people. The Time Lords do absolutely nothing to stop him aside from warning the Doctor. Why exile the Doctor and let the Master roam free?

Pertwee has settled into the role of the Doctor quite nicely. This story showcases all the facets of his personality. His hubris is on full display, arrogantly telling off whomever he wants. His intellect is also put to great use as he tries to outwit the Master and find out the plans of the Autons. He also shows compassion when he refuses to fire Jo and keeps her around. His sly humor is also present.

The Autons were great here. I think this story showed just how pervasive an evil they can really be with the evil doll, the plastic chair, the flowers, the phone, and then the Autons themselves being brought to life by the Nestene.

The plan by the Master and the Autons is quite insidious. Giving away free flowers which, when activated, will smother people and kill a person within ten minutes is quite frightening. I also thought that the carnival masks the Autons wore were quite creepy.
There are some nice action scenes, especially at the end between the Autons and UNIT.

The scene where Mike is going to use the Doctor’s burner to make cocoa, followed by the Doctor’s reaction were quite priceless. I think adding Jo and Mike to the UNIT cast alongside the Brig and Benton was a genius move. They all work well together and bounce off one another in a good way.

One thing I didn’t like was the Master’s about take at the end simply because the Doctor said that the Nestene might not be able to tell the difference between the Master and humans. I feel that the Master gave in far too quickly considering how much time and energy he put into this plan.

I was hoping that Farrel would get a happy ending. I mean, the Master hypnotizes him and forces him to do terrible things. His father is killed by the Master. He finally breaks free of the Master’s control only to be shoved into a Master mask and shot dead. Poor bloke.

I understand that trapping the Master on Earth means he has to stay around and continue to give the Doctor hell, but I do wish he still had access to his TARDIS. It would give him a good advantage over the Doctor. Still, the Doctor shows just how smart he is by sabotaging the Master’s TARDIS.

All in all, this was a great way to begin the Third Doctor’s second season. The introduction of Jo, Mike, and the Master gives the story a nice little pep and spices things up. The story moves at a brisk pace being only four episodes long. I never once felt bored.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,716 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 August 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

I was worried about Jo. I had grown fond of Liz and had heard some bad things about Jo. I didn’t want to dislike her since she is going to be the companion for three seasons. Luckily, I think Jo is a great companion. Sure, she isn’t as intelligent as Liz but she isn’t some dumb young woman who is there to hand things to the Doctor liked I feared.

She has a lot of pluck and nerve. When she is ordered to stay behind while the Doctor goes to check out the circus she sneaks into Bessie and then rescues him. She also points out when the Doctor is being too arrogant. She helps keep him level headed and I think that is something this Doctor needs.

Jo is wonderful. She's sweet and kind and has the sort of heroism that comes from pure selfless love and compassion. She makes a habit of rushing into danger to help others, and she saves the Doctor and others more often than she's given credit for. Liz was never more than the Doctor's colleague; Jo becomes more like his surrogate daughter, and they have a wonderfully warm relationship.

Captain Mike Yates is also introduced. I think he is another good addition, and not only because he is rather cute. He isn’t as severe as the Brigadier. He has a nice, charming personality. It is also nice for the Brig to have a permanent second-in-command unlike in the previous season. He seems to get along well with the other characters.

Mike's okay, but he's no Benton.

Then there is the Master. I was excited to see the original Master and he didn’t disappoint. He was a great villain and had good chemistry with Pertwee’s Doctor. The scenes featuring both of them really popped. He is such a deliciously evil presence. He is a pretty terrible villain but Roger Delgado imbues him with a lot of charm and wit so you hate him but like him at the same time.

Yes, the Delgado seasons did a good job establishing the relationship between the Doctor and the Master -- formerly good friends who ended up on opposite sides, with the Doctor still regretting the loss of that friendship. They do have a tendency to end up having to work together when the Master's schemes run out of his control.

My one complaint is story related. The Doctor is stuck on Earth because the Time Lords exiled him there because he was interfering too much. Here comes the Master, an evil renegade Time Lord who is on Earth to interfere and kill a lot of people. The Time Lords do absolutely nothing to stop him aside from warning the Doctor. Why exile the Doctor and let the Master roam free?

Because they caught the Doctor. So they were able to remove the knowledge of time travel from his mind, thereby stranding him on Earth. They haven't been able to catch the Master. They aren't omnipotent.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,490 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

And it should be pointed out that the only reason why the Time Lords caught the Doctor was because he called on them for assistance (see the final episode of the Troughton era “the War Games” for the full details).

In short, the Time Lords are not nearly so omniscient and omnipotent as they would have you believe.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

This sounds pretty good, and I'd like to see the introduction of the Master. I was going to collect all of the Peter Davison DVDs, but maybe I'll collect a sample of each Doctor first. I think I've only seen complete stories of the First Doctor and the Peter Davison Doctor.  Possibly Tom Baker.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:56 PM

Jo is wonderful. She's sweet and kind and has the sort of heroism that comes from pure selfless love and compassion. She makes a habit of rushing into danger to help others, and she saves the Doctor and others more often than she's given credit for. Liz was never more than the Doctor's colleague; Jo becomes more like his surrogate daughter, and they have a wonderfully warm relationship.

She does seem like she will be a great companion. She has already shown a lot of good attributes in just this one story. Usually after I've watched a story and written a review I will look up reviews on-line. I was surprised by some of the hate I saw thrown Jo's way. To me she seems like a Classic Who Rose, or put another way Rose seems like a New Who Jo.

Mike's okay, but he's no Benton.

I do like Benton quite a lot as well.

Because they caught the Doctor. So they were able to remove the knowledge of time travel from his mind, thereby stranding him on Earth. They haven't been able to catch the Master. They aren't omnipotent.

And it should be pointed out that the only reason why the Time Lords caught the Doctor was because he called on them for assistance (see the final episode of the Troughton era “the War Games” for the full details).

In short, the Time Lords are not nearly so omniscient and omnipotent as they would have you believe.

I get those reasons, I do. The problem is they don't work here for this story. The Time Lords know that the Master is on Earth in whatever year it is supposed to be (I gather there is confusion as to when these UNIT stories are supposed to take place). A Time Lord shows up at the scene of the Master's first crime on Earth to warn the Doctor about the Master. Not only that, but the Time Lord knows that the Master has rigged the door to the radio room with an explosive. Obviously the Time Lords have pretty specific information about where and when the Master is and what he might be up to. They just seem not to care right here. There's also the fact that the Master is stranded on Earth in this time period at the end of the story meaning it shouldn't be that hard for the Time Lords to find him.

This sounds pretty good, and I'd like to see the introduction of the Master. I was going to collect all of the Peter Davison DVDs, but maybe I'll collect a sample of each Doctor first. I think I've only seen complete stories of the First Doctor and the Peter Davison Doctor.  Possibly Tom Baker.

I am liking the 3rd Doctor era a lot. Pertwee is a great Doctor and he is surrounded by a good cast. The stories have been solid, even if some of them tend to drag simply because of how many episodes they are.

If you're looking to get Peter Davison's run on DVD I'd hold off on getting the individual DVDs, at least for his first season. His entire first season is being released on Blu-Ray December 4 for $70 (at least on Amazon). That is cheaper than trying to buy the individual stories on DVD (again going by Amazon prices).

I have probably seen an equal amount of 3rd and 5th Doctor stories at this point, having watched both of their first seasons. I haven't watched any 1st Doctor stories. I have started a 2nd Doctor story ("Tomb of the Cybermen"). I watched the 4th Doctor's "Genesis of the Daleks" some years back on BBCAmerica  but remember little about it. I recently found the box set for "The E-Space Trilogy" starring the 4th Doctor that I bought some years back. I think I'll watch and review them soon. I haven't seen anything of the 6th or 7th Doctors yet.

A cheaper way to see all of Classic Who (with a few exceptions) is Britbox. It is what I am using. It is a streaming service that I've added on to my Amazon Prime account.

The exceptions are some, but not all, of the Dalek stories. I noticed that season 9 started at episode 5 so I looked up the episodes on-line and they comprise the "Day of the Daleks" story. I actually found the DVD rather cheap on eBay so I bought it. I think one other Dalek story from the 3rd Doctor era is missing but another one is on there. I'm not sure why some Dalek stories are on the streaming service and some aren't.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:04 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 August 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

If you're looking to get Peter Davison's run on DVD I'd hold off on getting the individual DVDs, at least for his first season. His entire first season is being released on Blu-Ray December 4 for $70 (at least on Amazon). That is cheaper than trying to buy the individual stories on DVD (again going by Amazon prices).  
Oh, good tip. That's exactly what I'll do.

I haven't watched any 1st Doctor stories.
I have the very first story on DVD, and I did see it on Channel 2 back in the day (not the original day, but back in the 70s, I think).  I love those old, very atmospheric black-and-white TV shows, and it even had cavemen.  :D

A cheaper way to see all of Classic Who (with a few exceptions) is Britbox. It is what I am using. It is a streaming service that I've added on to my Amazon Prime account.  
Speaking of old school, I still like to own stuff on physical media.  :lol:

The exceptions are some, but not all, of the Dalek stories. I noticed that season 9 started at episode 5 so I looked up the episodes on-line and they comprise the "Day of the Daleks" story. I actually found the DVD rather cheap on eBay so I bought it. I think one other Dalek story from the 3rd Doctor era is missing but another one is on there. I'm not sure why some Dalek stories are on the streaming service and some aren't.  
Perhaps they are among the lost episodes.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Oh, good tip. That's exactly what I'll do.

That is my plan as well. I was just going to buy the DVDs of the stories I liked but this is a better and cheaper route. Not only that, but the box set comes with new special features.

I have the very first story on DVD, and I did see it on Channel 2 back in the day (not the original day, but back in the 70s, I think).  I love those old, very atmospheric black-and-white TV shows, and it even had cavemen.  :D

I do plan on watching those older episodes eventually.

Speaking of old school, I still like to own stuff on physical media.  :lol:

Same here. I just suggested it because for whatever reason here in the States the Doctor Who DVDs have been discontinued so some of them are extremely expensive and sell for $100 or more.

I have already bought several DW DVDs and asked for and received several for my birthday. I bought Day of the Daleks, The Black Guardian Trilogy, The Five Doctors, and the Beneath the Surface box set.

Perhaps they are among the lost episodes.

That's what I thought at first but they are all on DVD. It is the reason I bought Day of the Daleks since it is the first 3rd Doctor Dalek story missing. The next one is in season 10 I believe but I think the one from season 11 is there.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,716 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:35 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 August 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

I was surprised by some of the hate I saw thrown Jo's way. To me she seems like a Classic Who Rose, or put another way Rose seems like a New Who Jo.

Interesting. I've heard Keith DeCandido make the same comparison. I've never quite seen it myself.

I get those reasons, I do. The problem is they don't work here for this story. The Time Lords know that the Master is on Earth in whatever year it is supposed to be (I gather there is confusion as to when these UNIT stories are supposed to take place). A Time Lord shows up at the scene of the Master's first crime on Earth to warn the Doctor about the Master. Not only that, but the Time Lord knows that the Master has rigged the door to the radio room with an explosive. Obviously the Time Lords have pretty specific information about where and when the Master is and what he might be up to. They just seem not to care right here. There's also the fact that the Master is stranded on Earth in this time period at the end of the story meaning it shouldn't be that hard for the Time Lords to find him.

Yeah, but the Time Lords' official policy is one of non-intervention in others' affairs. That's the whole reason the Doctor's in exile in the first place -- it's his punishment for breaking the non-interference law. So Time Lord policy is officially to avoid intervention in affairs outside Gallifrey -- although in practice, they sent the Doctor to Earth specifically so that he would be their unofficial agent there at a time when it was in particular danger. If they just point the Doctor in the right direction and let him handle the problem, then they don't have to get their hands dirty.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#9 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:02 AM

The only episodes that are lost are from the Hartnell and Troughton era, mostly Troughton.  (A particular shame, since Troughton is my favorite.)

ALL of the stories from Pertwee onward are on dvd.  (I own them all.)  Even "SHADA" from Tom Baker's era, but that was also released with animation in place.  (That story was incomplete due to a strike.)

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,716 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:05 AM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 28 August 2018 - 02:02 AM, said:

The only episodes that are lost are from the Hartnell and Troughton era, mostly Troughton.

Well, these days. When I started watching back in the '80s, there were still two incomplete Pertwee serials ("Planet of the Daleks" and "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" were missing one episode each) and several others that only survived in black-and-white prints that were syndicated overseas. But they eventually recovered the missing episodes and found ways to restore the original color information on the B&W prints (quite an impressive technical feat), as well as processing the film to recreate the original videotape look.

Facebook Author Page

#11 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

Interesting. I've heard Keith DeCandido make the same comparison. I've never quite seen it myself.

Obviously my knowledge of Jo is rather limited but she and Rose are both these young, plucky women who might not be the smartest person to travel with the Doctor but they have big hearts and help to keep the Doctor grounded. With 3 he is arrogant and doesn't always thank people. 9 was still traumatized from the Time War.

ALL of the stories from Pertwee onward are on dvd.  (I own them all.)  Even "SHADA" from Tom Baker's era, but that was also released with animation in place.  (That story was incomplete due to a strike.)

I wish I owned the DVDs. Well, not all of them but there are stories I'd like to own on DVD. Unfortunately they are out of print in the States and so some of the prices have jumped up to $100 or more for certain DVDs.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,716 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 31 August 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

I wish I owned the DVDs. Well, not all of them but there are stories I'd like to own on DVD. Unfortunately they are out of print in the States and so some of the prices have jumped up to $100 or more for certain DVDs.

Check your library, or Netflix Disk if you have it. I've been able to borrow/rent plenty of Who DVDs from those sources.

I love the DVDs -- they're really well-restored and have terrific, exhaustive bonus features.

Facebook Author Page

#13 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

View PostChristopher, on 31 August 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

View PostVirgil Vox, on 31 August 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Check your library, or Netflix Disk if you have it. I've been able to borrow/rent plenty of Who DVDs from those sources.

I love the DVDs -- they're really well-restored and have terrific, exhaustive bonus features.

I probably will, but there are some that I would like to own.

I am surprised at how much effort has gone into all of these DVDs. It doesn't seem to matter if the story is a classic or a dud; they all get nice bonus features and the best restoration available.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, 3rd Doctor

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users