• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

Posted Image

Mawdryn Undead

I quite liked this story, even if aspects of it don’t work like they should. The introduction of Turlough as a new companion with sinister motives gives the series a nice shot to the arm. I liked the return of the Brigadier (even if I am seeing him as the head of UNIT as I watch the 3rd Doctor stories) and the idea of a villain pulling the strings to kill the Doctor adds some nice tension to the proceedings.

Tegan is afraid that the Mara may still reside in her, but the Doctor and Nyssa assure her it is gone for good. Tegan wants to go to Earth to be surrounded by familiar sights to help her recover from her ordeal.

I liked that they didn’t just forget the events of Snakedance. It makes sense Tegan would still be worried and out of sorts after being possessed by the evil entity again.

Turlough is definitely a different kind of companion. He is an alien who for some reason we aren’t told has been placed on Earth and has to pretend to be a British schoolboy. He clearly desires to leave Earth, and so of course he jumps at the chance the Black Guardian gives him. Watching Turlough vacillate throughout the story as to whether he will kill the Doctor kept things tense, as did his attempts to placate the Black Guardian when he did fail to kill the Doctor.

Turlough could be really unlikeable but actor Mark Strickson is able to make Turlough’s snide remarks entertaining and quite funny. There is also the fact that he is an alien being forced to live on Earth and is hiding out in a school. I’d be making rude and sarcastic remarks myself in a situation like that.

One question that this serial doesn’t answer is why the Black Guardian chooses Turlough of all people to kill the Doctor. Yes, he has an effective carrot to dangle before the devious schoolboy but there is nothing about Turlough that screams cold blooded murderer. There had to be better choices out there. Heck, Turlough’s one actual attempt to kill the Doctor is the rather dumb idea to bash the Doctor on the head with a rock.

I did like seeing the Brigadier again but I didn’t feel like this role was written for him. I know that it had originally been another companion but what I mean is, other than the fact they brought the Brig back, this story would have worked just as well with any other previous companion. Having the Brig be retired and teaching is fine, but I never felt that he truly was the Brig, if that makes sense. I also didn’t like how he told Ibbotson that he had a disgusting body. That just doesn’t feel like something the Brig would say to a teenage boy.

The two time periods, with the Doctor, Turlough, and Brig 1 in 1983 and Tegan, Nyssa, and Brig 2 in 1977 was a good use of time travel and timey wimey fun. I wished they had kept it up a bit longer instead of getting everyone aboard the spaceship. The fact that they wrapped it up in a mystery where the Brigadier didn’t remember the Doctor or their adventures together added a nice layer to the time travel and to the story.

What I liked about Mawdryn is that he wasn’t your typical Doctor Who villain. He isn’t out to take over the planet or the universe nor does he want to kill the Doctor. Yes, he needs the Doctor to die but Mawdryn would have used any Time Lord. He doesn’t have a grudge against the Doctor.

Instead, Mawdryn and his fellow undead are thieves who stole technology to try and become Time Lords. They failed in that while they gained immortality it came with excruciating pain. They were exiled onto a spaceship and doomed to wander the cosmos forever. The only way they can die is by having a Time Lord feed them his or her regenerations.

Mawdryn and the others aren’t really bad people. Yes, they were arrogant and tried to become something they weren’t but I’d say they paid for that quite enough with centuries of agony.

Having Tegan, the Brigadier, and Nyssa believe Mawdryn was a regenerated Doctor was a good idea but they didn’t do much with it. I did like that Tegan was the first to truly believe that this walking horror show wasn’t really the Doctor.

I originally watched this story on Britbox. I then later bought the Black Guardian DVD. This story, along with Terminus, comes with new special effects. You don’t have to use them but they are there.

I decided to see what these new effects would look like and overall I thought they were rather good. Mawdryn’s ship looks better, and we get a nice shot of the TARDIS floating in space and dematerializing before the ship hits it. The psychedelic effects behind the Black Guardian have been replaced with effects that are darker and makes him look shrouded in mists. It is a big improvement. The scene where he materializes in the bust looks much better and creepier as well.

The main threat of Mawdryn is wrapped up but Turlough becomes a companion on the TARDIS, still under orders to kill the Doctor.

This was a good opening chapter in the Black Guardian trilogy and a good story in its own right.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:22 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 31 August 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

The introduction of Turlough as a new companion with sinister motives gives the series a nice shot to the arm.  

Turlough was definitely an interesting Companion, played by an interesting actor.  He's probably the most unique Companion in the history of the show, from what I've seen.

Heck, Turlough’s one actual attempt to kill the Doctor is the rather dumb idea to bash the Doctor on the head with a rock.  

Plus, he'd have to kill him about seven times in a row.  I forget if they addressed that or not.

This story, along with Terminus, comes with new special effects. You don’t have to use them but they are there.  
I hate the idea of adding new special effects to shows. That's as bad as colorizing black-and-white movies, if not worse.  At least these are optional.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:37 PM

Yes, the story was written for Ian Chesterton, the Doctor's original male companion, who was a science teacher. But William Russell wasn't available, so they got the Brig instead.

The big problem here is that it posits that the UNIT adventures took place in the same years they aired, the early 1970s. But the original UNIT stories were always set years in the future. The two Troughton-era stories with Lethbridge-Stewart were made in the late '60s but implicitly in the '70s, and "Pyramids of Mars" from '75 had Sarah Jane say she was from 1980. So for "Mawdryn" to say the Brig retired in 1977 introduced a major continuity error.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:38 PM

Turlough was definitely an interesting Companion, played by an interesting actor.  He's probably the most unique Companion in the history of the show, from what I've seen.

He is definitely unique. I don't think there has been another companion that joined the Doctor simply so he could try and kill the Doctor.

Plus, he'd have to kill him about seven times in a row.  I forget if they addressed that or not.

They don't. The Black Guardian just tells Turlough to kill the Doctor. He never mentions anything about regeneration. I do wonder if Turlough would have had to kill all of the regenerations.

I hate the idea of adding new special effects to shows. That's as bad as colorizing black-and-white movies, if not worse.  At least these are optional.

I'm fine with it, especially if they are optional like on these DVDs and are part of an effort by the people that created the episode or movie to show what they had really envisioned. That's what the director of Enlightenment, the last story in this trilogy, did. She wanted to make the episode look like how she envisioned it before small budgets and bad special effects ruined it.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:17 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 02 September 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

The Black Guardian just tells Turlough to kill the Doctor. He never mentions anything about regeneration. I do wonder if Turlough would have had to kill all of the regenerations.

The way I've always understood it is that regeneration is only possible if a Time Lord is dying slowly, if there's time for the process to kick in. If they were killed instantly, they'd just be dead, period. That's why it was possible for the Gallifreyan President to be killed by a single staser shot in "The Deadly Assassin," for instance. Regeneration can head off an impending death, but it can't reverse death after the fact. (It did appear to do so in the '96 movie, but presumably the Doctor wasn't truly dead, just close enough that 20th-century Earth medicine couldn't tell the difference.)

After all, there wouldn't be much suspense if we knew the Doctor could regenerate from any form of death, even if it were being blown up or being in a spaceship crash or something. There has to be a risk that he could be killed for good. So regeneration only happens in cases where he's mortally wounded or ill or poisoned or the like. Note that when the Tenth Doctor was shot by a Dalek in "The Stolen Earth," it was only a grazing blow, which is why he stayed alive long enough for the regeneration process to kick in and heal him. A direct hit from a Dalek gun would've killed him instantly.

Note, also, that regeneration isn't necessarily guaranteed to happen. The Third Doctor was so badly damaged by radiation that he needed another Time Lord's help to regenerate. And while the Fourth managed to regenerate into the Fifth, that regeneration almost failed, and the Fifth might not have survived without the Zero Room. So there was no guarantee for that incarnation that he'd even be able to regenerate successfully. He actually says as much as nearly his last words in "The Caves of Androzani" -- "I might regenerate. I don't know."

I'm fine with it, especially if they are optional like on these DVDs and are part of an effort by the people that created the episode or movie to show what they had really envisioned. That's what the director of Enlightenment, the last story in this trilogy, did. She wanted to make the episode look like how she envisioned it before small budgets and bad special effects ruined it.

Yep, that's usually the way it was with older special effects -- they didn't represent the creators' perfect ideal, just a rough approximation of what they really wanted to do. Given the chance to redo them with higher budgets/technology, most effects artists would welcome the opportunity.

Edited by Christopher, 02 September 2018 - 04:19 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:59 PM

Terminus

The second installment in the Black Guardian trilogy is a rather weak one. It is a shame, because I liked the story in the first half but it all falls apart after that.

The first episode is the strongest because it does a good job of focusing on the characters. The scene between Turlough and Tegan was well written and got to the heart of both characters. Tegan is a loud, brash woman who isn’t afraid to give her opinions. Turloguh is a charming, deceitful person.

I do question why they had to give Adric’s room to Turlough. There must be other rooms in the TARDIS. Still, that led to another nice scene as Tegan looks around at all of Adric’s belongings and takes one with her after getting Turlough settled in. It was a nice reminder that while Adric may be gone he isn’t forgotten.

Turlough makes his best attempt on the Doctor’s life yet(though honestly the only other attempt involved hitting him with a rock) by sabotaging the heart of the TARDIS. This causes the TARDIS to start breaking apart and a field of instability to spread throughout the craft. Nyssa almost dies when this hits her room, but she is able to escape through a door that suddenly appears.

The set-up for the story is nice, with the mysterious ship and the two raiders suddenly showing up. The ending where everyone discovers they are trapped on a plague ship is an effective cliffhanger.

Everything starts to fall apart from there. This is Nyssa’s last story as she is written out but she is offered little to do aside from get sick, get captured, and get half naked. I mean, why does she strip down to her underwear in the first place? To be fair though, if it was Turlough taking his pants off I doubt I’d be complaining.

I wish Nyssa’s last adventure had given her more to do than be a victim and damsel in distress. At least she leaves the TARDIS for humanitarian reasons. She knows she can cure all the people afflicted with Lazar’s disease as well as make unlimited supplies of the medicine the Vanir need. It is a pretty good reason to leave the TARDIS.

The outfits worn by the raiders (white tights, knee high white boots, and white capes) are so campy and honestly I liked them a lot. Aside from the helmets. Those were so bad. My problem with Kari and Olvir is that they don’t do anything the companions themselves couldn’t have done.

Tegan could have been the one with the Doctor trying to solve the mystery of the ship. Turlough could have been the one trying to find and save Nyssa. Instead those two spend a good portion of time trapped in the vents of the ship.

I get that they needed to separate Turlough so he couldn’t attempt to kill the Doctor but by doing so they basically wasted his character, and dragged Tegan down with him.

The story also falls apart when you think about it too much. It was unstable fuel jettisoned by a time traveling ship that caused the Big Bang, and if that same fuel explodes again it will end the universe. Um, what kind of fuel is that and how the hell can it create and destroy an entire universe?

Also, we are led to believe that those who go to Terminus to be cured are never heard from again, ostensibly because there is no cure. Instead we learn that most of the afflicted are cured, and that a ship arrives to take them away. Okay, if that’s true where do they go? Why are they never heard from again?

What disease do the Vanir have that requires medicine? Did the company infect them with it or did they have it already?

When we first see the Garm I thought they would keep it in the shadows. We first just see a big shape with glowing red eyes. If they had kept him in the shadows it would have been fine. Instead we see him in all his ridiculous glory.

Terminus was just a weak story that side-lined two companions in favor of two boring new characters and was a bad send-off for Nyssa. Not only that, but the Black Guardian story wasn’t advanced all that much.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:12 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 September 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

I do question why they had to give Adric’s room to Turlough. There must be other rooms in the TARDIS.

But they'd be further away from the console room and the other quarters. It seems convenient to keep people close together.

Also, for a long time, the Doctor had only one companion at a time, from Jo through Romana. It was only in the last 2-3 seasons before this that he started collecting a larger entourage. So maybe there are only a few rooms that are in fit shape for people to live in. Maybe all the rest are full of centuries' worth of accumulated clutter.

Everything starts to fall apart from there. This is Nyssa’s last story as she is written out but she is offered little to do aside from get sick, get captured, and get half naked. I mean, why does she strip down to her underwear in the first place?

One of the symptoms of Lazar's Disease is fever, so she was feeling hot. The confusion and delirium may have been part of it.

Anyway, when I first saw this one as a high school student, I greatly appreciated her state of undress. A few years later, I got to meet Sarah Sutton briefly at a local convention, and I told her that I'd had the bad timing to develop a crush on Nyssa immediately before she left. I hope she didn't make the connection with the fact that she was in her underwear immediately before she left. Once I made that connection myself afterward, I felt embarrassed that I'd told her that.

The story also falls apart when you think about it too much. It was unstable fuel jettisoned by a time traveling ship that caused the Big Bang, and if that same fuel explodes again it will end the universe. Um, what kind of fuel is that and how the hell can it create and destroy an entire universe?

There was a vague handwave that it was possible because "the circumstances were exactly right," i.e. that it was in exactly the right spot where the conditions would create a universe-spanning chain reaction if an explosion began there. "The center of the universe," as they put it, although there is no such thing since space is unbounded. It was pretty silly, though.

Facebook Author Page

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 September 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

I do question why they had to give Adric’s room to Turlough. There must be other rooms in the TARDIS.  

There's supposed to be infinite space inside the TARDIS, but the consequences of that have never been explored. There could literally be entire self-contained ecologies and civilizations in there.

I mean, why does she strip down to her underwear in the first place?  
I've forgotten a lot of details about these old episodes, but that's something I certainly remember.  It was a nice surprise from a show that was generally pretty conservative.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:22 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 10 September 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

There's supposed to be infinite space inside the TARDIS, but the consequences of that have never been explored. There could literally be entire self-contained ecologies and civilizations in there.

The Eleventh Doctor claimed it was infinite once, but he was prone to exaggeration at times. There were earlier references to it being finite in size and mass. In "Castrovalva," they jettisoned 1/4 of its interior mass to escape "Event One" (the Big Bang, basically), which equated to 17,000 tonnes of thrust. That's not far off from Romana's estimate a season earlier in "Full Circle" that its total mass would be around 50,000 tonnes. I did some looking around online, and that's only about 1/8 the mass of the Empire State Building, not really that large. Although the ESB has to be quite massive due to all the floors it has to hold up against gravity. Since the TARDIS is more horizontally arranged and is a spaceship, presumably it would have a lighter construction, so it wouldn't necessarily be as little as 1/8 the volume of the ESB. In any case, though, we're talking about something the size of a large office building, not the size of an entire universe.

The Doctor did say in "Flatline" that if it landed with its true weight, it would crack the crust of the Earth, but presumably he means if that weight were concentrated in an area the size of the base of a police box. The TARDIS plans I can find online give its police-box shell a volume of a little under 5 cubic meters, or 5 million cubic centimeters. 50,000 tonnes is 50 billion grams, so if the TARDIS landed with its police-box shape and its full weight as given by Romana, it would effectively have a density of 10,000 g/cm^3, which is a couple of orders of magnitude below the density of a white dwarf star. So yeah, that might well be enough to crack the crust.

I mean, why does she strip down to her underwear in the first place?  
I've forgotten a lot of details about these old episodes, but that's something I certainly remember.  It was a nice surprise from a show that was generally pretty conservative.

Leela also had an infamous scene in soaking wet Victorian knickers in "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" several seasons earlier. And let's not forget Zoe sprawled across the TARDIS console in a sparkly catsuit in "The Mind Robber." Doctor Who often tried to offer eye candy for "the dads" who were watching with their kids.

Facebook Author Page

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:26 AM

But they'd be further away from the console room and the other quarters. It seems convenient to keep people close together.

Also, for a long time, the Doctor had only one companion at a time, from Jo through Romana. It was only in the last 2-3 seasons before this that he started collecting a larger entourage. So maybe there are only a few rooms that are in fit shape for people to live in. Maybe all the rest are full of centuries' worth of accumulated clutter.

It is possible that there are only a few rooms for companions to live in but considering how large the TARDIS is supposed to be it just felt like they would have had one room for Turlough that didn't belong to a recently deceased companion.

One of the symptoms of Lazar's Disease is fever, so she was feeling hot. The confusion and delirium may have been part of it.

Anyway, when I first saw this one as a high school student, I greatly appreciated her state of undress. A few years later, I got to meet Sarah Sutton briefly at a local convention, and I told her that I'd had the bad timing to develop a crush on Nyssa immediately before she left. I hope she didn't make the connection with the fact that she was in her underwear immediately before she left. Once I made that connection myself afterward, I felt embarrassed that I'd told her that.

I'm glad you got to meet Sarah Sutton. She seems like a nice person from her interviews on the DVDs. I definitely felt bad for her after learning that she didn't want to leave the show but was essentially forced out.

I doubt she made the connection between you having a crush on her and the fact that she spent part of her last story in her underwear.

If only they would do that for the handsome male companions. Well, Rory was seen in his underwear once during The Power of Three. Still, there are some Classic companions I wouldn't mind seeing sans-pants.

Leela also had an infamous scene in soaking wet Victorian knickers in "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" several seasons earlier. And let's not forget Zoe sprawled across the TARDIS console in a sparkly catsuit in "The Mind Robber." Doctor Who often tried to offer eye candy for "the dads" who were watching with their kids.

I've heard some good things about The Talons of Weng-Chiang and now I'm worried they are mainly based on that scene. :)
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 16 September 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

I've heard some good things about The Talons of Weng-Chiang and now I'm worried they are mainly based on that scene. :)

It has some unfortunate racial elements in its stereotyped/yellowface portrayal of Chinese characters, but it's otherwise a classic, one of writer Robert Holmes's finest stories and an excellent swan song for Philip Hinchcliffe as producer.

Facebook Author Page

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 16 September 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

It is possible that there are only a few rooms for companions to live in but considering how large the TARDIS is supposed to be it just felt like they would have had one room for Turlough that didn't belong to a recently deceased companion.  
Also, can't they move rooms around?

If only they would do that for the handsome male companions. Well, Rory was seen in his underwear once during The Power of Three. Still, there are some Classic companions I wouldn't mind seeing sans-pants.  
Things seem to be more fair these days in that regard on TV in general, but Doctor Who remains pretty conservative when it comes to the sexy.  Luckily some Companions get other jobs where they can be a bit more free spirited.  :D

#13 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:25 AM

Enlightenment

This was a great Doctor Who story. It definitely stands out in this trilogy and in Davison’s run so far. Everything works here. The story itself is great and it also serves as a good ending to the Black Guardian trilogy.

I love the Eternals and the story does a good job of introducing them and making them feel real. The idea that these powerful, immortal beings that exist outside of time get bored and use the Ephemerals (i.e., us) to entertain themselves is brilliant and chilling. The Doctor described the Eternals best when he called them parasites.

The relationship between Tegan and Marriner was a highlight of the story. Their scenes were wonderfully acted. Marriner comes across as naïve and a little innocent but there is darkness bubbling underneath that façade. When Tegan believed the Doctor was dead and felt grief Marriner almost seemed repulsed. He may have said that Tegan was different and special but at that moment he truly seemed ready to cast her aside if she wouldn’t give him the thoughts and emotions he craved.

The space race was fun, even if the special effects weren’t that great. (The DVD does contain a Director’s Cut of the story with CGI enhancements and some edits to make the story flow better but I haven’t watched it yet).

Wrack was a delicious villain. She was great at chewing the scenery but never overdoing it. She still managed to exude menace when she needed to. I was really curious as to how the Doctor could defeat such a powerful enemy who could read his very thoughts. Unfortunately, I was left wondering as to how the Doctor ultimately defeated Wrack since that happens off screen. Obviously he and Turlough dumped Wrack and her first mate into space but it is handled rather poorly.

There was real tension in this story. When the Doctor destroyed the crystal that Wrack needed to focus on in order to destroy the Edwardian ship I thought that was the end of the threat. Instead all the broken pieces become bombs themselves. It was a well written, well directed scene.

This was the best showing for Turlough, as he is cracking under the strain of having to work with the Black Guardian. Heck, the BG decides to do away with Turloguh since he sucks as an assassin. This leads to Turlough shoving himself off into the depths of space in a scene that I absolutely loved. Turlough may have jumped ship to end his troubles but it just lands him in even hotter water when he is rescued by Wrack.

This allows Turlough to put his deviousness to good use as he begs to serve Wrack. The story does a good job of keeping you guessing where Turlough’s ultimate loyalties lie as he seems to switch between helping Wrack ad helping the Doctor.

The final scene where Turlough is given the choice by the Black and White Guardians to either give up the diamond and save the Doctor or keep the diamond and sacrifice the Doctor is another stand-out moment. It is a tense and defining scene for Turlough when he shoves the diamond at the Black Guardian and then slams his forehead into the table and screams in frustration.

It brings the Black Guardian trilogy to a successful close, though overall I felt that the whole Guardian story line was rather weak. I think it would have worked better had it just been two parts. Introduce Turlough, have him placed on the TARDIS in one story and have the second story focus on Turlough attempting to kill the Doctor and ultimately defying the Black Guardian.

We are also never given a reason as to why the Black Guardian chose Turlough to be his assassin. There is nothing about the schoolboy’s character that makes him seem like a viable candidate for murder. He has no special abilities. It makes even less sense after watching Enlightenment because we learn that Wrack is also working for the BG so why wasn’t she sent after the Doctor?

At least the trilogy did give us Turlough, a unique companion that brings a new dynamic to the TARDIS crew.

I would highly recommend Enlightenment as it is a unique story where everything just clicks. This is certainly the best episode of season 20 so far, and maybe of all of Davison’s era.

Things seem to be more fair these days in that regard on TV in general, but Doctor Who remains pretty conservative when it comes to the sexy.  Luckily some Companions get other jobs where they can be a bit more free spirited.  :D

True. Arthur Darvill was extremely sexy as Rip Hunter in Legends of Tomorrow.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,750 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hmm, I remember being underwhelmed by "Enlightenment," though I don't recall why. Maybe I was just disappointed by the lack of Nyssa.

Facebook Author Page

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 23 September 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Unfortunately, I was left wondering as to how the Doctor ultimately defeated Wrack since that happens off screen. Obviously he and Turlough dumped Wrack and her first mate into space but it is handled rather poorly.    
Maybe it's included in the Director's Cut.

#16 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

View PostChristopher, on 23 September 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

Hmm, I remember being underwhelmed by "Enlightenment," though I don't recall why. Maybe I was just disappointed by the lack of Nyssa.

I'd say give it another chance. It is, IMO, a truly fantastic story with some great character moments for Tegan and Turlough.

View PostRJDiogenes, on 23 September 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostVirgil Vox, on 23 September 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Unfortunately, I was left wondering as to how the Doctor ultimately defeated Wrack since that happens off screen. Obviously he and Turlough dumped Wrack and her first mate into space but it is handled rather poorly.
Maybe it's included in the Director's Cut.

Possible but I don't think it will be. Basically, the characters are in a special room on Wrack's ship that has a hole in the floor. Wrack and her first mate are going to shove the Doctor and Turlough through the hole and out into space. We then cut to another ship and see two figures that we are supposed to assume are the Doctor and Turlough floating in space. Of course it is actually Wrack and her first mate. I just find it hard to imagine that the Doctor and Turlough could have overpowered the villains, especially since they could read the Doctor's thoughts.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,658 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:31 PM

^^  Maybe a Time Lord's inner thoughts are not to be trifled with.  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, 5th Doctor

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users