Magnum PI Magnum CBS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

Well, that was certainly … mindless entertainment.

Admittedly, from what I recall of Magnum, P.I. it always was more of a fantasy than Hawaii Noir, with the proverbial beach-bum as the lead – but this seemed to drain away the traditional PI mystery beats, in order to stick in car chases, explosions and gun play.  And this is where I am fuzzy:  I seem to recall that Magnum, P.I. as being more the mystery, than action-adventure.  Would someone please confirm my impression of the original series?

Now, the episode did serve to establish the status quo, the antagonisms with HPD, and the head of station of ONI, the frisson between him and Higgins, the dogs, and the friendship and history he has with Rick and TC.  And the characters are likable enough, but the plot had its share of contrivances.

I’ll probably tune in for the next one or two episodes before finally deciding whether or not to watch the show, but at present, the program just strikes me as mindless drivel.

Did anyone else catch this episode?

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 02 October 2018 - 07:43 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

My husband and I agree that this Magnum remake is heavy on violence, car chases and car destruction.  The original was more mystery than action.   I remember one episode in which Magnum dinged the car and was made to pay for the repairs.  We also haven't decided if we will stick with it, but will try a few more episodes before we make up our minds.

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

I watched it, and will probably keep it on the DVR schedule for the time being as good background viewing during chores.

- It felt like Magnum PI to me - they're not reinventing the wheel on this one, and the charm of the formula holds up well enough.  I'm doubtful that they'll have the money to stage these sorts of big car/helicopter chases every episode, so I'm guessing it will settle into having more procedural/mystery as it goes along?  This episode was all about giving the audience that Magnum PI vibe.  The theme music!  The chopper!  The car!  The dogs!  Hawaii!  Hawaii!  Hawaii!

- I don't know cars well enough... was he in the "original" Ferrari in the beginning and then moved to a more modern one?

- Main cast seem likeable enough.  Not burning up the screen presence, but I like the actor who plays Thomas and he wears the white uniform well.  I remember the friendship balance of the three being more weighted toward TC than Rick, but here they seemed to be emphasizing the Rick character much more.  Somewhat off-putting, but hopefully they'll give TC more to do in the future.

- I'm not sold on "Higgins" being turned into the love interest, but it's not a showstopper.  She's pleasant enough.  But since Thomas has apparently met Robin Masters in this one, I guess they've dropped the Higgins-is-secretly-Robin (maybe) stuff?

- I could not for the life of me figure out where I'd seen James Remar before, and it drove me crazy the whole episode.  When I finally figured it out, I had to laugh at how a little bit differently trimmed hair/mustache and a uniform vs. a natty suit could make me not be able to pull him up as being the guy from Black Lightning.  :)   (I also have a new preferred actor to play Victor Sullivan in any future Uncharted movie, because OMG, he looked just like Sully in this.)

- I feel like this story was a bad choice for a pilot.  So much of it hinged on making us care about Magnum's relationship with murdered dude that it left TC and Rick seeming like also-rans.   I wonder if we'll hear about murdered dude or his family going forward, or if the trio will develop pilot-forgetfulness-syndrome by the next time their POW stint comes up in an episode.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:19 PM

^^^ The first Ferrari that was shot up was the modern one.  The second one he had looked identical to the one Magnum drove in the original series.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

Millennial garbage, in my opinion. Vacuous, pseudo, complete waste of time. Like The Hunger Games,
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:40 AM

I agree with everyone aside from gsmonks (sorry). I liked the pilot. Yes, there was more action than mystery but I believe they did that to grab the audience's attention.

Sure, the show is just mindless entertainment but it is mindless entertainment done right.

- I'm not sold on "Higgins" being turned into the love interest, but it's not a showstopper.  She's pleasant enough.  But since Thomas has apparently met Robin Masters in this one, I guess they've dropped the Higgins-is-secretly-Robin (maybe) stuff?

I haven't seen many episodes of the original but I did know that Magnum never net Robin and the theory that Higgins might actually be Robin. I was hoping they would do that here but it does't look that way. I also am not sure about Higgins being a love interest. I'd rather they remain friendly adversaries.

Like ya'll, I haven't made up my mind if I will stick with the series but I will definitely give it a few more episodes.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

Apparently they are opting for a more serialized approach.

The friend who died in the premier, is remembered and appears in a flashback detailing just how our gang ended up in Hawaii.  The red Ferrari that Magnum began the premier in is back, after being fixed up from all the bullet holes and smashed fender.  And they ham-handedly delved into defining Magnum and his motivation.

Likewise, I’m thinking they’re pushing the Magnum-Higgins partnership too hard … that really should have been a slow burn; and I’m not talking about Romance, but rather the willing partnership in adventure that they seem to be forming.  One of the things about the original series is that Higgins was often the obstacle that Magnum had to work around, and would in his off-hand way provide Magnum with a clue that would help the detective resolve the case.  These two often frustrated each other simply by their presence and demands, yet Higgins often remained aloof and apart from Magnum’s adventures because he had other concerns to occupy him.

Then, there’s the issue that Magnum discovered that Our Woman Higgins used to be MI-6 … if Higgins wasn’t burned, and she didn’t tell him, I find it difficult to imagine that he just happened to stumble across that bit of information, and that Higgins isn’t more concerned that her past had been uncovered.  Chances are that she still has enemies who are hunting for her and MI-6 would probably still be screening her, even in her retirement.  Magnum’s discovery and then broadcasting the news to his friends strikes me as being a very clear threat to her continued survival.  She should have remained a woman of mystery, a woman of many skills, who would have intrigued and confounded Magnum even if she did help him occasionally.

As for the adventure du jour, this is more like it.  Take a case, then one thing leads to another.  I just hope that not every case ends up proving to be yet another threat against the United States.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 02 October 2018 - 07:59 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, they are definitely making Higgins an active collaborator to Magnum ... and Magnum comes off really badly as a mooch who doesn't care how much his "favors" will cost his friends ... which was something that didn't exactly sit well with me in the original series, but here they're being obnoxious about it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Magnum PI, Magnum, CBS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users