I watched it, and will probably keep it on the DVR schedule for the time being as good background viewing during chores.
- It felt like Magnum PI to me - they're not reinventing the wheel on this one, and the charm of the formula holds up well enough. I'm doubtful that they'll have the money to stage these sorts of big car/helicopter chases every episode, so I'm guessing it will settle into having more procedural/mystery as it goes along? This episode was all about giving the audience that Magnum PI vibe. The theme music! The chopper! The car! The dogs! Hawaii! Hawaii! Hawaii!
- I don't know cars well enough... was he in the "original" Ferrari in the beginning and then moved to a more modern one?
- Main cast seem likeable enough. Not burning up the screen presence, but I like the actor who plays Thomas and he wears the white uniform well. I remember the friendship balance of the three being more weighted toward TC than Rick, but here they seemed to be emphasizing the Rick character much more. Somewhat off-putting, but hopefully they'll give TC more to do in the future.
- I'm not sold on "Higgins" being turned into the love interest, but it's not a showstopper. She's pleasant enough. But since Thomas has apparently met Robin Masters in this one, I guess they've dropped the Higgins-is-secretly-Robin (maybe) stuff?
- I could not for the life of me figure out where I'd seen James Remar before, and it drove me crazy the whole episode. When I finally figured it out, I had to laugh at how a little bit differently trimmed hair/mustache and a uniform vs. a natty suit could make me not be able to pull him up as being the guy from Black Lightning.
(I also have a new preferred actor to play Victor Sullivan in any future Uncharted movie, because OMG, he looked just like Sully in this.)
- I feel like this story was a bad choice for a pilot. So much of it hinged on making us care about Magnum's relationship with murdered dude that it left TC and Rick seeming like also-rans. I wonder if we'll hear about murdered dude or his family going forward, or if the trio will develop pilot-forgetfulness-syndrome by the next time their POW stint comes up in an episode.