• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

^^  And it was!  A psychic should never give away his secrets, though.  ;)

Well, I finally got my wish and Addy has returned, but it was not the heartwarming reunion that I expected. The last time we saw her, she was headed for Newmerica and promised to meet up with Lucy there.  She apparently got to Newmerica, but is taking no part in it, and pretty much abandoned any thoughts of reuniting with the gang.  Furthermore, her current occupation of running an underground railroad for Talkers brought her into conflict with Warren and George, since she is sheltering Dante-- who is apparently taking his vocation as a Zombie seriously, since he literally rose from the ground when she brought them to him.  Still, I'm happy she's back to bring some closure to the character in what is probably the final run of episodes.

Murphy is also back after being absent for an episode or two, and was reunited with Doc-- it's always fun to watch their shenanigans.  Limbo is definitely Murphy's perfect place.  And poor Doc was down to his last sock trying to save it for him.  :lol:  And what is up with that stripper who was making googly eyes at Doc?  Is she a mole from Altura or something?  I can't imagine that's going to go well for him.

Speaking of Altura, their good squad stormed Limbo, took Dante, and killed his wife.  I don't think there's any doubt that they are the Newrussia to Newmerica and want to be the only power in the area, without any competition.  They are behind the bombings and executions and other disruptions, and I don't think Dante has anything to look forward to outside of a firing squad.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#22 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:09 PM

A little late:

Season 5, Episode 7:  "Doc's Stoned History"

Skeezy and Sketchy re-enact Doc's stories of the Founding Fathers. Warren and the others search for the bizkit bakery and the secret ingredient in them.

This oughtta be good....
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#23 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:08 PM

So this episode was largely concerned with Doc teaching George about the American Revolution and the Constitution, which is something that is largely misrepresented in these Millennial Days, so I was looking forward to it with a little trepidation-- it was not as bad as I feared, or as good as I'd hoped.  But I liked it.

Doc's stoned version of history was actually really funny. It reminded me vaguely of a story in F&SF a few years ago, where iconic elements from various eras in American History got conflated into a jumbled mythology in some far future era-- the same way we do with myths from ancient civilizations.

That being said, I feel compelled to expound on things a bit, since the version of the story that Doc presented is the one that is popular today-- i.e. that the Founding Fathers were fine with slavery and did not care to take a stand on the subject.  I'll note first that I am a history buff, with special emphasis on the American Revolution and the Colonial Era leading up to the American Revolution.  I admire (most of) the Founding Fathers, and Thomas Jefferson in particular is a hero of mine. The hate for the  Founding Fathers in the current generation really gets me down.

The truth of the matter is that the Founding Fathers did indeed take a stand on slavery, and the abolition of slavery was part of the concept of the Revolution from the start.  In the Declaration of Independence (as written by Thomas Jefferson), slavery was denounced and blamed on King George-- this part was edited out in committee, so was not part of the final Declaration. You can find annotated versions online. They basically took out slavery and added God. Anyway, this was a prelude to the problems that followed.  When it came to creating the Constitution, it needed to be ratified by a majority of the States-- and the Southern States would not ratify anything that did not include slavery. Basically, without that compromise, the United States would not exist. This is dramatized very nicely in the musical 1776, if you like musicals.  

A bit of digression about Jefferson himself:  Although he is a bit of a mystery and some of his actions are inexplicable even to me (e.g., his slaves were free to go, and some did, but he never formally freed them, which caused some of them serious problems after his death), he was a strong opponent of slavery.  His first action upon being elected to office in Virginia was to propose the abolition of slavery-- he was loudly shouted down and learned that he had to play the long game. When he was elected president, he was able to outlaw the slave trade, but all that did at that point is put a few slavers out of business, since slaves are kind of a self-renewing resource.  Also, his partner for most of his life was a woman named Sally Hemings, who was ostensibly his slave, but really the love of his life, though they had to keep it in the closet-- his political enemies tried to use this to destroy him with accusations of miscegenation, which is the word bigots use for "mixing the races."  They were right, of course, but it didn't work. (I can also add that the love of my life was Black, too, which makes me relate to Jefferson even more.)

In short, the Founding Fathers were indeed brilliant men, intellectual and philosophical products of the liberal Renaissance that followed the Dark Ages, and from that came the ideas that created America-- but they still had to live with the realities of their time, just like we do, and some of their decisions seem wrong to us, because they are indeed wrong by the standards of our time.  But our time is what it is because of what these guys gave us, so I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

So, yeah, that's kind of a thing with me.  :lol: Anyway, despite the show's little lapse in historical accuracy and their mandatory blaming of White men for everything, I loved the episode.  I loved the dramatization of the Founding Fathers, I loved Doc and George bonding on their stoned road trip, I loved the Mackenzie Brothers and their mom, and... I was befuddled by Warren's statement to Murphy.  Where's that gonna go?   I mean, I know these guys are bonded, but-- uh, wow?

#24 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:48 PM

The Cookie Factory stuff was hilarious!

This is my brother Skull, Skully for short. :lol:

It smells worse than a Yeti's nut sack in here. :lol:

I'm Canadian.  No one talks like those people.  I honestly don't know why or how the USA think we talk with that accent.  It does not exist.   The Mackenzie brother accent is a little more realistic, but still exaggerated for comedic affect.  :lol:

#25 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

View PostM.E., on 18 November 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

This is my brother Skull, Skully for short. :lol:  
"That's... longer."

I'm Canadian.  No one talks like those people.  I honestly don't know why or how the USA think we talk with that accent.  It does not exist.   The Mackenzie brother accent is a little more realistic, but still exaggerated for comedic affect.  :lol:  
For the first couple of lines of dialogue, I was thinking Wisconsin-- but then it definitely put me in mind of the Mackenzie Brothers.  The only Canadians I've known in real life didn't have much of a discernible accent-- the one I knew best was from PEI and she just seemed to sound like everyone else around here (and, yes, we do have accents, but we just can't hear them :D ).

#26 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:50 PM

Oh, I definitely have an accent and it's definitely Canadian.  But not like those guys or even the Mackenzie bros. it's more like the police chief from the movie Fargo.  She sounds authentically Canadian.  Maybe she is I don't really know. :D

#27 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:27 PM

Nobody ever gets the Bostonian accent right, either, for that matter.  But it's fun to listen to them try.  They always sound like they're trying to imitate John Kennedy.  :lol:

#28 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

Season 5, Episode 8:  "Heartland"

The heroes arrive in the farming outpost that creates the flour for bizkits.

Where has all the flour gone?  :unsure:

#29 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:27 PM

"We were nowhere near the Grand Canyon."  I love it.  :laughtears:

Well, this was interesting. I'm a little worried that 10k might end up as a Talker, but I'm also remembering that he was bitten by Murphy. How will that effect him in the post-Black Rain world?  I'm thinking that he'll either die and turn into a Talker or grow his hand back.  :unsure:

I'm also wondering about Mask Lady.  I've been assuming that she's a Talker, but it's possible that she's actually a human. Hard to say, since she seems to have a stash of biscuits.

Charlie was a very sad and touching character, despite having the worst makeup prosthetic in the history of TV and movies. And "Daisy" was a nice touch.  He didn't just give his life to help the Talkers, but he gave his life and and his mind, slowly and painfully, like a degenerative disease. It's too bad that we didn't get to meet him sooner or see some flashbacks about him, so that we could have known him before he was compromised.

And Addie, meanwhile, has an activist boyfriend, who is now a Talker. I wonder if Addie will end up a Talker herself.

Next up:  More Native Americans of the Zombie Apocalypse.

#30 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:51 PM

Pretty sure mask lady is a talker.  She even ate one of the cookies when she was in the round-up pen.

I can't remember what happened at the Grande Canyon, so the joke was lost on me. :(

If that moonshine didn't kill 10K, nothing will. :lol:

Why do you think Addy might become a talker?  Is it so that she can be the same as her boyfriend?

That was a funny ending.  Doc saying, sure hope they're friendly and immediately taking an arrow to the chest.  Or was it his shoulder?

#31 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:16 PM

View PostM.E., on 25 November 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Pretty sure mask lady is a talker.  She even ate one of the cookies when she was in the round-up pen.  
I noticed that, but it could be a ruse to fit in.

I can't remember what happened at the Grande Canyon, so the joke was lost on me. :(  
That was actually the name of an episode, and it was their previous encounter with American Indians.  I can't remember exactly what happened either, but it involved sending a horde of Zs over the edge into the Grand Canyon-- and at the end, Doc and 10k said to everyone, "We were nowhere near the Grand Canyon."  :D

Why do you think Addy might become a talker?  Is it so that she can be the same as her boyfriend?  
Yeah, I guess. It was just a thought I had, since she is so involved with the Talkers.  It seems inevitable that somebody in the group will end up a Talker.  But I think both 10k and Addy are Blends, so I don't know if that will make them immune to becoming Talkers.

That was a funny ending.  Doc saying, sure hope they're friendly and immediately taking an arrow to the chest.  Or was it his shoulder?
It was a little high, I think closer to his shoulder.

#32 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:26 PM

Season 5, Episode 9:  "Water Keepers"

Doc must spirit walk again to help save the Chief of the Water Keepers and get the water flowing to Newmerica.  

That either means that he survived the arrow attack, or else he's spirit walking permanently.

#33 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:04 PM

For such a skinny guy, Doc sure has a high tolerance for drugs.  I cracked up laughing when he picked up that jug and started gulping down some more to get back into the spirit form. :lol:

10K:  "I still feel weird." :lol:

#34 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:55 PM

I was happy to see the return of the Native American tribe, because Native American stuff is usually cool, and because Kuruk is pretty hot. I was kind of hoping that she'd have reason to remain with the gang and hook up with Doc, but no. It was also cute how the other woman kept faking out 10K. And he seems to have gotten his mojo back with this new artificial hand. I guess my semi-theory about him growing the hand back is not going to happen.

And we had more spirit walking, including Doc's possession of 10K after guzzling the spirit walker juice, proving once again that the supernatural exists in the Z Nation universe. It's too bad they don't make more use of it, or bring in other genre elements. I'm still disappointed that we didn't get real aliens in that episode a couple of years ago.

But the show, as usual, demonstrates that it has a good heart.  I really liked how the tribe created a new unity dance that included everybody, not just Native Americans, and agreed to join with Newmerica.  That's the kind of stuff we need to see these days.

View PostM.E., on 01 December 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

For such a skinny guy, Doc sure has a high tolerance for drugs.  
Practice.  Lots and lots of practice.  :lol:

#35 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:26 PM

Season 5, Episode 10:  "State of Mine"

Talkers are forced by the Altura militiamen to mine a hazardous landfill for the secret ingredient to bizkits.  

#36 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

Well, the key point from this episode is that the gang now knows the key ingredient in the Talker biscuits-- and it's not human brains.  Other than that, we had an episode set entirely in a junkyard, which is a classic money-saving move by the Asylum.  :lol:

Warren and company had to deal with a couple of antagonists in this one-- the slave drivers from Altura and some unseen murderous force who turns out to be an insane Talker who OD'd on lithium (the active ingredient in the biscuits) and somehow outfitted himself with homemade Steampunk armor, complete with a buzzsaw for a hand, who kind of looked like something out of Mad Max.  At the end, this morally and mentally challenged Tony Stark was short circuited and dragged himself off to commit suicide in a trash compactor while everyone watched. Yes, that's what happened.

I can't say this was the best episode of Z Nation ever, but I did get a kick out of Doc and 10K sneaking around the facilities.  And Doc cracked me up with his line, "One man's junk is another man's treasure."  :lol:

#37 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

Season 5, Episode 11:  "Hackerville"

With some help from an outpost of renegade hackers, Warren and George hack Altura's defenses and discover Estes secret plan.  

I wonder if they'll take the Cannonball-- oh, wait, that's Hooterville.

#38 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

I actually liked this episode better than last week. The Hackers were kind of funny, especially the severely decomposed Talker.  I liked their approach to killing Zs with drones, making use of their video game skills-- although I couldn't tell what they were shooting with.   Lasers?  It definitely made it look like a video game. I also got a kick out of them getting all competitive over Kaya being hot.  Because she is.  And speaking of Kaya, I was surprised that she didn't get captured when she infiltrated the Altura base-- I was definitely seeing a hostage situation in her future.

The scene where 10K got captured was almost a relief. I really don't see him just assassinating the Altura guy from behind like that.

#39 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:57 PM

Season 5, Episode 12:  "At All Cost"

Warren and the others must free the Talkers being held in Quarantine and prepare to attack Altura.

Free the Talkers!

#40 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:23 PM

Well, that was certainly a tense episode, with George being tortured by Plastic Face (who claims to not be a Talker), Z and Kaya risking discovery behind the vending machine, and Sun Mei being confronted by Estes-- and, unfortunately, Sun Mei did not survive the encounter.  I was very disappointed in that, but with the finale next week I am bracing myself for more high-profiles deaths. With the ominous foreshadowing this week, I suspect that Doc will not make it out alive.

I don't think that George really broke under torture. When she said she spilled the beans, Warren said, "Good girl."  Earlier she said, "Are you ready to do this?"  I think they are sending Estes and Plastic Face into a trap.  I hope the Grand Finale gives us the demise of Altura and a ray of hope for Newmerica.

The bad news is that Z Nation is officially cancelled.  Not surprising, since it was kind of a miracle that we got a season five, but still disappointing.  I'm going to miss this raggedy bunch.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users