Supergirl: Man of Steel

Supergirl CW DC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:45 PM

Ben Lockwood (Sam Witwer) didn't always hate aliens. Through a series of incidents, and input from his anti-alien father (guest star Xander Berkeley), Ben slowly transforms from a mild-mannered professor into the villainous Agent Liberty of today.

Read more: Listings - SUPERGIRL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz5VHC9mlhI

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:47 PM

This was a fantastically specific analysis of so many issues, topics, and aspects of our current political climate, and public discourse.  How one ordinary man becomes radicalized to hatred, while showing how wrong that POV is as a reaction to perfectly real things.

I watched this episode on monday, and after the ongoing trauma in the news of the week preceding, and the weekend, this was ... raw. I won't say "re-traumatizing", because it was so fresh that I had not yet left that mental state of terror.  As I'm sure was true of many.  (Even now the terror is still just simmering in the background.)  But that is a bit of a tangent.

Watching this was both traumatic and rather cathartic, at the same time.  When the episode ended I burst out with a rant about aspects of recent news that I hadn't yet told my mother about, and then came back around to a new analysis relating those things to Supergirl in general.

So, this show has become an excellent conversation starter, and certainly anything but escapism.  I normally avoid shows with too much reality, because reality is upsetting enough.  But this show is covering these things in such a specifically helpful way.  It's pretty amazing.  And absolutely demands audience engagement.

(But I definitely needed something escapist afterwards!)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 02 November 2018 - 12:48 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:32 PM

This episode made me feel that Supergirl has finally recaptured the substance it had in the first season. What I love about the show at its best is that it's in the grand tradition of using science fiction as allegory for commenting on real-world issues. Seasons 2 & 3 had their share of commentary, but they weren't as focused or smart about it as season 1 was, or as season 4 is so far. And season 3 kind of lost track of the aliens-on-Earth storyline that was so important to season 2. Now, though, the show has regained its early heights. Plus, Sam Witwer is a marvelous actor.

And to think -- a large part of the reason they even did this episode was because of Melissa Benoist's Broadway commitments reducing her availability for a couple of weeks. It's great when creators can turn a limitation into a positive like that.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users