Sick of the bias

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:20 PM

Mark: I'm sick of the bias coming out of CNN. Everybody always complains about Fox News but CNN and MSNBC are just as bad.

Claiming that it's Trump's fault that these people got shot in the synagogue would be like saying it's Trump's fault the people in Las Vegas got shot or the people in Texas at the church got shot.
And as far as the migrants coming in by the thousands... it IS an invasion!

I think it was a very appropriate that the president went to Pittsburgh today to pay his respects regardless of the people that want to make this about Trump. It was not appropriate for the people to protest. The protesters  manage to mess up the grieving process more than Trump. If Obama had been going to Pittsburgh to help Comfort The Grieving families everybody would have been praising him on CNN.
It's ridiculous the Divide that's going on in the country and I think a lot of it was started by Fox News, CNN, and NBC! People believe what they hear on the media when they hear it long enough. It's just a way of brainwashing the masses.

So if everybody wants to point the finger at Trump and say it's all his fault, I believe everybody needs to look at themselves and what they can do to make things better instead of blaming it all on Donald Trump.
I know from experience that blaming it all on one person is never the right response. Blame is the usually at least a two-way street.

Edited by Mark, 30 October 2018 - 05:59 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:25 PM

Doing a drive-by Mark?

We're happy to see you here is OT. Please feel free to join in....

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:47 PM

Mark: Thanks Kate! My computer is out and I'm posting on my smartphone. That's one of the reasons I haven't been posting.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#4 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:31 PM

You do have a good point, "Tell the people a lie long enough and they will begin to believe it." That was one of Hitler's favorite quotes.

The US needs to start spending money on educating the masses in the advantages of recognizing rhetoric so that they can defend themselves against it.

IMHO Trump is just a puppet for those who would keep the art of rhetoric out of the class room.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:22 AM

View PostMark, on 30 October 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

Mark: I'm sick of the bias coming out of CNN. Everybody always complains about Fox News but CNN and MSNBC are just as bad.

Well to bias is to human.
Sometimes what was perceived as "objective" reporting was not, because what is perceived as the "default" p.o.v./narrative/person was and is not default, even if it was/is common.
I am unsure if you are referring specifically to your following part, or whether you have other examples.
Both sider-ism is also a bias, and is not always a good or fair impulse either.

Claiming that it's Trump's fault that these people got shot in the synagogue would be like saying it's Trump's fault the people in Las Vegas got shot or the people in Texas at the church got shot.

I wouldn't say it is his fault.

Environment and context matters. For example: Do we really think Americans are inherently lazier today over a generation ago, and that is what lead to the obesity epidemic, or that the environment that changed and the obesity trend is a result of acclimation?

I would say he contributed to the atmosphere that lead to a recent increase in hate crimes. Do we think there are more anti-semites or do we think people who are anti-semites feel the environment is more permissive to demonstrating their anti-semitism? Or both?
But I wouldn't say Trump is the cause, more of a symptom. However, what he says matters, as the U.S. leader.

However, the shooter has ultimate responsibility for his actions. Though the U.S. does have laws about inciting violence and riots and such, so, in probably very narrow circumstances, sometimes other people are be held legally in part responsible for other people's behavior.

What do you mean? How so? Invasion is quite a charged word is it not?

I think it was a very appropriate that the president went to Pittsburgh today to pay his respects regardless of the people that want to make this about Trump. It was not appropriate for the people to protest. The protesters  manage to mess up the grieving process more than Trump. If Obama had been going to Pittsburgh to help Comfort The Grieving families everybody would have been praising him on CNN.

Even if the grievers did not want him there? And Trump makes it about himself, arguably in not stopping campaigning at all, in going when plenty have asked him not to, and also in tweets he sent out after.

Tweet: Melania and I were treated very nicely yesterday in Pittsburgh. The Office of the President was shown great respect on a very sad & solemn day. We were treated so warmly. Small protest was not seen by us, staged far away. The Fake News stories were just the opposite-Disgraceful!

The bolded part of the tweet is practically the only part about the attack on the Tree of Life, and the rest is about him and his pettiness.

So if everybody wants to point the finger at Trump and say it's all his fault, I believe everybody needs to look at themselves and what they can do to make things better instead of blaming it all on Donald Trump.
I know from experience that blaming it all on one person is never the right response. Blame is the usually at least a two-way street.

What does that mean and look like to you?

Edited by sierraleone, 02 November 2018 - 06:28 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

View PostD.Rabbit, on 30 October 2018 - 10:31 PM, said:

You do have a good point, "Tell the people a lie long enough and they will begin to believe it." That was one of Hitler's favorite quotes.

The US needs to start spending money on educating the masses in the advantages of recognizing rhetoric so that they can defend themselves against it.

IMHO Trump is just a puppet for those who would keep the art of rhetoric out of the class room.

Actually, it was Hitler's propaganda minister (Joseph Goebbels) that said that. But- close enough.

Mark, if the asylum-seekers were from Canada, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Trump did create a climate of license that resulted in the over-the-top antisemitism that resulted in the synagogue shooting. Trump is an anti-Semite and a bigot who doesn't like brown people and Jews. Those are facts.

CNN does have problems, but them's ain't them.

CNN has a surrogate problem (the partisan trolls from both sides that talk past one another), they lie when they claim "the most trusted name in news" (and no amount of saying that will make it true), their reporting on the Republican party stinks and is gratingly adversarial, they tend to be dismissive towards independents (as a Bernie fan I find this particularly offensive), and they tend to suck up to Democrats in uncritical fashion.

For his part, Trump is a mentally-ill bigot and a troll who should be ignored. Giving him so much air-time is much of the problem.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#7 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostMark, on 30 October 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

It's ridiculous the Divide that's going on in the country and I think a lot of it was started by Fox News, CNN, and NBC! People believe what they hear on the media when they hear it long enough. It's just a way of brainwashing the masses.

Roger: Mark, you claim that CNN and MSNBC are as bad as Fox, complaining about bias on the part of CNN. These cable networks are competing with each other for ratings and ad revenue. They therefore design and shape their programming to attract and keep eyeballs on it so they can hopefully help push catheters and portable oxygen concentrators, survivalist dehydrated food supplies, a dried up old guy from the Newlywed Game endorsing his "friends" who will fix your five figure IRS debt problems, or a scam artist former addict looking to hook you up with a drug rehabilitation facility. Their "bias" manifests in trying to direct your attention to these products and services.

All these cable "news" networks want is your attention, a lion's share of your TV watching time. It's what their bottom line profit depends upon. Claiming bias on cable "news" is akin to claiming bias on the part of the show 'Blackish' for not showing enough zombies like you prefer on 'The Walking Dead', the nerds you may enjoy watching on the 'Big Bang Theory', or the rappers on 'Empire'. These programs aren't "biased" in their content...they're selective. They try to attract a certain demographic, whether it's CNN or The Walking Dead. I don't care for CNN for the most part because of their format of including one or two Trump apologists on every panel to engage in a screaming match with more progressive panelists, to both chase and outstrip the hollow affirmation of the Faux "fair and balanced" theme at their rival right-wing propaganda factory. Plus the fact that they, like MSNBC helped enable our traitorous despot-in chief by running his schtick (reverse bias?) about 20 / 7 after his escalator descent and primaries run. He was da bomb for cable "news" back then in 2015-'16. They helped create him. Now he has loyal minions to deliver the bombs to CNN. Karma?

You see a part of the problem, Mark, when you state that the masses are being brainwashed. But I think you're incorrect in assigning a false equivalence of equal blame to Fox, NBC, and CNN. The big difference is that Fox has an agenda besides gaining ratings. They have done their best to create and solidify their demographic through blatant continuous falsehood, hyped by inflaming prejudice and emotion. Pretty much a strategized workday implementation of the Republican / Trumpist playbook. Which makes sense since their target demographic to brainwash has already been lied to and numbed to untruth by Republicans. It's a symbiotic relationship, as evidenced by Trump's fawning subservience to Fox mandates. Weaker, conspiracy addled minds like his are easier to brainwash.

Edited by yadda yadda, 03 November 2018 - 07:07 PM.

#8 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

Speaking of "invasion", Mark . . .

I remember a time when hundreds of thousands of Americans sought assylum in Canada.

Yes, you read that right: hundreds of thousands.

30,000 were illegal immigrants. 240,000 entered Canada legally and stayed here.

The reason they came here was a) the draft and b) the Vietnam War.

The draft was preying specifically upon poor Americans in poor states.

So don't trying fobbing off nonsense about brown people invading the US. They have reasons for coming to the US every bit as valid as the US assylum-seekers who came to Canada.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users