Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

DOCTOR WHO - S11, E8 - "THE WITCHFINDERS"...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:52 AM

The Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz arrive in 17th century Lancashire and become embroiled in a witch trial, run by the local landowner. As fear stalks the land, the arrival of King James I only serves to intensify the witch hunt. But is there something even more dangerous at work? Can the Doctor and friends keep the people of Bilehurst Cragg safe from all the forces that are massing in the land?

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,412 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:32 PM

Ah, the Witch Trials. This should be good.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,412 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:11 PM

Well, the Doctor quoting Arthur C Clarke is one way to make me love an episode.  :lol:

This was kind of a strange episode, mainly because the portrayal of King James was so strange. I can't say that I know a lot about King James.  Did he really wander the woods and forests of rural England in a mask looking for witches to fight?   In general, this was probably the most old school episode of the season-- or even the modern era. I could easily see this as a Peter Davison story, although I don't know if he demonstrated any Houdini skills.

And I must say that Graham looked impressive in that Witchfinder hat.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:28 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 28 November 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

This was kind of a strange episode, mainly because the portrayal of King James was so strange. I can't say that I know a lot about King James.  Did he really wander the woods and forests of rural England in a mask looking for witches to fight?

No. From what I've been told about him in another review thread, he was a physical coward, and his expertise in witchcraft was expressed through writing books about it, not actually hunting witches down. Also, the witch trials had subsided by the time this episode is set (i.e. after the King James Bible was published).

Even without knowing that, I kept expecting James to turn out to be an impostor. It was just weird having a monarch show up in some village.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users