Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

DOCTOR WHO - S11, E9 - "IT TAKES YOU AWAY"...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:20 AM

On the edge of a Norwegian fjord, in the present day, The Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz discover a boarded-up cottage and a girl named Hanne in need of their help. What has happened here? What monster lurks in the woods around the cottage - and beyond?

Edited by FarscapeOne, 02 December 2018 - 11:20 AM.

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,795 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

That sounds picturesque.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,795 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:21 PM

I've only seen the first few minutes, but I definitely want to know more about the Woolly Rebellion.  Was it started by some woolly bullies?  Or just some black sheep?  It must have been wild and woolly. I hope the truth comes out in the season finale.  I don't want the wool pulled over my eyes.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,795 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:25 PM

Well, that was kind of a sweet story combined with an understated, but epic, sci-fi idea. Kind of a bit subversive, too: An intelligence came into existence with the birth of the universe, but prevented creation from coalescing, so therefore had to be expelled-- so god is not dead, just exiled. And very lonely. It's a bit sad to think of an isolated god trying to lure people into its Garden of Eden.

On the human side, things were pretty melancholy at every turn. In the end, the father was saved and realized he was "not well," as the girl said, but along the way he was dragged through emotional addiction, while Graham was tormented by a simulacrum of his dead wife, and an entire sentient universe was once again condemned to an eternity of solitary confinement. That kind of bugs me. I hope they revisit this concept and find a better resolution for that character.

The anti-Zone was a bit weird, but it seemed like a classic funky concept, like something you'd see in a show from the 60s or 70s, like Lost In Space or something-- another bit of retro cool to add to the list for this season. I think I missed where they came from, but the Hungry Monster and the Meat-Eating Moths were pretty hide-behind-the-couch creepy, if a bit incongruous.

As usual, the characters were mostly strong. The Doctor sacrificed herself to save everyone else (luckily it didn't take, and I wonder what the Companions would have done if she hadn't come back), Ryan got clobbered by a blind girl, but went to her rescue anyway, and finally called Graham "Granddad" (can a fist bump be far behind?), and Graham talked about traveling through time and space but still being lost without Grace.  Only Yaz, as usual, seemed the odd man out-- although I got a kick out of her suggesting that the Doctor "reverse the polarity" and having it work.  :lol:  But hopefully she'll have a bit more to do in the season finale.

And, of course, the sentient universe manifesting as a frog was priceless.  :lol:   Posted Image

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:53 AM

Surprised no one suggested Ribbons and the anti-zone as the origins of Norwegian troll myths.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

I've read many complaints about the sentient universe taking the form of a frog, but it was bonkers in just the right DW way -- BUT it also didn't really land, because the episode managed to feel both rushed and dragged-out, and the frog lasted maybe five minutes. Also, despite complaints I've read, I don't care about whether the frog FX were well-handled. I learned from Classic DW and its silly visuals to care more about storytelling, and, to me, this series just still hasn't got it. In fact, I came away from this one feeling "I don't care what happens to these people" even more strongly.

It's horrible that Hanne (the blind girl) is stuck with her father, who gaslighted her by terrorizing her into staying inside with the fake threat of monsters. That's psychological torture, and it's deeply creepy that this passive, nonconfrontational, noninterventionist, and utterly ineffectual version of the Doctor did nothing at all to challenge it.

Yikes. I should've carried through with my vow to ignore S11, because I knew Chibnall would be an awful showrunner. Instead, my loyalty to DW kept me going. Well, at least I managed to quit collecting DW Magazine again. I deeply regret that S12 will be Chibnall and Whittaker, because I don't see any way it won't be the pile of garbage that S11 has been.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,795 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostNorville, on 08 December 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

I've read many complaints about the sentient universe taking the form of a frog  
I loved the frog.  :lol:

It's horrible that Hanne (the blind girl) is stuck with her father, who gaslighted her by terrorizing her into staying inside with the fake threat of monsters. That's psychological torture, and it's deeply creepy that this passive, nonconfrontational, noninterventionist, and utterly ineffectual version of the Doctor did nothing at all to challenge it.  
The Doctor intervened and resolved the situation, just as he or she always does. She brought back the father, ended the manipulations of the sentient universe, re-oriented him to reality, and reunited him with the daughter who knew he wasn't well, after which he decided to abandon the remote cabin and return to a place where they could be happy again. What did you want her to do?  Put the guy away on a prison planet?  File a 51-A? Send the kid to live in an orphanage?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users