• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:40 PM

Just got back from an advance screening.

It's finally happened! A Transformers movie that is actually good!

Really good; not just "okay" or "not offensive," which was the high-water mark for the first two. I can stop being embarrassed about being a Transformers fan.

It was fun, and emotional, and reasonably intelligent (someone actually calls out that the name "Decepticons" should send up red flags about trustworthiness :lol: ), and exuberant in a way that I can only describe as "childhood in the 80s." It had subtlety and wit, and internal logic, and it actually felt more like a Spielberg movie than the others (This was the "ET as a Transformer" movie that we were promised back when the first movie was announced).

Travis Knight and Christina Hodson clearly understand Transformers. The screening I saw had a mini featurette (no post-credit scene) where Knight and John Cena both recalled their own childhoods growing up with Transformers (Michael Bay would've been in his 20s when Transformers came out in the 1980s, and even if he wasn't, he strikes me more as the kind of kid who spent his youth giving swirlies to the kind of kids who liked cartoons).

It also stars two kick-ass female characters, one of whom is the brains of her Decepticon unit (and is exactly the kind of terrifying, effective, and non-sexy* villainess that Hollywood needs more of).

(* Well, her car mode is hella sexy, but no one's ever complained about that. :love: )
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

This is good news. I didn't even watch the fifth Transformers movie and I hated the fourth one. I have wanted someone other than Michael Bay to take over the franchise for a while now. Hopefully Bumblebee will have a good box office and get lots of positive reviews so we can get good Transformers movies from here on out.

(someone actually calls out that the name "Decepticons" should send up red flags about trustworthiness :lol: )

I saw that in a TV spot and thought it was about time someone brought that up.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,567 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:11 PM

One thing I noted was that there was only ONE writer for this film ... I can't help but think that contributed heavily to the film's coherence.

Oh, and we can actually follow the battle sequences and aren't blinded by lens flares ...

This is definitely a film worth checking out.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

P.S. This film completely ignores the previous movies, and their continuity.  Another plus is in the designs, I noted several recognizable designs from the old cartoon which was a pleasant surprise.

Go see this movie.

Edited by G-man, 28 December 2018 - 07:14 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:39 PM

View PostG-man, on 28 December 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

One thing I noted was that there was only ONE writer for this film ... I can't help but think that contributed heavily to the film's coherence.

Well, onscreen writing credits in movies are rarely accurate. There are usually a lot of uncredited writers who contribute somewhat to the process, and the standards for assigning credit can be arcane and have little to do with the reality. My go-to example is Speed, which was credited solely to Graham Yost even though virtually every line of dialogue spoken in the film was written by Joss Whedon. And then there's the original Star Wars, credited solely to George Lucas although the script received a final-draft polish from Willard Huyck & Gloria Katz.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,567 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, I'm aware of that.  But I've seen movies with multiple story writers AND multiple script writers being credited, so seeing one with just one I felt was notable.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:38 AM

View PostG-man, on 29 December 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that.  But I've seen movies with multiple story writers AND multiple script writers being credited, so seeing one with just one I felt was notable.

Both of the films I mentioned in my previous post had only one credited screenwriter, which was why I chose them. The whole point is that you can't trust onscreen writing credits in feature films to be accurate; there are almost always multiple uncredited writers, and sometimes even the sole credited writer is not the person primarily responsible for the final content of the film. In the case of Speed, for example, Yost got the credit because the plot structure was his; it was still basically his story being told, even if it was mostly Joss Whedon's version of that story. But I would argue that it was Whedon's dialogue and character writing that made the story work. And I would argue that it was the uncredited work by Huyck & Katz that made Star Wars work -- because the later movies that Lucas did write mostly solo were much more poorly written. So if a film works, you can't trust that the writer whose name is listed onscreen is the one responsible. It might well be that an uncredited script doctor saved the film.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Transformers, movie, Travis Knight, 1980s

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users