Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

DOCTOR WHO - S11, Special - "RESOLUTION"...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

As the New Year begins, a terrifying evil is stirring from across the centuries of Earth's history. Will the Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz be able to overcome this threat to Planet Earth?

#2 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

This is the New Year's Special.  And what appears to be the only episode for 2019.  Hopefully, that is not the case.

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

That figures.  Shorter seasons and longer waits between them is typical of the 21st century.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:27 AM

Filming for the next season begins later this month, for a 2020 premiere, according to Wikipedia.

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:40 PM

I thought this was great. It reminded me of the episode "Dalek." This special made the Daleks frightening again. Here we have a lone Dalek, out of its shell for most of the run time, and it still manages to evade the Doctor, kill several people, and re-build its shell. It also doesn't mess around. It tried to blast the Doctor once it knew who the Doctor was. It didn't stand around and let the Doctor talk.

The Dalek's look was pretty good. I liked that they replaced the plunger with that grasping claw. It looks better and serves the same function more or less.

No more UNIT, at least for the moment. I'm guessing that is a jab at BREXIT, since UNIT's funding was pulled by international partners?

The scenes with Ryan's dad were pretty good. He isn't the monumental jerk I thought he would be. Instead he is just a flawed guy who doesn't know how to deal with loss and thought it was better to keep away. Still, I loved how the Doctor was blunt about how Aaron has failed at his job of being a dad.

Ryan called Graham Gramps again. Love it. I do think he partially did it to shove it in his dad's face, especially when Graham responded by calling Ryan son.

I loved Graham's reaction when the TARDIS crushed his chair and the Doctor's reply that he shouldn't just leave chairs sitting all about.

Yaz was underused but still got a few good moments.

The scene where the Dalek cuts off the internet and that family stares at each other not sure what to do without instant entertainment at the tips of their fingers was hilarious.

Lin and Mitch were great supporting characters. They were fleshed out just enough to make us care about them and well acted as well. Lin in particular did a good job once she was possessed by the Dalek.

The Doctor was rather cold blooded there at the end, wasn't she? Taking the Dalek to a sun going nova and launching it out into space is pretty extreme, especially since the Dalek was still attached to Aaron at the time.

This was a good way to send Doctor Who off into yet another long hibernation. I do wish the BBC could keep a better schedule with the show because waiting a year or more in between seasons has gotten old.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,883 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

I suddenly realized this episode could kind of be called "Resolution of the Daleks." ;)

The dwarf planet Piazzi discovered on New Year’s Day 1801 was Ceres (which was actually considered a planet at first, and kept that designation for nearly as long as Pluto did before it got reclassified as an asteroid and eventually a dwarf planet).

I loved the parallel with the construction montages, the Doctor’s screwdriver and the Dalek’s casing. And I loved the Doctor forgetting how long a rel is (it’s 1.2 seconds, according to “Evolution of the Daleks”).

I don’t really buy the “Brexit killed UNIT” thing. UNIT was never just a British organization; it was an international one. Even if Britain pulled out, the rest of UNIT should still be around. (Then again, “Brexit” does sound like the name of a race of alien monsters that UNIT might have fought. “Terror of the Brexit.” “The Claws of Brexit.” “Planet of the Brexit.”)

The Doctor’s climactic plan to defeat the Dalek seemed contrived to me. It didn’t make a lot of sense, and it was obvious that it was going to put Aaron in danger of being sucked out into space so that he and Ryan could get emotional closure. I wish they’d come up with something that worked better aside from that.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 02 January 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

I do wish the BBC could keep a better schedule with the show because waiting a year or more in between seasons has gotten old.

It's not unusual for British shows to be released intermittently rather than on a strict annual schedule. For instance, the three seasons of Chibnall & Whittaker's previous series Broadchurch came out at roughly 2-year intervals.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

Well, that was exciting, with all kinds of explosions and even a supernova.  And we got a Dalek, even though they said there would be no classic antagonists this season.  But this was a very different sort of Dalek.  And it was kind of ironic that this legendarily superior breed of Dalek spent the entire episode either naked or encased in a DIY Dieselpunk shell.

This was certainly the most straightforward action-adventure episode of the season, which I suppose is fitting for a season finale, but some parts of it don't really hold together.  We can hardly take the alleged Super Dalek as a serious threat to the Doctor when it was defeated and carved up by some sword-carrying warriors a thousand years ago.  Also the contemporary re-defeat of the Dalek being accomplished by components of Ryan's dad's revolutionary start-up oven product was too out of the blue.  It needed more foreshadowing, preferably in a prior episode.  But at least we know this Dalek is well and truly plasmified. Or at least a third of it is.  Whatever happened to those other two pieces?  They started to show some life, but did they ever merge-- if so, I missed it, and I don't see how they could have traveled around the world.

The return of Ryan's dad was at least foreshadowed, but everything happened a bit quickly. And it was too bad, too, because he was presented as an interesting character with some depth.  He adapted quickly and pitched in handily, being essential to the defeat of the Dalek (in more ways than one)-- but his relationship with Ryan was resolved too quickly. I expected him to join the gang on the TARDIS-- or, conversely, for Ryan to decide to remain on Earth.  It felt anticlimactic.

Other than that, the two guest characters were very likeable-- I have a soft spot for archaeologists-- and I was very relieved when neither one perished.  Yaz hung around being underutilized as she has been for most of the season.  UNIT was revealed to have been disbanded, or at least shut down, presumably the victim of Brexit negotiations. The only really bad moment in the episode, though, was the attempt at humor when Random Family was faced with the loss of their Internet and Netflix-- that would would have been lame as a New Yorker cartoon, let alone a scene in Doctor Who.

So, all in all, an enjoyable romp, but I'd say it's at the bottom of the list for a pretty good season. But everybody is back on the TARDIS and ready for new adventures in the next season, whenever it happens to turn up.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,883 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 03 January 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

And we got a Dalek, even though they said there would be no classic antagonists this season.

Technically, it's a between-seasons special.

And it was kind of ironic that this legendarily superior breed of Dalek spent the entire episode either naked or encased in a DIY Dieselpunk shell.

That was cool. We're used to thinking of Dalek mutants as squishy blobs that are helpless without their mini-tanks. It's effective to be shown that they're just as deadly all by themselves. (Although we've seen unshelled Daleks prove deadly before, e.g. in "Resurrection of..." and "Evolution of...".)

We can hardly take the alleged Super Dalek as a serious threat to the Doctor when it was defeated and carved up by some sword-carrying warriors a thousand years ago.

But it took three whole armies in an unprecedented alliance to achieve that, and implicitly that was after a lot of earlier death and destruction, since something had to convince those three armies to form the unprecedented alliance in the first place.

But at least we know this Dalek is well and truly plasmified. Or at least a third of it is.  Whatever happened to those other two pieces?  They started to show some life, but did they ever merge-- if so, I missed it, and I don't see how they could have traveled around the world.

That was explained in dialogue. When the first piece was revived with the UV light, the other two pieces underwent a "spatial shift" (teleport) and rejoined with it, bringing the whole, intact creature back to life. The signal from the teleport was what registered in the TARDIS and drew the Doctor there in the first place.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#9 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:22 PM

I loved the parallel with the construction montages,

The DIY, Rosie the Riveter vibe is my favorite thing about the Chibnall DW.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users