POTUS - Year 3 [2019]

POTUS 2019

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:19 PM

Thought I should start a new thread for the new year though not much has changed. The government shutdown is still going on, with Trump saying he will let it continue for years of need be and that he will declare a state of emergency if he has to to build the wall.

At this point I think it depends on who the public puts the blame for the shut-down on to determine who blinks first. Trump isn't going to back down, and his hard core supporters will still support him no matter what. Democrats probably don't want their first big action in the House to be caving in to Trump.

Still, I hate we get a resolution to this crisis sooner rather than later.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

So apparently, Trump will be making an address on prime time TV tonight.  Something about making the case for his wall, and the shutdown.  As far as I know, all the major networks will be airing this.  I believe a responding statement from the Democrats will air afterwords.

Some links:

Trump to address the nation tonight

Networks set to air Trump's prime time address; Pelosi, Schumer demand equal time

How to watch President Trump's prime-time address tonight

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

He's in his castle watching the torches and pitchforks coming.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#4 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

It occurs to me that Ind One fancies himself and brags about being a rich billionaire. Why can't he front the $5.7 billion that Mexico is going to pay from his own funds and then have the US Treasury repay him, plus interest, from the USMCA trade deal windfall he says is a sure bet. If he is so certain of this future US disposable income he can put his own money on the borderline with confidence.

And having that Mexico money stored for him in the Treasury's strong box would provide him with a steady pad for expenses for Diet Cokes and other incidentals from the prison store, as long as it accepts pesos.

#5 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 12 January 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

It occurs to me that Ind One fancies himself and brags about being a rich billionaire. Why can't he front the $5.7 billion that Mexico is going to pay from his own funds and then have the US Treasury repay him, plus interest, from the USMCA trade deal windfall he says is a sure bet. If he is so certain of this future US disposable income he can put his own money on the borderline with confidence.

And having that Mexico money stored for him in the Treasury's strong box would provide him with a steady pad for expenses for Diet Cokes and other incidentals from the prison store, as long as it accepts pesos.

He is broke now. After all, he paid for all those "hamberders":

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  13h13 hours ago
Great being with the National Champion Clemson Tigers last night at the White House. Because of the Shutdown I served them massive amounts of Fast Food (I paid), over 1000 hamburgers etc. Within one hour, it was all gone. Great guys and big eaters!

It started out as 300 hamburgers, when he was being interviewed, but I guess that number didn't seem quite large enough.
Can you imagine? Getting invited to the White House and being served fast food? He could afford to buy fast food, but not pay for a caterer? Fast food, on silver plates, trays, etc... with candles providing the ambiance.

Then I came across this tweet:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  16h16 hours ago
Why is Nancy Pelosi getting paid when people who are working are not?

Starting with 45, I want to know why any of them are getting paid. But mostly him, he is the one (along with McConnell) who has decided that the one time wall, now it could be a fence, yeah, a fence will do, you know, a "see-through wall of steel", is more important than keeping the government running.
I wonder how long before his followers realize that what he is doing is not such a good thing? Though, I don't think we will get that far. After all, he can't stand not being admired. Imagine if his followers turn on him.
Then again, his current puppet master (president McConnell), could throw a wrench into things.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

Starting with 45, I want to know why any of them are getting paid. But mostly him, he is the one (along with McConnell) who has decided that the one time wall, now it could be a fence, yeah, a fence will do, you know, a "see-through wall of steel", is more important than keeping the government running.
I wonder how long before his followers realize that what he is doing is not such a good thing? Though, I don't think we will get that far. After all, he can't stand not being admired. Imagine if his followers turn on him.
Then again, his current puppet master (president McConnell), could throw a wrench into things.

Unfortunately it seems that the hard core Republican base has started supporting the wall even more now since Trump has made it such an issue. Sure, plenty of polls show that the rest of America don't care about the wall, that they blame Trump and the Republicans for closing down the government, and that they want the government re-opened sooner rather than later but Trump doesn't care about any of that. All he sees is that his base is fired up and are telling him how great he is so he isn't going to end the shut down anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong about that, though.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

I think it is all a deflection for something worse.

I don't think he cares about the wall. I think he needs to fight like he cares for his base, but [yes, I've turned into a conspiracy theorist] I read an article that said that even when the government opens up again, not all the furloughed people will be given back their jobs. I'm not sure if they can do this, but I think that gutting the government of civil servants is the main objective here.

Gut agencies, employees and the government begins to shut down on itself from pure overload. That has to feed right into the plans of Putin. Strike a blow from the inside to weaken a functioning government, encroach into Europe [like Ukraine] and begin to demolish the NATO Alliance.

These all seem to just be crazy antics from a mentally unbalanced President, but if you look deeper, it is dangerous. Trump has already been stacking the courts, and the courts will be the only way to stop much of what will eventually destroy us. I truly believe he will lash out and hurt the American people in order to keep us distracted from what he is doing to the actual government in  furtherance of whatever Russia's plans are. He is not a mental giant, but Putin actually is.

Our courts are weakened.
Our alliances abroad are weakened
Government is shut down [and many might not return]
Congress appears to be impotent
Tariffs are gutting our own agricultural exports, and China is now buying soybeans from [wait for it] Russia.

Does this sound like just some random occurrences from a crazy incompetent President, or an I the only one that sees a real pattern here?

Russia is a poor country. It's people are poor. Putin needs resources form other countries, and doesn't want to play nice to get them. Russia has always been in need of European resources. It's a cold, desolate wasteland for the most part. Ukraine has always been needed for food production, plus it has a warm water port. Since Peter the Great, they have wanted a warm water port, so they can trade efficiently.

Meanwhile, #45 continues to dismantle our government, Russia and China fill the vacuum we are creating, and we're all distracted by some idiocy about a freaking wall. It's madness not to see what is happening.

And apparently, there isn't a damn thing we can do about any of it. Someone is pissing our country away, and we're left standing here watching it implode. It's been a slow moving coup all along.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

I feel the same way. I saw his tenure ending with at least an attempted coup back when I predicted he would win the election.

I long ago lost interest in Newsie outlets like CNN that keep pulling old news out of their arse as though it entailed brand-new revelations. All the stuff about Cohen and Manafort was in the news a year ago and more.All of it.

CNN's daily-repeated lie that CNN is "the most-trusted name in news" is especially grating, along with their use of the term "breaking news". They repeat the same spew for days on end, claiming all the while that it's "breaking news".

It's breaking something. Wind, perhaps.

#9 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

Well, the Senate isn't completely stagnant. They found enough energy to have 42 Republicans vote to make sure that Russian oligarchs like Deripaska don't suffer or miss any pay or profit while American federal employees are left by the wayside.

#10 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

As to today's "deal" announced by Traitor Boy to end the govt. shutdown, what do you want to bet McConnell and the other Repub senators told him that that making air travel dysfunctional and dangerously unsafe was the last straw and they'd give him this three week "negotiation" window for face saving, but if he tries to bring about a next further shutdown they'll override it?

Edited by yadda yadda, 25 January 2019 - 03:26 PM.

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:02 PM

Hi Exislers. Not that I've done any this calendar year so far, but I am *definitely* going to have to take an indefinite absence from my ~daily update posts of WTFJHT.

This weekend I learned that my mother has been on the receiving end of a toxic controlling relationship, and there are multiple legal layers of complexity to the situation; this will not be ended in some simple kicking him out and throwing his stuff on the lawn scenario.  A quasi version of that was tried this weekend. Sooooo I have that on my plate, and my brain bandwidth is shot right now. On top of trying to keep up on the second language classes I started 3 weeks ago.

I will probably still stop by now and then, but I expect my posts will go down significantly. I spent the entire weekend at her house and had my computer and I didn't go on here at all till now. (Though those who follow me on twitter may have seen me on there in a sparse spare moment or two I had that I looked at my cell).

I wish all the best for the U.S. getting rid of their bully-in-chief. I've got my own personal one, a bully-in-law, to work on getting rid of. See you all around on occasion.

Edited by sierraleone, 03 February 2019 - 07:03 PM.

- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#12 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:07 PM

^Real life always comes first and it sounds like you have way more on your plate than you should. I hope the situation is worked out in a way that benefits you and your mother.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

^ Thanks Virgil.

I do consider politics "real life" since it has plenty of real life impacts. Or are you talking about the internet / social media? :)

Anyways, I thought I'd share something I found an insightful way to view things, which could be handy in politics and future elections.

I came across it because of a person I follow on twitter.

http://www.armoxon.c...lTdwAxBq7lbaTe4

The Compass and the Navigation

There’s a magic trick that’s going to get played on us every day during the 2020 election cycle. It’s a fairly simple trick, once you see it.

I’d like to talk about what leadership is and what governance is.

I’d like to talk about the compass, the navigation, the travel, and the corrections.
... ...

Edited by sierraleone, 17 February 2019 - 06:59 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:51 PM

^ Thanks Virgil.

I do consider politics "real life" since it has plenty of real life impacts. Or are you talking about the internet / social media? :)

I meant posting about politics constantly on the internet/social media. Obviously politics impacts real life no matter what.

https://www.cbsnews....fornia-lawsuit/

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said Sunday that a lawsuit against the Trump administration for the president's recent national emergency declaration would be coming  "imminently", marking one of the many legal challenges the White House can expect in its efforts to fund the president's long-promised border wall. Becerra   told ABC's "This Week with George Stephanoplous" that the state is "ready to go" with legal action and is expecting to be joined by numerous other state partners.

According to the attorney general's office, New Mexico, Oregon, Minnesota, New Jersey, Hawaii and Connecticut are among several states that are joining the lawsuit.

Mr. Trump on Friday announced the emergency declaration to free up funding to build the border wall along the southern border. The executive order said "the current situation at the southern border presents a border security and humanitarian crisis that threatens core national security interests and constitutes a national emergency."  

Becerra told ABC's Martha Raddatz that he's confident the state has concrete legal standing to challenge the president's order.

"We're confident there are at least 8 billion ways that we can prove harm.  And once we are all clear, all the different states are clear, what pots of money that taxpayers sent to D.C. he's going to raid, which Congress dedicated to different types of services – whether it's emergency response services or whether it's fires or mudslides in California or maybe tornadoes and floods in other parts of the country or whether it's our military men and women and their families who live on military installations that might – that might have money taken away from them, or whether it's money taken away from drug interdiction efforts in places like California, a number of states, and certainly Americans, will be harmed.  And we're all going to be prepared," said Becerra .

The attorney general said Mr. Trump "knows he's going to lose in court" and suggested that a conservative-leaning Supreme Court could be his only way to secure a victory.  "He knows he's going to lose all the way up the ladder of the federal court system," said Becerra .

I'm sure it surprised no one that Trump has declared a national emergency so that he can fund the border wall. He is literally acting like a tyrant so he can go around the democratic process and get what he wants. Also not shocking is how many Republicans are backing him. You know that if Obama had done this they would have called him a traitor and a dictator and would have called for his impeachment.

I think the article is right that this will go all the way to the Supreme Court and that the Conservative majority might give Trump a victory here. I hope that isn't the case because no President should be able to subvert democracy like this. Trump could have tried to get the money for the border wall when Republicans controlled Congress but he didn't. He has been President for 2 years and hasn't made this a priority. He even stated that he didn't need to get the wall now but he didn't want to wait. Everything he has done has shown this isn't an emergency.

Much like all the other dubious things Republicans have done in the past few years if this goes through it will come back to bite them on the ass. A Democratic president could declare a national emergency about gun violence and use that to enact gun laws. Allowing this to happen sets a dangerous precedent.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#15 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

When Micheal Cohen was giving his testimony before the Congress Oversight Committee the attacks on him by the Republicans was so so precious.... The Republicans didn't even try to defend Trump....

- Masha Gessen

#16 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:34 PM

The Michael Cohen testimony has been fun to watch/follow. I loved it when he called out Republicans since they weren't asking him any questions about Trump at all.

I know his testimony won't change the minds of hard core Trump followers but hopefully it will sway some moderate Americans.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#17 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:50 PM

Gawd, all the sh*tty shi*t happening is mind-boggling.

Trump's administration deciding to not defend the ACA in the courts.

Trump's administration taking some funds from the military to fund the Wall (against the House's appropriation bills and intentions).

Trump's administration zero-ing out funding for the Special Olympics.

Trump's administration trying to reduce funding to Puerto Rico, which was to continue helping them with the recovery from a Hurricane (this funding would even make them not underfunded in this, just less underfunded).

The House votes unanimously that the Mueller report should be released in full. But Republican Senate Leader Mitch McConnell won't even let it come up to a vote in the Senate.

NRA to oppose the renewal of the Violence Against Women's Act.

- Masha Gessen

#18 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

Politics is one area of the human experience where if there is something incredibly stupid to be done, people will do it. When you look at who people vote for, you have to wonder.

#19 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

Gawd, all the sh*tty shi*t happening is mind-boggling.

Trump's administration deciding to not defend the ACA in the courts.

Trump's administration taking some funds from the military to fund the Wall (against the House's appropriation bills and intentions).

Trump's administration zero-ing out funding for the Special Olympics.

Trump's administration trying to reduce funding to Puerto Rico, which was to continue helping them with the recovery from a Hurricane (this funding would even make them not underfunded in this, just less underfunded).

The House votes unanimously that the Mueller report should be released in full. But Republican Senate Leader Mitch McConnell won't even let it come up to a vote in the Senate.

NRA to oppose the renewal of the Violence Against Women's Act.

The sad thing is this is all just the tip of the ice berg.

I wasn't surprised when DeVos tried to cut funding for the Special Olympics. Targeting and screwing over disenfranchised groups within this country is what this administration excels at. They just screwed with the wrong group this time. It also shows the dysfunction that still exists within this administration that every one is blaming someone else for the cuts.

Then there is Trump screwing with health care, again. Look, the ACA isn't perfect but it is better than the nothing Republicans are giving us. They haven't been able to agree on a plan to replace the ACA and they can't even agree to repeal it. Trump has no health care plan. He wants to get rid of the ACA because it was something Obama did and Trump is determined to destroy everything Obama created.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#20 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

And now the women's professional hockey league has packed it in. What's next, I wonder.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: POTUS, 2019

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users