Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

THE ORVILLE - S2, E5: "ALL THE WORLD IS BIRTHDAY CAKE"...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

The Orville makes First Contact and a new crewmember joins the ship.

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

Ah, I've been looking forward to this first contact episode.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

Well, that was an enjoyable episode, although definitely bottom tier for Orville.  There were a few holes in the plot and the concept. The use of astrology as a metaphor for religion was terrific, but not very well thought through-- granted, you can only do so much world building in an hour, but it really needed some fine tuning. Then there was the escape attempt at Stalag 13 that left about a million aliens dead at the hands of two Union officers-- I'm gonna grade this first contact as a failure based on that alone.  But the biggest hole was in the solar sail, so to speak.  I loved the concept, but I just can't buy that a culture at that level of technology could really be fooled so easily.  Maybe if they had set up a self-sustaining fusion reaction at the edge of the solar system that mimicked a stellar spectrum or something, it would have been more believable. And then there's the inevitable consequences of the aliens learning that they'd been had. I would have restructured the story around a different idea, like bringing the alien administrators out and proving that the star was still there, just invisible-- maybe playing up the coolness of a Black Hole so that everybody wanted one in their constellation (which could probably be arranged, since the stars in a constellation only line up in perspective and aren't really near each other).

I was not terribly impressed with the new security chief. The Badass Stereotype doesn't excite me and they really laid it on thick with her punching captains and picking people up by the neck and so forth.  She seems especially out of place on the Orville, where even the biggest Badass from Planet Badass is a big Teddy Bear who hatched an egg.

My favorite part of the episode was the beginning, when Orville received the signal from the alien planet and everybody freaked out with excitement over the prospect of a first contact. That's my kind of Science Fiction and we haven't seen anything like it since the early days of Enterprise.  It's too bad that the ensuing story turned into such a downer.  A beginning like that deserves a better ending.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:27 AM

I enjoyed the episode a lot.  And it was grest seeing the excitement of the crew... it reminded me exactly why this series is a close brother to STAR TREK.

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

I was bothered by how they treated birthdays as a universal constant. I seriously doubt that the way we calculate Earth months/days and the astrological signs for the constellations as seen from our planet would result in Kelly, Bortus, and the bad-month-born being confident in thinking that May 3, say, was the same day on the other two planets.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:12 PM

I think they used the tissue sample to calculate everybody's exact age, which they then applied to their own calendar-- which doesn't make any sense, but not much about the alien society made sense.

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:21 PM

Well I imagine that if the tissue age was calculated to the second (Earth reckoning) it could then be translated to the xeno's equivalent for a second.  Then both figures could be calculated for the number of respective days, which then can be calculated into respective years.  Thus the conversions could be relatively easy to figure.

For the Orvilleans, they use the Earth standard reckoning, while the others would use their own reckoning to calculate the age, and their own respective calendars to guesstimate the birthday.

That's how I'd argue it ... albeit, for TV, I imagine they would hand-wave the matter just for convenience considering they are writing for an Earthly audience.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

Of course, it then raises the question of how the aliens believe the constellations function. What about them influences the characteristics of people at birth?  Gravity? Radiation? Do they understand that constellations are optical illusions and not really clusters of stars?  Is it just magic?  A matter of faith? Because how could constellations that are only visible from the surface of this particular planet influence the personalities of people who were born in other parts of the galaxy?

#9 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

^^Yeah I meant to say not only how could they calculate to the day when people were born but how they factored in the radically different stellar configurations those times corresponded to across the galaxy. I guess they were so busy with astrology that they neglected astronomy.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#10 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 601 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:04 PM

The show is, after all, intended to be allegory and satire, and as such may not hold up to analysis as well as a project that was intended to be taken entirely seriously.

Enjoyed this one.  Decent debut for Jessica's character in the thankless role of following in Sage's footsteps.  All of her dialog sounded like it was originally written for Alara.  We'll see if she's nothing more than an Alara clone in upcoming episodes.

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostCardie, on 30 January 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

^^Yeah I meant to say not only how could they calculate to the day when people were born but how they factored in the radically different stellar configurations those times corresponded to across the galaxy. I guess they were so busy with astrology that they neglected astronomy.  
Not to mention relativity.  :D

View PostJorgasnarova, on 31 January 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

The show is, after all, intended to be allegory and satire, and as such may not hold up to analysis as well as a project that was intended to be taken entirely seriously.  
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me, but it's just fun to think about.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users