• Islander
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

Sad news.  :cry:

Carmen Argenziano (1943-2019)

argenziano_jacob-carter.jpg

Gateworld article

Carmen Argenziano (1943-2019)

The man who portrayed Jacob Carter, Stargate's "dad," has passed away at the age of 75.

The Stargate family mourns today at the passing of actor Carmen Argenziano. The veteran stage and screen actor died Saturday at the age of 75.

In a 2006 interview with GateWorld, Carmen described his career as that of a “journeyman” actor. “I remember an old acting teacher that told me, ‘Drama is revelation,'” he said. “The more you work on a role or character the more you discover about him. And in some cases there is self-discovery, too.”

In the end he had well over 200 acting credits to his name. He won an L.A. Drama Critics award for his role as a troubled police detective in the stage play “A Prayer For My Daughter.” And in 2016 he made his directorial debut on the stage.

News of his passing was first announced by close friends on social media, and has been confirmed by one of his agents.

“I was a recurring role [on Stargate] and it went on for about six years,” Carmen told GateWorld. “And it was a wonderful, wonderful experience working with Amanda and the rest of the cast and going up to Vancouver. And I enjoyed it, but all things come to an end.”

“This series has been wonderful for me,” he said. “More people recognize me as Jacob Carter than any other character I’ve played. I have a wonderful affinity for old Jacob.”

As he played Samantha Carter’s father on the show, off screen he was also a father figure to actress Amanda Tapping and other members of the cast.

“Amanda is so supportive and so warm. She’s such a positive influence on the set,” Carmen told GateWorld in 2007. “She knows everyone’s name. Always up. Always supportive. Always helping. Always contributing.

“And I remember when I was struggling a little bit with some lines of some dialogue in the first episode. She just held my hand and made a connection. And I’ve loved her ever since, actually.”

Stargate has “brought me a recognition that I’ve never had before with the wonderful fan base and the conventions, and meeting people whose lives have been so wonderfully, positively influenced by the show,” he said. “By what we do. By what we bring to them and their lives. That’s the whole reason we become actors, or at least I did, is to influence people’s lives in a positive way. To give them hope. To let them identify with what’s possible, who they are, what they may become.”

Our condolences go out to Carmen’s family and loved ones. And we celebrate his life, his work, and his remarkable contribution to our lives.

Full article at link.

SFG :cry:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 11 February 2019 - 02:45 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:40 PM

He was also quite memorable as Urza Jaddo on his single BABYLON 5 episode, "KNIVES".

R.I.P., sir.

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,018 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:11 PM

Aw, what a shame. It was always great to see him on Stargate. And, sheesh, he's two years younger than my Mother.

RIP,  Carmen Argenziano, and thank you. You succeeded in your goal.  :cry:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:53 AM

RIP
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#5 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

RIP
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carmen Argenziano, Jacob Carter, Stargate, Stargate SG-1

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users