• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,221 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:01 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 31 August 2020 - 08:14 PM, said:

I guess I didn't see Venus being bitter because she was disabled. She was bitter because another woman was gaining fame while using Venus's voice. At least that's how I interpreted it.

It's not about this single character, it's that there was a common tendency back then to portray disabled people mostly as villains. There doesn't have to be an explicit cause and effect stated within the story itself for a portrayal to reflect a wider trend.

I don't know if I'm in a more forgiving mood or just appreciate a silly, turn off you brain and don't think about the state of the world episode but I have found myself liking episodes more now on a re-watch than I did the first time I watched them.

There's silly and then there's obnoxious. "Nick Knack" was the latter. Although there is much worse to come before the end of the season. Fortunately, the show improves immensely in seasons 3-4.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#102 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,020 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 30 August 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

The idea that Jor-El and Lara are actually alien impostors running an intergalactic zoo is a nice reveal  
Sounds like a cross between "The Menagerie" and "Catspaw."

I’m fine with resets (I like Voyager’s “Year of Hell” two-parter despite that involving a time travel reset) as long as I feel like something was accomplished even with the reset happening.
I agree. By putting the characters in situations that can't or shouldn't happen in regular continuity, you get to see sides of their personalities that wouldn't normally come to light. Apparently that didn't happen here.

Part of that has to do with Jessica James. Yes, she is a beautiful woman but aside from that I don’t see why Clark would be attracted to her. When she and Superboy are dining at her hotel she reveals that she is a pretty shallow, vapid woman. She also gets extremely drunk and makes fun of the “little people.” There is nothing in her attitude that should attract Superboy.  
He wanted to save her. That's what he does.

What saves the relationship for me is Superboy’s line to Jessica after she falls asleep. “With all of my powers I can’t help you.”  
Oop, and there we go.

I also like that Superboy’s innate goodness convinced Jessica to stop living a lie and be true to herself. That is something that I love about the character. He is a symbol of hope that anyone can aspire to and it is nice to see that acknowledged here.  
We need more of that.

I think one’s enjoyment of this episode fully depends on whether one likes Gilbert Gottfried or not.
I forgot about him.  :lol:

He is going to give out free 8-track tapes and then sell 8-track players.
What year is this?  :D
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#103 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,221 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:36 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 01 September 2020 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostVirgil Vox, on 30 August 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

The idea that Jor-El and Lara are actually alien impostors running an intergalactic zoo is a nice reveal  
Sounds like a cross between "The Menagerie" and "Catspaw."

More like "How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth," in a way.

He is going to give out free 8-track tapes and then sell 8-track players.
What year is this?  :D

Early 1990. I think the obsolescence of 8-tracks was the point -- that if they wanted to be able to play the tapes, they'd have to buy the players from Andy. It makes about as much sense as any of his money-making schemes.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#104 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 08:15 PM

The Haunting of Andy McAlister

The first time I watched this episode I expected it to go in a completely different direction than the one it ultimately took.

I was expecting a haunted house episode. Well, a more traditional haunted house episode. They based Andy’s family history on the Winchesters, specifically Sarah Winchester and her weird designs for her mansion that were meant to thwart ghosts. Here Andy’s family made its fortunes on a carbine. Not only that, but Marshal McAlister killed a lot of outlaws using his carbine. I was expecting the ghosts to chase our heroes through the house. Instead they got sucked into a vortex and deposited in a Wild West saloon.

That opening scene is the best evidence yet against these three being friends. Lana and Andy are almost always fighting. Lana doesn’t even really seem to like Andy. He was extremely condescending to her here. I was surprised she didn’t hit him. Clark seems to put up with Andy because they are roommates.

Compare that to Clark, Lana, and TJ from last season. Sure, they could fight sometimes but they were also good friends. It made sense when Lana and TJ would hang out together without Clark. I see no reason why Lana ever hangs out with Andy, even with Clark around.

That all said, I did find Andy sexy in that opening scene wearing those glasses. I also loved how relaxed and laid-back Clark looked in the back seat of the car.
I almost wish they had given us a more traditional haunted house story since they spent a decent amount of time showing off the house and its crazy rooms, secret passages, and upstairs doors that have nothing but fresh air behind them.

My main complaint with the haunted saloon and the ghosts only getting free if they switch places with a living person is that there’s no reason behind any of it. Why are they trapped in a haunted saloon accessible behind a mirror in the McAlister mansion? Why does the mirror shatter and free the ghosts when Marshal McAlister’s carbine is fired? I have no problem with supernatural themed episodes, but I want some world building for a crazy concept like this.

Normally Clark’s excuses for why he is never around when Superboy does his heroics are pretty bad. Not in this episode. Clark getting freaked out by a ghost and getting lost in the maze like passages behind the walls while Lana, Andy, and Superboy have an adventure makes sense.

It was a nice touch to have Superboy linger behind and make sure that Andy is okay after passing out even though he really needs to super-speed away and put his civilian clothes back on.

Andy is actually a decent guy here, opening scene fight with Lana notwithstanding. He is trying to do a nice thing for his friends by giving them a weekend at his family’s mansion. He shows genuine concern for Clark when he realizes that his friend is stuck in the house with ghosts. He is also concerned about the ghosts going after his uncle.

It is too bad that the writers didn’t do more with Andy over the course of the season. I think he could have been a really good character, but he never progresses beyond horn dog who wants to get rich quick.

The saloon fight between Superboy and the ghosts was entertaining, though I never truly felt that the Boy of Steel was in real trouble despite having weakened powers. This season has gone to the supernatural well a lot when it comes to creating enemies for Superboy to fight.

“The Haunting of Andy McAlister” is a decent episode that I think I would have liked more had they gone for a more traditional haunted house story. As is, the story about trapped spirits needing living humans to escape what is essentially Purgatory is a good one. The problem is that with only 24 minutes to tell the story it comes across as feeling rushed and poorly explained.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#105 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,221 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:35 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 05 September 2020 - 08:15 PM, said:

The Haunting of Andy McAlister
I was expecting a haunted house episode. Well, a more traditional haunted house episode. They based Andy’s family history on the Winchesters, specifically Sarah Winchester and her weird designs for her mansion that were meant to thwart ghosts. Here Andy’s family made its fortunes on a carbine. Not only that, but Marshal McAlister killed a lot of outlaws using his carbine. I was expecting the ghosts to chase our heroes through the house. Instead they got sucked into a vortex and deposited in a Wild West saloon.

I was disturbed by Andy's borderline-sociopathic glee at how many people his ancestor killed.

That opening scene is the best evidence yet against these three being friends. Lana and Andy are almost always fighting. Lana doesn’t even really seem to like Andy. He was extremely condescending to her here. I was surprised she didn’t hit him. Clark seems to put up with Andy because they are roommates.

Compare that to Clark, Lana, and TJ from last season. Sure, they could fight sometimes but they were also good friends. It made sense when Lana and TJ would hang out together without Clark. I see no reason why Lana ever hangs out with Andy, even with Clark around.

I really did often wonder during this season why Lana didn't seem to have any female friends, or more than these two male friends. I mean, she was incredibly gorgeous. She would've had no trouble finding a date, yet she kept spending all her time socially with her platonic childhood friend and his misogynistic creep of a roommate.

I almost wish they had given us a more traditional haunted house story since they spent a decent amount of time showing off the house and its crazy rooms, secret passages, and upstairs doors that have nothing but fresh air behind them.

What I found incongruous was the reveal scene of the house. Kevin Kiner's music really tried hard to sell it as this creepy, ominous place, but it just looked like a moderately large but otherwise ordinary house.

My main complaint with the haunted saloon and the ghosts only getting free if they switch places with a living person is that there’s no reason behind any of it. Why are they trapped in a haunted saloon accessible behind a mirror in the McAlister mansion? Why does the mirror shatter and free the ghosts when Marshal McAlister’s carbine is fired? I have no problem with supernatural themed episodes, but I want some world building for a crazy concept like this.

Also, if these are the ghosts of the people the marshal shot dead, why are there so many saloon girls??? There's even a Gabby Hayes prospector type. It seems he wasn't that picky about whom he killed.

“The Haunting of Andy McAlister” is a decent episode that I think I would have liked more had they gone for a more traditional haunted house story.

I didn't care for it at all. I felt it made Andy even more obnoxious than usual.

Facebook Author Page

#106 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,020 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 05 September 2020 - 08:15 PM, said:

It's definitely a waste of a good concept. Why bring in a great setting like that and not make use of it?  It's like they had ideas for two separate episodes here.

And where was the saloon? Was it a real place?  Or a virtual setting on some supernatural plane?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#107 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,221 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:12 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 06 September 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

And where was the saloon? Was it a real place?  Or a virtual setting on some supernatural plane?

It was a low-budget supernatural realm on the other side of the cursed mirror, looking like a cross between Trek's "Spectre of the Gun" and those evil dimensions in early Power Rangers episodes.

Facebook Author Page

#108 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:03 PM

I really did often wonder during this season why Lana didn't seem to have any female friends, or more than these two male friends. I mean, she was incredibly gorgeous. She would've had no trouble finding a date, yet she kept spending all her time socially with her platonic childhood friend and his misogynistic creep of a roommate.

I know there have been some episodes where it is implied Lana is a well known person on campus but we never see her with anyone else aside from a boyfriend here and there. I can see her hanging out with Clark since they are childhood best friends and it made sense as to why she liked TJ but she should have cut Andy from her life a long time ago.

Also, if these are the ghosts of the people the marshal shot dead, why are there so many saloon girls??? There's even a Gabby Hayes prospector type. It seems he wasn't that picky about whom he killed.

That disturbed me as well, and made me wonder if the Marshal was really as good a guy as legend said.

It's definitely a waste of a good concept. Why bring in a great setting like that and not make use of it?  It's like they had ideas for two separate episodes here.

My thoughts exactly. I would have liked this episode so much better had it gone a more traditional route.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#109 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:49 PM

Revenge from the Deep

I liked this episode, mainly because it is always fun seeing Stacy Haiduk playing a villain and it is one of the episodes where Christopher’s dweeby Clark Kent is funny and used well.

I wish the episode had done a better job of explaining just what Charlie and Aurelia were. They look like coral in their actual forms, but they can turn into humans and have some pretty powerful mind blasting abilities. The episode also didn’t give a lot of insight into the central conflict about how they have to mate for life and must be physically linked forever.

Charlie did come off looking pretty bad since he abandoned Aurelia and ended up living on a janky houseboat and had a pretty bad reputation amongst the lowlife bikers. I guess that is better than what his life would have been like but again, we aren’t told nearly enough about these creatures to hazard a guess.

I did find it comical that the groovy 60s’ hangout turned into a scummy biker bar.

At first I thought Andy had found another metal detector which would have been funnier, IMO, to him finding a propeller.

Lana looked good in that 60s’ outfit. She was also pretty badass, using her abilities to wreck the bar, throw Charlie and Clark around, and almost go toe to toe with Superboy.

It was pretty dumb how she was defeated. Oh, Superboy is using a mirror that ricochets my blasts back at me? I guess I should send out one powerful blast and keep it up even though it’s killing me and doing nothing to the Boy of Steel. Solid plan.

As I wrote above, this is one of the few episodes that really does something with Clark and his geeky persona. I loved watching him enter the biker bar and deal with the unwanted attraction of the biker babe and then have to surreptitiously defend himself against the jealous biker.

It did have a sweet ending, kind of, when Charlie agreed to live with Aurelia in their true forms for the rest of their lives. I mean, he did force Aurelia back into her natural form and leave her in the ocean for a few decades and she did posses an innocent woman and then would have killed an innocent guy if he had been someone other than Clark, but yay happy ending?

Secrets of Superboy

This will be a short review because it is a clip show.

I do like the overall idea of Nick Knack using Superboy’s friends to find out weaknesses he can use against the Boy of Steel. I also like that Lana and Andy were in real peril, with the memory machine slowly killing them.

Nick Knack killing Daisy and turning her corpse into a living doll with a pull cord in her stomach that she has to pull to talk is a seriously twisted, creepy idea. The episode plays it more for laughs but if you actually stop to think about the entire idea it is pretty chilling.

Andy had an actual date for once. Miracles do happen.

This might be a weird thing to focus on but I liked that Lana was just as excited about getting a GameBoy as Andy. The gaming community can be pretty sexist so I liked that Lana wasn’t making fun of Andy for playing and wasn’t made fun of for playing.

I understand that Superboy loves Lana, but he did seem to take maybe too much time getting her free from the machine while Andy was still attached and in pain. Technically, the timer did run out while Superboy was checking on Lana so Andy should have been dead.

Maybe this is me being nitpicky but a lot of the clips were from scenes where Andy and Lana were not present. Sure, they may have learned what happened later but they weren’t actually there.

This is Nick Knack’s last appearance and I’m fine with that. He is a decent villain and it would have been interesting to see how he would have been written in the slightly darker, more mature season 3 bit it is probably best he remains in the goofier, campier season 2.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 13 September 2020 - 04:49 PM.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#110 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,020 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 September 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

They look like coral in their actual forms, but they can turn into humans and have some pretty powerful mind blasting abilities.  
Sometimes it seems like humans are the only intelligent life forms that can't change shape and shoot rays out of their whatevers.

I did find it comical that the groovy 60s’ hangout turned into a scummy biker bar.  
Kind of a metaphor for real life, unfortunately.

Lana looked good in that 60s’ outfit.  
Everybody always looks better in 60s outfits.  :D

It was pretty dumb how she was defeated. Oh, Superboy is using a mirror that ricochets my blasts back at me? I guess I should send out one powerful blast and keep it up even though it’s killing me and doing nothing to the Boy of Steel. Solid plan.  
And this could be a metaphor for politics in general.  People have a tendency to repeat failed behaviors until it destroys them.

It did have a sweet ending, kind of, when Charlie agreed to live with Aurelia in their true forms for the rest of their lives. I mean, he did force Aurelia back into her natural form and leave her in the ocean for a few decades and she did posses an innocent woman and then would have killed an innocent guy if he had been someone other than Clark, but yay happy ending?
The least unhappy ending will have to do.  :D

#111 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,221 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 September 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

Revenge from the Deep

I liked this episode, mainly because it is always fun seeing Stacy Haiduk playing a villain and it is one of the episodes where Christopher’s dweeby Clark Kent is funny and used well.

I found it mediocre, but that's a step up from most of the rest of late season 2. It's adequately watchable, though it has some plot holes and weak points.

Lana looked good in that 60s’ outfit.

Yes, although I'm unconvinced that Ariana, a magical sea creature that only spent a weekend on the surface world in the sixties, would be so attached to the fashions of the era that literally her first action upon taking over Lana’s body would be to restyle her wardrobe and hair to suit the period.

Lana also looked pretty amazing in that bikini in the first act.

As I wrote above, this is one of the few episodes that really does something with Clark and his geeky persona. I loved watching him enter the biker bar and deal with the unwanted attraction of the biker babe and then have to surreptitiously defend himself against the jealous biker.

It was kind of the opposite of surreptitious, though. The thing where he disguises super-breath as a cough is usually done to avoid calling attention to his powers, but here he overdoes it and accidentally trashes half the bar, which seems to defeat the whole purpose. It didn't make much sense that they did it that way.

Other implausibilities: That just mentioning "Charlie" was enough to get both of them pointed to the right guy (is there only one Charlie in the entire city?), and that it took Ariana the whole night and morning to track Charlie down after being told exactly where to find him (maybe she had a terrible sense of direction?).

Secrets of Superboy

I do like the overall idea of Nick Knack using Superboy’s friends to find out weaknesses he can use against the Boy of Steel. I also like that Lana and Andy were in real peril, with the memory machine slowly killing them.

I found nothing to like about it. The worst kind of clip show, a plot that serves no purpose besides framing clips, and built around one of the show's most annoying villains.

Nick Knack killing Daisy and turning her corpse into a living doll with a pull cord in her stomach that she has to pull to talk is a seriously twisted, creepy idea. The episode plays it more for laughs but if you actually stop to think about the entire idea it is pretty chilling.

Yeah, that was an ugly thing to do. These episodes treated Daisy horribly.

I understand that Superboy loves Lana, but he did seem to take maybe too much time getting her free from the machine while Andy was still attached and in pain. Technically, the timer did run out while Superboy was checking on Lana so Andy should have been dead.

We can only dream...

Maybe this is me being nitpicky but a lot of the clips were from scenes where Andy and Lana were not present. Sure, they may have learned what happened later but they weren’t actually there.

Yup, part of what made it so dumb.

The only thing that keeps this one from being the worst episode of the season is... the very next episode.

Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users