Ben Affleck Batman DC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

https://variety.com/...ion-1203141328/

Ben Affleck is hanging up his cape and saying goodbye to Batman.

In an appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” Thursday, the actor explained why he will not be returning as the Caped Crusader in the 2021 film “The Batman,” to be written and directed by Matt Reeves. Affleck is retiring from the role after playing Bruce Wayne in only three movies: “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “Suicide Squad,” and “Justice League.”

“I tried to direct a version of it and worked with a really good screenwriter, but just couldn’t come up with a version, I couldn’t crack it,” Affleck told Kimmel. “So I thought it was time to let someone else take a shot at it. They got some really good people, so I’m excited.”

I don't think this news surprises any one but it is sad. I liked Affleck as Batman and was curious to see how he would do in a solo movie.

This does seem to point to DC not knowing what it is doing right now. Their main Batman actor has called it quits after 3 movies, right before the first solo movie for the character. Cavill is reportedly done as Superman after 3 movies and there are no plans for a solo Superman movie.

I do wonder who will be cast as Batman, and how the movie will fit into the overall DC universe. Will it be an origin story? Will it take place after Justice League? Will it be a stand-alone movie not connected to the larger film-verse?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

I think maybe they do know what they're doing -- which is recognizing that their earlier movies other than Wonder Woman pretty much fell flat, so they're putting all of that behind them and going ahead with a new era defined more by standalone films like Aquaman.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Indeed.  The biggest complaints I heard regarding the DCU films were that they were inappropriately grim and dark.  With Wonder Woman and Aquaman the studio had their biggest successes with a more lighthearted and balanced tone.  Shazam appears to be a full on campy comedy judging by the trailers, which could make it even more successful than Aquaman....or it could be the next Batman and Robin if the comedy is perceived as being too overblown.

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:07 PM

View PostChristopher, on 18 February 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

I think maybe they do know what they're doing -- which is recognizing that their earlier movies other than Wonder Woman pretty much fell flat, so they're putting all of that behind them and going ahead with a new era defined more by standalone films like Aquaman.

That is what I am hoping for as well but I seem to alternate between being optimistic about the future of DC films and pessimistic. I guess I am at the pessimistic stage.

I also think doing more stand-alone films and maybe only having big team films every now and then might work to their advantage. That way the individual heroes can get complete stories in their own right. Look at Captain America. Civil War, while great, seemed more like Avengers 2.5 and didn't really bring any closure to the character like Iron Man 3 did.

View PostJorgasnarova, on 18 February 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

Indeed.  The biggest complaints I heard regarding the DCU films were that they were inappropriately grim and dark.  With Wonder Woman and Aquaman the studio had their biggest successes with a more lighthearted and balanced tone.  Shazam appears to be a full on campy comedy judging by the trailers, which could make it even more successful than Aquaman....or it could be the next Batman and Robin if the comedy is perceived as being too overblown.

I'm hoping Shazam manages to have a balanced tone and that it is a hit like Aquaman. I am looking forward to that more than Captain Marvel or Avengers: Endgame. I think I am just suffering fatigue when it comes to the Marvel movies but the DC films are still more or less in the early, anything can happen stages.

Regarding Batman & Robin, I think I am finally at a stage where I can enjoy the movie for what it is, especially since it is no longer the death knell for live action Batman movies.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ben Affleck, Batman, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users