Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

THE ORVILLE - S2, E9: "IDENTITY, PART II"...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

Ed and the crew travel to Isaac's home planet Kaylon.

(We already know this as last week's episode, but this was the description that was available.)

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

Unless... they go back.  :lol:

I've been thinking about how this might turn out. I'd be surprised if the kids weren't involved in the resolution, especially since there was that scene of the Kaylon entering their quarters, but no scene of them in captivity.  I also noticed that there was no clear TOS-like message in this story yet (aside from "It's bad to kill people and hide their bodies in your basement"), so I think that will come into play in the finale.  Given the title of the episode and the hypocrisy of the Kaylons' ideology (they berated the humans for things like genocide before being revealed as far worse), I think it may end up being a commentary on Identity Politics. Those who are not like us must be destroyed. Given the very irrational and un-robotlike behaviors of the Kaylons, they may realize that they are actually just acting out the programming of the people they hated, and have become just like them. It may be significant that Isaac talked about altering his own programming in the Big Romance episode, because that would mean that the Kaylons can give up their genocidal programming if they choose to.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:53 AM

WOW!  Just... wow!

This was an epic episode.  Isaac an exile, possible open door for peace with the Krill, and that battle... that was movie quality.

Game changer episodes, indeed.  There better be a third season.  I will be extremely shocked if it doesn't get it, especially the discount the show will get for a third season according to a list of shows that was getting that break next season.

Edited by FarscapeOne, 01 March 2019 - 12:55 AM.

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

This was definitely a great episode, easily the equal of "Best of Both Worlds," and it's hard to believe that it was only an hour long, but I have to admit to some disappointments.  I was pretty sure that Isaac would turn, but it shouldn't have happened on a dime-- there was no (visible) process to it, aside from him previously objecting to the ensign's execution. We saw no reasons, just his presumptive attachment to the kids. The specter of Identity Politics was there, with the Kaylons' motivations and prejudices made clear, but I expected that Isaac would confront them with the hypocrisy of becoming what they hated. The message was implicit, but without it being made explicit this is the first Orville, I think, that is pure action-adventure without a clear moral. Also, the Kaylons were not really very sophisticated. I was surprised that the Kaylon guarding the guns (and the Primary) could be brought down without the rest of them knowing it instantly.  And they're not very quick on the draw-- Isaac was able to drop bunches of them without any of them getting off a shot. The EMP pulse was a bit simple as well.  Also disappointing was how easy Isaac was restored to his place on the ship-- I'm sure this story will result in a lot of friction on board, but I can't believe that Halsey would not want him on Earth to be endlessly debriefed, if not dissected.

However, there were a million things to love about this episode, the uppermost one being Yaphit getting his moment to shine. I love how he saved Ty by leaping onto, and into, the Kaylon, nearly making a fried egg out of himself in the process. Ty himself played a great role, helping to send the message and never giving up on Isaac.  Claire spent most of the episode playing the worried mother, but had a nice moment with Isaac at the end with her words of  forgiveness.  And, of course, Gordon and Kelly got to go recruit the Krill as allies. The narrow escape from the shuttle bay and the life-or-death quantum jump were overkill, but I laughed out loud when Gordon appeared in that Krill fighter and made faces at the Krill next to him. And, just so we don't forget that this is The Orville, we have the pee wall and Gordon asking the Krill captain if he was high.   :lol:

So, in the end, it was a game changer, like they said-- the Kaylons are now Galactic Enemy Number One and the Krill are potential allies, Avis willing, but it remains to be seen how things will change for Isaac. Will he feel more free to alter his own programming now that he is forever alone, as the head of the Primary said?  Nothing was mentioned, but presumably the Kaylons can no longer turn him on or off at will.  What will become of his relationship to Claire-- and will he have competition in Yaphit, now that Yaphit risked his life to save Ty?  And we still don't know what motivates the Kaylons.  They talked about expansion into the galaxy, but for what purpose?  We know what turns them off, but what turns them on?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

Ultimately, a very predictable by the numbers episode with all the Trek inspired tropes intact.

That said, 'twas marvelous, wasn't it?

Good performances by the whole cast, great musical score and the VFX team really earned their pay for this one.

#6 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:33 PM

If I remember correctly, they said in part one that their world is no longer big enough for their population and needed to expand outward.  But they were deciding on whether or not to kill all organics before doing so.

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

Yeah, but why are they expanding?  They're robots.  People explore and migrate because they are curious or they want better lives, or want to find something or lose something, because they want to create a new way of life or recreate an old way of life, or start a family or create art or make discoveries or whatever.  What do robots want, and why?

#8 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

I think they want to make more Kaylons, but their world cannot handle more.

Basically, overpopulation.

Another thing to consider, too.  Eventually, every star will go cold, and likely nova.  If they just stay on Kaylon and never go outward, when that happens they become extinct.

#9 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

I think there are physical limitations to how big their server farms can get on Kaylon. They also probably fear that biologicals would eventually unite to wipe them out, so they need back-up worlds and back-up Kaylons.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:42 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 03 March 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

I think they want to make more Kaylons  
Why?

If they just stay on Kaylon and never go outward, when that happens they become extinct.  
Why do they care?

View PostCardie, on 03 March 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

They also probably fear that biologicals would eventually unite to wipe them out  
How would robots feel fear?

#11 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:00 AM

Well, they are considered a sentient life, and one of the most things that makes life is the desire to procreate.

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

I can't think of any scenario where the Kaylons, as depicted, have any motivation whatsoever-- unless it was programmed into them by their creators. Perhaps a terrorist released a virus into the system that caused the Kaylons to simulate the results of human feelings without simulating the feelings themselves.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users