• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:53 PM

The cluster-barf of American politics takes much of the attention of the news, even in Canada.
Anyways Canada is expecting a Federal election to come fall, and I know there are a few Canadians on here.

Anyone on here heard about or follow the SNC-Lavalin controversy over the last few weeks?

Basically, as far as I understand, SNC-Lavalin is a huge construction company based out of Montreal, and they get tonnes of government contracts. They have been investigated for corruption, specifically bribing a government official. I think in Libya (though there have been accusations of the same in Canada IIUC).

Anyways government prosecutors were investigating them for this, and the Attorney General of Canada, MP Jody Wilson-Raybould, was not intending to interfere in a lower prosecutor's prosecutory discretion in deciding whether to take SNC-Lavalin to court or to do a DPA (Deferred Prosecution Agreement, basically a slap on the wrist).

Jody Wilson-Raybould was gagged for weeks about this while the Liberal party and their props smeared her, but yesterday she was able to testify about how she feels what happen.

She essentially testified that over 4+ months the Prime Minister, members of other high offices, or their staff, were pressuring her and her staff to politically interfere with the SNC-Lavalin case and the prosecutor working it, to prod it towards a DPA. She said what they didn't do was illegal. (Though I did see elsewhere policy or legislation that makes political interference like this highly suspect), but was highly improper, and that they continued after she said she had made her decision.

She said that it has been said that 7000+ jobs were at stake in politically sensitive ridings (i.e. political districts). Which seems misleading (construction still needs to happen, other companies would get the work), and political considerations being used to interfere in criminal justice.

This would be similar to the White House attempting to interfere in the Justice Department (not that we haven't seen that happen lately....).

I am not happy about this, though I find the cries of outrage from the Conservatives very likely disingenuous.... I feel like they are only outraged because they can't do this shady stuff for their corporate friends. I get that this is often how politics works, though I am not happy about it, but I am not voting for Conservatives over this. I am an ABC voter, even if Liberals and NDP may seem only like a longer acting poison at times you always vote for one of the poisons that will take longer to kill you over the one that will kill you the fastest.

I am wondering if it will shift any left-leaning folk away from Liberals and towards NDP... I really hope that left-leaning folk don't stay home after this. The only thing that got Harper out and the Liberals and Trudeau in in 2015 was the voter turnout. We already have Doug Ford, Premier Dime Bag, in Ontario. We really don't need Scheer as PM and Conservatives as the ruling party. I don't know about Jagmeet yet, but I'd still vote for him over Scheer. I really miss Jack Layton :(
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:37 AM

Business as usual for the Liberals or any other political party.
Seems during election years the opposition pulls out the big guns to defame the ruling party.
The Sponsorship Scandal took down the last Liberal government with Paul Martin.
He did have his hand in the cookie jar.

On the lighter side, Trudeau made it on to the Simpsons.

I suspect it was pay back for a 22 Minutes skit where they had Trump humping the flag.

He's not weak, that was Trump's attempt to demoralize him so he could get the upper hand since he does not like the way Canada negotiates.

Trudeau still has my vote. I'm living high on the poverty line now that he repaired the damage the last government did to the poor and the sick. Seniors can now afford meals on wheels again.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users