Power Rangers Nickelodeon

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

"Beasts Unleashed"

I have to admit, that was a really good premiere. I had my doubts that this season would be any different than the last few even with Hasbro in charge but the premiere was good. Fingers crossed the show stays this good.

The characters feel real and all of the main Rangers have been given personalities and what could be arcs. Devon is a slacker and rule breaker who doesn't get along with his father. Ravi is more of a rule follower as we saw when he broke up with his girlfriend since Rangers can't date. His mother is the commander of Grid Battleforce. Now his girlfriend is in a coma while an evil avatar with her face is on the loose. Zoey had the least development but she is a bright young woman willing to do whatever it takes to help people.

The supporting characters are decent as well. Mayor Daniels comes across as competent and he raises some real concerns about using the morphing grid as a power supply. I also liked how he name dropped several villains. Commander Shaw seems like a no-nonsense type of character, similar to Doggie or Col. Truman. Nate is your resident PR child tech genius. He did get some heroic moments at the end of the episode.

I groaned when I saw yet another comedic duo appear on screen. Nothing they did convinced me the writers learned how to write characters like these effectively. I don't understand the apparent need to have Bulk and Skull like characters. They rarely work on the show. Cassidy and Devin are the only ones I can think of that truly worked and actually evolved over the course of their series, much like Bulk and Skull. At least there weren't any fart jokes.

The fight scenes were extremely well done. I can't remember the last time we have had civilian fight scenes that weren't laughable but BM pulls it off. The suited up fight was awesome.

Nice twist that Blaze and Roxy were copied and put into a coma instead of turned evil. I'm just happy that we essentially have evil Rangers again. I love evil Ranger arcs and we haven't really gotten one since Jungle Fury, and even then the evil Rangers were just props.

I hope we see the gym again. It was a nice set and gave off Juice Bar vibes. The main GB base is well designed.

Blaze did completely overreact to Devon at the beginning but Devon wasn't blameless either. He was being disrespectful to the lesson going on. He didn't deserve the attack Blaze launched against him but I could understand Blaze getting upset.

The directing of the episode was quite good and it had a cinematic quality to it.

It has been a long time since I've felt anything other than apathy to new PR but this episode has me liking the series again. It could all come crashing down but for now I'm just going to bask in having new PR that I like and am anxious to see more of.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:13 PM

Oh, I forgot this was on today. Luckily they're rerunning it tomorrow morning, and my DVR's set up now.

I'm keeping my expectations low, since Go-Busters was excellent and I doubt this adaptation can live up to it. Also it has the same producers as the past few Neo-Saban seasons, and though I thought Dino Charge was pretty good, Ninja Steel was very poor aside from a strong cast.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:51 AM

Power Rangers Beast Morphers: "Beasts Unleashed": I'm genuinely impressed. Beast Morphers is off to a strong start with this pilot. The characters are well-drawn from the start, with interesting conflicts and things to prove. Red Ranger Devon is a bit of a slacker, but it's because he's so capable that he's bored at the lack of adequate challenges. The opening scene establishes that he has an edge to him too. Giving him a stern father he has to keep his identity secret from is reminscent of Time Force/Timeranger, and there's also a definite vibe of Scott and Col. Truman from RPM. Those were two of the best seasons ever, so they're good precedents to evoke.

Zoey's eagerness to face and solve big problems, along with her underdog status, makes her appealing. Ravi's actor is kind of bland, but his tragic romance arc and the main villainess being an avatar of his girlfriend has a lot of potential. I wonder if the evil avatars of Blaze and Roxy will still have some humanity inside them that can be drawn out.

I love the worldbuilding, the way the storyline is built around the franchise's history and the established legacy of the Power Rangers -- the Morphin Grid as the ultimate energy source being battled over, the existence of Power Rangers being a well-known and storied institution that the organization is continuing in its own way. The casualness of their willingness to perform mad-science genetic mutation experiments on teenagers is really creepy if you think about it -- especially since Nate mutated Devon and Zoey without bothering to get their consent first -- but I suppose there's precedent in the franchise for similarly cavalier genetic experiments on Rangers.

It does play fast and loose with continuity a bit, though. Mayor Daniels claims that all the villains from Rita onward have been after the Rangers' power sources, when usually they were just out to conquer the world. And listing Sledge as one of those past villains overlooks that Dino Charge was treated as an alternate reality. But then, it's no different from how Kamen Rider Zi-O glossed over the previous season Kamen Rider Build being in an alternate reality. Continuity has always been highly flexible in these franchises.

Of course, we still get a bumbling comic-relief duo, this time a pair of sibling security guards, Betty & Ben Burke. So far they seem harmless enough -- at least they aren't obnoxiously overacted delinquents like Victor and Monty. I'm reminded of how Bulk and Skull were annoying as bullies in season 1 but finally came into their own when they became bumbling cops in season 3 and after. At least the Burkes mean well, so they can't be as unpleasant as V&M were.

It's interesting that the premiere used no Go-Busters footage aside from some establishing shots of the Enetron (now Morph-X) Towers. I don't think it's the first time we've seen an all-original Power Rangers premiere episode, but it's pretty rare. Anyway, it's amusing that they've named the organization "Grid Battleforce" so that they can justify the Go-Busters' GB logo appearing on the Ranger costumes and gear.

All in all, a very encouraging start to the Hasbro Era of Power Rangers. I hope the season can stay at this level or even surpass it.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

It does play fast and loose with continuity a bit, though. Mayor Daniels claims that all the villains from Rita onward have been after the Rangers' power sources, when usually they were just out to conquer the world. And listing Sledge as one of those past villains overlooks that Dino Charge was treated as an alternate reality. But then, it's no different from how Kamen Rider Zi-O glossed over the previous season Kamen Rider Build being in an alternate reality. Continuity has always been highly flexible in these franchises.

That bothered me as well but PR has never had that tight of a continuity anyways, at least not since In Space and the end of the Zordon Era. The Mayor did mention other dimensions so maybe they have a way to contact or at least see those other dimensions.

Of course, we still get a bumbling comic-relief duo, this time a pair of sibling security guards, Betty & Ben Burke. So far they seem harmless enough -- at least they aren't obnoxiously overacted delinquents like Victor and Monty. I'm reminded of how Bulk and Skull were annoying as bullies in season 1 but finally came into their own when they became bumbling cops in season 3 and after. At least the Burkes mean well, so they can't be as unpleasant as V&M were.

I am hoping these two are more of a Bulk and Skull type but I'm not holding out hope. Honestly I don't think the show needs comic relief characters. The comedy can come from the Rangers. Look at Ziggy from RPM or Chip from Mystic Force. At least these two aren't in the opening credits so hopefully their roles will be small.

All in all, a very encouraging start to the Hasbro Era of Power Rangers. I hope the season can stay at this level or even surpass it.

I'm with you on that. I haven't been this excited about PR in a long time. I hope Hasbro doesn't let us down.

Something that I like is the fact that there will only be five Rangers this year. That should allow for better character focus and development.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 03 March 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

That bothered me as well but PR has never had that tight of a continuity anyways, at least not since In Space and the end of the Zordon Era.

Yeah, the general practice in PR and Super Sentai tends to be that continuity between seasons is ignored except in the crossovers.

Although Super Sentai continuity has nothing on the mess that is Kamen Rider continuity. Okay, originally there were 5 interconnected seasons in the early '70s (in the Showa Era of the Japanese calendar), each one a new series with a new lead, but with a recurring inventor/ally character uniting them all and lots of crossovers between Riders. Then the show was off for a few years and was rebooted in '79, but halfway through the season, they decided to make it a sequel instead of a reboot and brought in the first 7 Riders as guests (since the first two series had had 2 Riders each). Then there was another reboot in the late '80s whose first season was entirely standalone but whose second eventually brought in all the past Riders again.

Then in 2000 we get the start of the Heisei-Era Kamen Rider. For most of the first 10 seasons, there was no continuity between seasons and no crossovers, with each show being its own separate reality and even the theatrical movie tie-ins often being overtly alternate-reality versions of the shows' characters and worlds. Then in 2009 they did Kamen Rider Decade, sort of the Crisis on Infinite Earths of the franchise, about a Rider crossing between the alternate realities of the previous 9 Riders (only one of which was the same reality as the original series, with all the others being weird reinterpretations with different actors/characters), and then eventually even crossing over with the Showa Riders and Samurai Sentai Shinkenger -- ultimately leading to the multiverse essentially being destroyed and recreated, after which, in "Heisei Phase 2," all Kamen Riders started being treated as part of the same reality, with it becoming routine to have crossover movies between consecutive series, and to have one series' finale foreshadowing the next series, as well as periodic movies and specials teaming up many or all of the past Riders and sometimes even crossing over with Super Sentai. Although at least a couple of the Phase 2 series have been on alternate Earths from the rest, but now, as the Heisei Era comes to a close, they're doing another anniversary series, Zi-O, about a Rider who can travel through time and acquire past Heisei Riders' powers -- and it treats even those alternate-world seasons as part of the same reality as the rest, even before the characters' time-travel shenanigans rewrite reality.

Honestly I don't think the show needs comic relief characters. The comedy can come from the Rangers.

True enough. There was a lot of character humor in Go-Busters revolving around the main characters themselves. Although their Buddy Roids (their robot-vehicle partners) tended to be comic relief characters most of the time. Apparently Beast Morphers will be using them as "Beast Bots," but there's no indication yet of what their personalities will be like.

Edited by Christopher, 03 March 2019 - 08:50 PM.

Facebook Author Page

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

Then in 2000 we get the start of the Heisei-Era Kamen Rider. For most of the first 10 seasons, there was no continuity between seasons and no crossovers, with each show being its own separate reality and even the theatrical movie tie-ins often being overtly alternate-reality versions of the shows' characters and worlds. Then in 2009 they did Kamen Rider Decade, sort of the Crisis on Infinite Earths of the franchise, about a Rider crossing between the alternate realities of the previous 9 Riders (only one of which was the same reality as the original series, with all the others being weird reinterpretations with different actors/characters), and then eventually even crossing over with the Showa Riders and Samurai Sentai Shinkenger -- ultimately leading to the multiverse essentially being destroyed and recreated, after which, in "Heisei Phase 2," all Kamen Riders started being treated as part of the same reality, with it becoming routine to have crossover movies between consecutive series, and to have one series' finale foreshadowing the next series, as well as periodic movies and specials teaming up many or all of the past Riders and sometimes even crossing over with Super Sentai. Although at least a couple of the Phase 2 series have been on alternate Earths from the rest, but now, as the Heisei Era comes to a close, they're doing another anniversary series, Zi-O, about a Rider who can travel through time and acquire past Heisei Riders' powers -- and it treats even those alternate-world seasons as part of the same reality as the rest, even before the characters' time-travel shenanigans rewrite reality.

That seems really confusing and unnecessarily convoluted. I am interested in watching Decade now, though. My only exposure to Kamen Rider are the two American adaptations.

"Evox's Revenge"

The title seems wasted on this episode since Evox is barely in it and there is no revenge to be had.

I did like the episode but it seemed rushed and I felt that it tried to introduce too many things at once.

I thought that the fight over who would be leader was handled rather well. Ravi had a good claim to be leader since he was the only one who was actually recruited to be a Ranger. Zoey has a decent claim in that she has been working for the organization for a long time, is extremely dedicated, and almost became a Ranger candidate. Devon didn't care. He was too busy comparing everything to a video game. I get it dude but come on.

I was half hoping that they would make someone other than the Red Ranger the leader but I knew that would be a pipe dream. At least it was handled well and Devon's actions throughout the episode clearly pointed to him being the natural leader.

I had heard about the weaknesses in the original Sentai version but I was hoping they wouldn't be ported over. My hopes were dashed. Still, they weren't as bad as I thought. I liked that the weaknesses came from Evox's corruption of the DNA alteration machine. They aren't just random weaknesses thrown in.

It does feel like Devon has less of a handicap than the others. Yes, if he sees a dog he freezes up but once the dog leaves or the image is removed he is good to go. If Ravi uses too much strength he goes all roid rage and has to literally cool down to be okay again. If Zoey uses too much energy during a battle she collapses and has to eat a carrot to regain strength.

Ah yes, the domesticated dog. The natural predator of cheetahs worldwide.

The Cyber Dimension looks good. It feels like its own isolated world.

Scrozzle seems like an okay henchman. I do think he bowed down to Evox rather quickly but since he is apparently on the run from some nasty creature maybe he wants a powerful boss backing him up.

We learn nothing about Evox in this episode. We have no idea how he was created or why he wants to return to the regular world.

Blaze is proving to be a good villain. I like the battle banter he had with Devon. They have a nice rivalry going on, something we haven't really seen between a Ranger and a main villain in a while.

Roxy was wasted here. Hopefully she doesn't stay behind in every episode.

I like the Beast Bots and wished they had been featured in the episode more. Plus, they are comedic characters, which means we don't really need Betty and Ben. I love that Cruise is voiced by Kelson Henderson.

Speaking of Ben and Betty I will admit that they weren't too bad here. Their antics were actually part of the plot and they felt integrated into the episode and, something that Victor and Monty never seemed to accomplish.

The Zords are nice. I love that we have actual cockpits again and not that rubbish white wall with dumb stands that we have been stuck with in every season of Neo-Saban PR apart from Megaforce. Of course, they haven't formed the MegaZord yet so we could still get stuck with that.

The Battle Mode for the Beast Racer looks like a MegaZord already so I wonder how they all fit together. I did see what the Go-Buster MegaZord looked like some time ago but I don't remember it now.

I love that instead of the monster of the week growing to large size we have separate Gigadrones. That should help to keep the Zord battles feeling fresh, much the same way it did during SPD.

I do wish they had separated some of this stuff out. Introducing the Beast Bots, the Zords, the weaknesses, and everything in the Cyber Dimension made this episode feel rushed. I shouldn't complain too much. It is still better than most of what has come before.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:55 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 March 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

That seems really confusing and unnecessarily convoluted.

Well, I'm summarizing 19 years of franchise evolution in one paragraph, so it sounds more convoluted than it was. Basically, they spent most of the first decade making each season/series a standalone, then they changed their approach and treated everything as a unified whole, more or less.

I am interested in watching Decade now, though.

It's really one of the weakest seasons. Stuff kept happening arbitrarily or for ill-defined reasons, and it never really became clear what the point of it was, either textually or metatextually. I mean, yes, obviously the point was to do a retrospective of the Heisei Riders, but why do that if most of them are alternate characters in rebooted worlds? Fans hoping to revisit old favorites must've been frustrated by that. And the biggest developments don't even happen in the series itself; the answers to the big mystery driving the series were given in the theatrical tie-in movie instead of the series proper, and then the series ended on a cliffhanger that didn't get resolved until the next theatrical movie (the first of their annual Movie War crossover films that did one segment each with the previous and current Kamen Riders and then a third segment in which they join forces for a climactic battle with their respective villains).

Also, I wouldn't recommend watching it before the earlier Heisei seasons. Its versions of them (except for one) are alternate realities, so you can follow them well enough as standalones, but a couple of them spoil major secrets from the earlier seasons.

My only exposure to Kamen Rider are the two American adaptations.

The first of those, Saban's Masked Rider, is widely hated by KR fandom, having almost nothing in common with its source material besides action footage. It was adapted from the last Showa-Era season, Kamen Rider Black RX, which is one of the most highly regarded seasons of that era (though I haven't seen it yet), but it dumbed it down into something a lot more goofy. As for the second, Kamen Rider Dragon Knight (a literal translation of Kamen Rider Ryuki, the season it was based on), I remember seeing a few episodes of it and losing interest, but I gather it's fairly well-regarded. It's somewhat more faithful to the ideas and tone of Ryuki, but still tells a very different story, in part to make it more suitable for American kids' TV (e.g. defeated Riders are trapped in limbo rather than killed). In Ryuki, the Riders were in a Highlander-type battle to the death where the last one standing would gain the power to grant any wish, and it was all the work of a scientist with a mysterious and ultimately tragic motivation; while Dragon Knight was about an alien invasion and the Riders were fighting for one of the two opposing sides.

On to Beast Morphers: "Evox's Revenge" was another reasonably good episode, mostly completing the establishment of the status quo for both villains and heroes. And we finally get Go-Busters action footage, apparently taken from episode 5.

Rorrie D. Travis is still impressive as Devon, charismatic and capable with a good balance of arrogance and decency. I'm really starting to like the attitude and personality that Jacqueline Scislowski brings to Zoey. The weak link is Jasmeet Baduwalia as Ravi; he's just kind of bland.

Ben and Betty are still the goofy comic relief, but at least they genuinely try to help and managed to make a difference. I like how gung-ho and fearless Betty is, even though her self-confidence is greater than her abilities warrant. Ben is more realistic about their limitations and thus more timid, so he gets dragged along under protest. It's a workable dynamic, and an enormous improvement on Victor and Monty.

They're keeping the idea of the Beast Bots as sentient partners, something I wasn't sure they'd use. Their personalities aren't quite the same as their Buddy Roid counterparts from Go-Busters, though.

Oddly, though, they've changed the way the morphers work, adding separate keys that supposedly plug into nonexistent slots on the devices. They've kept the bit where the "sunglasses" visors are the last part of the helmets to materialize, but the "sunglasses" are no longer popup pieces from the morphers themselves. They've also made the morphing effect look less "digital" and more like a swirly, cloudy energy field.

The title seems wasted on this episode since Evox is barely in it and there is no revenge to be had.

Evox seems to be much the same as Messiah from Go-Busters, an evil, sentient virus trapped in an alternate dimension and sending its agents to our world to gather Enetron/Morph-X to power its return. But they've replaced Messiah's skull avatar with a more kid-friendly cobra. They've also simplified the origin of his two avatar agents and introduced them both at the same time -- even giving Blaze the Dark Ranger costume that his counterpart Enter didn't gain until the last couple of episodes. (Roxy's counterpart was called Escape; she was very sexy and very violent, carrying around two huge guns that she called Gog and Magog.)

I had heard about the weaknesses in the original Sentai version but I was hoping they wouldn't be ported over. My hopes were dashed. Still, they weren't as bad as I thought. I liked that the weaknesses came from Evox's corruption of the DNA alteration machine. They aren't just random weaknesses thrown in.

Why didn't you want them included? It's good for heroes to have challenges they need to overcome. The Weak Points were a clever innovation on the usual Sentai tropes, a nice complication that the Go-Busters had to wrestle with. And they weren't random, but were the other side of the coin from their superpowers, the price they had to pay for pushing their bodies beyond normal abilities. Hiromu and Yoko both had to pay for their enhanced energy with occasional shutdowns, and Ryuji's superstrength made him overheat both physically and emotionally.

The Zords are nice. I love that we have actual cockpits again and not that rubbish white wall with dumb stands that we have been stuck with in every season of Neo-Saban PR apart from Megaforce. Of course, they haven't formed the MegaZord yet so we could still get stuck with that.

The cockpit footage so far is straight from Go-Busters. I assume they'll continue that with the Beast-X Megazord/Go-Buster Oh.

The Battle Mode for the Beast Racer looks like a MegaZord already so I wonder how they all fit together. I did see what the Go-Buster MegaZord looked like some time ago but I don't remember it now.

Basically the red one forms the core body, the blue one becomes its chest and legs, and the yellow one becomes its arms and weapons. We've seen other Megazords where one or more of the individual components had a humanoid form, starting with the Red Dragon Thunderzord (RyuseiOh).

I love that instead of the monster of the week growing to large size we have separate Gigadrones. That should help to keep the Zord battles feeling fresh, much the same way it did during SPD.

Yes, I'm glad they kept that, because it lets them make use of Go-Busters's interesting variations on the usual Sentai formula, where instead of always having the human-sized monster get defeated and then turned giant, you can do things like having the giant form turn up first or having the Rangers fight both of them at the same time.

I do wish they had separated some of this stuff out. Introducing the Beast Bots, the Zords, the weaknesses, and everything in the Cyber Dimension made this episode feel rushed. I shouldn't complain too much. It is still better than most of what has come before.

The problem is, Sentai seasons are usually around 48-50 episodes long while Power Rangers seasons are much shorter. Well, not that much shorter in the Neo-Saban era where they usually did two 20-episode seasons for each Sentai series (aside from Goseiger and Gokaiger).

Edited by Christopher, 11 March 2019 - 08:01 AM.

Facebook Author Page

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

"End of the Road"

I didn't have much hope for this episode at first because the plot seemed lame but it worked really well.

I do question using the Morph-X in civilian bicycles when the Rangers know that there are villains out there whose sole goal is to steal as much Morph-X as possible. I can see using the energy source to power cities but using it like they did in this episode just invites trouble. Which is what happened.

What I liked is that the bikes failed at first. People didn't want to ride them and they had legitimate reasons. It felt real. That goes for why the bikes suddenly became popular: the Rangers used them.

Betty and Ben were okay here, though I don't think they need their own theme music. As long as they are used sparingly and a fart jokes never rears its ugly head I might grow to like them.

It seemed like Roxy was going to get side-lined again but then she fought the Rangers and it was great. I am loving having two evil Rangers, essentially.

Ravi was thrown at first by seeing Roxy, which makes sense. He hasn't seen the evil avatar since she ran away at the end of the premiere.

Evil Blaze in those tight evil pants is pretty handsome.

Nate got some back story which was nice and unexpected. He has always wanted a family and now he is getting one with the Rangers.

The Zord battle was really good. Usually I am bored with them but this one was creative and had a little bit of tension. Still no MegaZord formation which is odd but I'm not complaining. The individual Zords look great and I have no problem with them being featured more.

Zoey's mom is the reporter. I think this is one of the few PR seasons where we have seen all the Rangers with parents. They either aren't mentioned or only one or two Rangers are seen with their parents.

This was a good focus episode for Zoey. It showed her determination, her keen business sense, and her love of nature.

They still haven't done much with the Beast Bots yet. Maybe future episodes.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

"End of the Road" was a bit of a silly one -- a decent idea of Zoey trying to convince the Mayor to cancel a forest-destroying road project in favor of green-energy Morph-X-powered bikes (which supposedly can be either pedaled or self-powered, but which were never really shown as anything other than ordinary bikes), but the execution was kind of silly, in the ridiculous ease with which the Mayor could postpone or cancel a construction project on the spot after what were presumably months' worth of planning and contract negotiations that the city would be heavily penalized for breaching. Not to mention the absurd idea that all the forest animals endangered by the road could be gathered up one by one and evacuated in a few cars. Also, it's oddly behind the times, given how many cities already have bike-sharing programs like the one presented here as novel and unpopular.

Still, I'm really growing to like Jacqueline Scizlowski as Zoey -- she's an effective actress who brings charm, strength, and humor to the role, and she's pretty nice-looking too. This was Liana Ramirez's first substantial turn as the evil Roxy avatar, and she was pretty effective too. Zoey and Roxy had a nice face-off in the warehouse at the climax.

I liked how they subverted our expectations about Ben and Betty. When we first saw Betty getting excited about building their own X-Bike, the expectation was that they'd totally fumble it somehow, but the next time we saw them, they'd built an awesome tandem bike that everyone admired (and it even had cupholders!), and it didn't go wrong until the monster attacked. They did overreach themselves more comically at the end, but it was nice to see that the comic-relief characters don't invariably screw things up. It helps explain how they stay employed at Grid Battleforce.

The monster and the climactic action footage came from Go-Busters episode 3, in which the "Needleoid" was converted from medical equipment and the plot involved the villains stealing a hospital's Enetron supply -- so they really toned it down a lot here. As far as I could tell, the only Go-Busters footage was of the giant robots' fight. The battle with the smaller robot was all-new, since its G-B counterpart fought the Go-Busters inside a hospital.

And I was wrong last week -- they've kept the part of the morphing sequence where the sunglasses pop up from the morphers and they hold them in front of their faces to complete the transformation. Although they've created their own version of the sequence, with the swirly cloudy energies and the roaring animal faces forming out of them (and a roaring bunny looks kind of weird).

View PostVirgil Vox, on 17 March 2019 - 05:24 PM, said:

I do question using the Morph-X in civilian bicycles when the Rangers know that there are villains out there whose sole goal is to steal as much Morph-X as possible. I can see using the energy source to power cities but using it like they did in this episode just invites trouble. Which is what happened.

But the whole idea is that it's a green energy source for everyone to use. As I mentioned, in the original, the monster was stealing Enetron from a hospital.

Besides, it's Power Rangers, so literally anything they do will invite a monster attack.

Betty and Ben were okay here, though I don't think they need their own theme music.

They seem to have basically the same comedy music as Victor and Monty, which was derived from the original Bulk and Skull theme in MMPR.

Nate got some back story which was nice and unexpected. He has always wanted a family and now he is getting one with the Rangers.

When it comes to the backstories of teen geniuses who invent Ranger technology, it's hard to compete with Doctor K from RPM.

The Zord battle was really good. Usually I am bored with them but this one was creative and had a little bit of tension.

It helps, I think, that they've jumped back three years from Ninninger (Ninja Steel) to Go-Busters (this). In the ensuing seasons, the giant-robot battles have only gotten more garish, CGI-driven, cluttered, and silly. And Go-Busters did have pretty imaginative fight scenes compared to the usual routine, because having the normal-sized and giant monsters be two different entities allowed for more variety.

Still no MegaZord formation which is odd but I'm not complaining. The individual Zords look great and I have no problem with them being featured more.

As I mentioned, this took its battle footage from GB episode 3. The combined Go-Buster Oh didn't debut until episode 6.

Zoey's mom is the reporter. I think this is one of the few PR seasons where we have seen all the Rangers with parents. They either aren't mentioned or only one or two Rangers are seen with their parents.

Interesting point.

Facebook Author Page

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:58 PM

Digital Deception

This was yet another good episode. Beast Morphers continues to impress.

It makes sense that Roxy would use Ravi's feelings for her against him. Her plan was smart and well executed. She almost succeeded in turning Ravi evil before the other Rangers saved the day.

Having Roxy try to win over Ravi this early in the season makes sense. Roxy has only gone up against the Rangers once so her villainy hasn't been as apparent as Blaze's. I think anyone in Ravi's position would hope that there would be good buried somewhere in a loved one's evil avatar.

Nate has a crush on Zoey. I figured that was who he had to be buying the flowers for. There isn't any other character it could have been unless they were going to introduce someone new. Zoey is the only female character for Nate to crush on. I didn't think Hasbro would be pushing to have a gay character so it was unlikely Nate would have a crush on one of the male characters.

The scene where Commander Shaw said that Nate had to have a buddy at all times was sad because you could tell Nate was embarrassed and he kept glancing over at Zoey.

The fight scenes have been really good so far. Better than what we have gotten in a long time.

The Zord fight was amazing once again. I loved how it was Ravi and Zoey fighting the monster on the ground while Devon fought the Gigadrone. The final shot of the Rangers defeating the villains was beautiful.

In some ways this reminded me of "All About Beevil" which is a compliment since I love that episode.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 04 April 2019 - 09:58 PM, said:

Digital Deception

This was yet another good episode. Beast Morphers continues to impress.

A decent character-driven story. Not bad for Power Rangers these days, but disappointing in that it seemed to reaffirm the one-dimensional "pure evil" nature of the avatars. It'd make for more interesting stories if they really did have some ambiguity and some chance of redemption, as often happens with Super Sentai or Kamen Rider villains. The episode also suffered from the fact that Jasmeet Baduwalia (Ravi) is still the weakest actor in the cast.

Nate has a crush on Zoey. I figured that was who he had to be buying the flowers for. There isn't any other character it could have been unless they were going to introduce someone new. Zoey is the only female character for Nate to crush on. I didn't think Hasbro would be pushing to have a gay character so it was unlikely Nate would have a crush on one of the male characters.

You're forgetting Betty, the comic-relief guard. And the commander, of course, though she's way too old for Nate.

The Zord fight was amazing once again. I loved how it was Ravi and Zoey fighting the monster on the ground while Devon fought the Gigadrone. The final shot of the Rangers defeating the villains was beautiful.

They're still going backward through Go-Busters monsters; in this episode, the footage came from the very first episode of that series, and it highlights its novel take on the usual human-sized/giant monster dynamic, with the Rangers split up to fight both monsters at once and defeat them simultaneously.

Facebook Author Page

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:53 AM

Beast Morphers: "Taking Care of Business" was a fairly good episode getting into Devin's tensions with his father again, as Mayor Dad tries to get him a job and his secret Ranger business gets in the way, reaffirming his dad's belief that he's irresponsible. At one point, when the Mayor was watching the Ranger battle, I thought they were heading for a Timeranger/Time Force-like reveal of the Red Ranger's identity to his disapproving father, but instead they ended on an ambiguous note. Anyway, the plot continuity is nice, with the story revolving around the aftermath of previous battles and evidently setting up future developments.

Speaking of parents, they explained how Ben & Betty keep their jobs despite their constant bungling -- their dad is the general in charge of the place.

The Sentai footage and monsters this week were from episode 4 of Go-Busters, and the capture of the intact MegaZord Gamma (GigaDrone Gamma here) led into the debut of the combined mecha Go-Buster Oh in episode 6, so I bet Beast Morphers is setting that up for next week (which will also be episode 6). They made a couple of changes, like having the monster based on a circular saw instead of a pizza cutter, and editing out the bit in the MegaZord battle where the cutting blade dug into Go-Buster Ace's cockpit and imperiled the Red Ranger. Still, the action footage is pretty impressive, a reminder of how novel and unconventional the action in Go-Busters could be. Hasbro made a good choice going back to it.

By the way, speaking of GB's novelty, I've been talking about how unusual it was to have the the giant evil robots active alongside and in parallel to the human-sized robots/monsters, rather than being the same monsters grown to giant size. But I've learned that that's actually how it was done in the very first Super Sentai season with a giant robot, Battle Fever J in 1979-80 (the third Sentai series overall). The human sized monsters there had identical giant-robot counterparts that they called their "little brothers" (or sisters).

Facebook Author Page

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:33 AM

"Hangar Heist" is episode 6, and it's a pretty close adaptation of the plot and character arcs of Go-Busters episode 6 -- a MegaZord fusion simulation failing because Red won't listen to advice, a captured enemy robot running amok and leading to the first successful fusion -- with the main addition of the model-rocket subplot to set up the Devon/Ravi tension and give Ben & Betty something silly to do, plus the location change to a remote hangar and the involvement of all three main villains. It works pretty well; even though the Red/Blue conflict is adapted from GB, it fits Devon's and Ravi's established characters perfectly.

The robot head Scrozzle stole is the partial head of Beet J. Stag aka Stag Buster, the BuddyRoid partner of the fourth Go-Buster Masato Jin/Beet Buster. ("Beet" being short for "Beetle" -- Stag Buster is based on the Japanese stag beetle or kuwagata, while Beet Buster is based on the kabuto or rhinoceros beetle. A number of Kamen Rider characters have also been based on those beetles, notably Kamen Rider Kuuga and Kamen Rider Kabuto). Looks like they're going to introduce his counterpart as an evil robot before he switches sides, even though the original character was not introduced as an adversary.

Facebook Author Page

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:31 AM

Beast Morphers: "A Friend Indeed" gave the Beast Bots some overdue development. It was a fairly nice story about the Rangers taking the Bots for granted and having to learn to appreciate them with all their personality quirks, but it would've worked better if previous episodes had done more to develop the Beast Bots, rather than just presuming prior relationships that we didn't really see much of until this episode.

The monster and stock footage here (episode 7) came from Go-Busters episode 7, but unlike last week, the stories don't have much in common. That episode was about a clash between Red Buster and a clumsy novice mechanic assigned to maintain his giant robot, and the train-themed robot was stealing Enetron power from the city's wiring systems (since it was based on the kind of electric train that's powered by overhead wires, something that didn't come through in the adaptation).

Facebook Author Page

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,232 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

I felt the same way about this latest episode that you did, Christopher. I was glad to see focus on the Beast Bots but it would have worked better had they actually done something in previous episodes. This is why I wish Ben and Betty didn't exist. The Beast Bots can do the comedy routine bit without the need for a wacky comedic duo.

I'm assuming Nate is going to build a Beast Bot for himself since he has dropped hints about wanting a brother to hang out with and care for him.

Beast Morphers has been better than I was expecting, which is nice. I actually look forward to new episodes, unlike with the last few seasons. It's just too bad Hasbro didn't get its hands on the show for the 25th anniversary. I bet they would have given us a much better episode than what we did get. Well, here's hoping for the 30th.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,842 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:31 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 22 April 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

This is why I wish Ben and Betty didn't exist. The Beast Bots can do the comedy routine bit without the need for a wacky comedic duo.

I think Ben & Betty are okay. They actually manage to be competent or helpful from time to time, which makes up for the rest.

It's just too bad Hasbro didn't get its hands on the show for the 25th anniversary. I bet they would have given us a much better episode than what we did get. Well, here's hoping for the 30th.

Ooh, I wonder if they'll borrow footage from the 4-part Super Sentai Strongest Battle crossover miniseries they just did in Japan, in which dozens of Ranger teams are brought together for a great tournament. That would just about line up if they go back to doing one series per year and follow this up with adaptations of ToQger, Zyuohger, Kyuranger, and Lupinranger VS Patranger, since the miniseries spanned the gap between LvP and the current Ryuusoulger. And it could be good for a Power Rangers anniversary, because its final boss is a new version of the final boss Dai-Satan from Zyuranger, aka Lokar from MMPR season 1 (although they don't look much alike).

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Power Rangers, Nickelodeon

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users