80 replies to this topic

#41 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 07:55 PM

^^^AutoRov for President?  :lol:  :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#42 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 08:39 PM

Zack-- I think the real story with that quote is that it pretty strongly indicates that Clark ignores the consensus of the vast majority of experts in the field.

The question I'd like somebody to ask Clark is this: Do you have faith-based ideas about other fields too? If, for instance, you have a tax plan and the vast majority of economists say it's a terrible idea, will you ignore their advice? Or will we leave that to the current administration?

/Who, me? Bitter?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#43 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 08:58 PM

Dev F, on Oct 1 2003, 07:35 PM, said:

But that statement is not really comparable to Limbaugh's, which in no way implied that blacks had x or y quality. All Limbaugh suggested is that the media might look at blacks differently because of their racial bias -- hardly an outrageous premise, whether or not it is correct in this particular case.
But, Dev, it's Rush Limbaugh, who all decent Americans are supposed to hate, lest they get pegged as reactionary, right-wing, country-music-loving hicks from the midwest.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#44 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 09:01 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 2 2003, 01:39 AM, said:

Zack-- I think the real story with that quote is that it pretty strongly indicates that Clark ignores the consensus of the vast majority of experts in the field.

I think the real story with the quote was the emphasis Clark puts on always striving to expand the boundaries of human knowledge.  He doesn't believe that what we know now will forever be the sum total of human knowledge, and has great faith in humanity and our ability to achieve our goals - no matter how breathtaking and ambitious they may appear at first glance.  :cool:

Banapis

#45 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 09:16 PM

Drew, on Oct 2 2003, 01:58 AM, said:

Dev F, on Oct 1 2003, 07:35 PM, said:

But that statement is not really comparable to Limbaugh's, which in no way implied that blacks had x or y quality. All Limbaugh suggested is that the media might look at blacks differently because of their racial bias -- hardly an outrageous premise, whether or not it is correct in this particular case.
But, Dev, it's Rush Limbaugh, who all decent Americans are supposed to hate, lest they get pegged as reactionary, right-wing, country-music-loving hicks from the midwest.  :cool:
Honestly, by this time tomorrow, being pegged as a racist is going to be the least of Rush's problems....

See   www.drudgereport.com
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#46 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 09:21 PM

Banapis-- Good point...

Zack-- :eek:. Talk about a bombshell....

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#47 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 11:14 PM

/////BREAKING NEWS/////

Limbaugh just resigned from ESPN.  Karl Ravech read his statement at a break in the Red Sox/A's game.

Banapis

#48 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 11:20 PM

http://msn.espn.go.c...01/1628537.html  <-- Article on what Banapis posted.

#49 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 11:51 PM

The question I'd like somebody to ask Clark is this: Do you have faith-based ideas about other fields too? If, for instance, you have a tax plan and the vast majority of economists say it's a terrible idea, will you ignore their advice? Or will we leave that to the current administration?

/Who, me? Bitter?
Well, Rov, here's Clark on the current tax plan (from an interview on the invaluable talkingpointsmemo.com)  I think you can rest easy...

No reputable economist stands up and says, "Trickle down economics really works." Because we know the marginal propensity to consume of people who are making $100,000 a year and less is much higher than the marginal propensity to consume of people who are making $350,000 a year and more.

Read the rest of the interview.  http://talkingpoints...ml#1001031244pm

It's good stuff, but makes me think the guy doesn't stand a chance.  He isn't good enough at pretending to be dumb to put the big chunk of America that distrusts book learnin' at ease.

Man, this has turned into three different threads in one, hasn't it?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#50 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 11:54 PM

Oh MY!!!

I must be careful for what I wish for.  :eek2:

WILD!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#51 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 01:04 AM

Drew, on Oct 1 2003, 08:58 PM, said:

But, Dev, it's Rush Limbaugh, who all decent Americans are supposed to hate, lest they get pegged as reactionary, right-wing, country-music-loving hicks from the midwest.  :cool:
Hey, I'm no fan of Rush Limbaugh myself. I just wish his opponents would challenge him on the basis of his actual weaknesses as a pundit or a thinker, instead of smearing him with trumped-up charges of racism when the worst he could be considered guilty of in this case is a mischaracterization.

It's the same reason I dislike Michael Moore so intensely, even though I happen to agree with many (though not all) of his left-leaning beliefs. People seem so willing to excuse slippery rhetoric when it's directed at their enemies by their allies. Me, I think it's more important that your allies be decent and honorable than your enemies!

--
Dev F

#52 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 02:11 AM

Dev F, on Oct 2 2003, 12:04 AM, said:

Me, I think it's more important that your allies be decent and honorable than your enemies!
I agree with you completely on that.

#53 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 04:49 AM

:wacko:

Either it's almost 3 in the morning or this thread has taken a turn for the Twilight Zone or....

;)

After twenty years or so, when he's good and done, I think we'll look back on Barry Bonds as the greatest player ever, even better than Ruth.

And on THAT we agree.

The reason that Rush's statememts were racist was that implication that those who overrated McNabb were doing so because of McNabb's skin color.

It doesn't get a hell of a lot clearer or simpler than that.

Lil
Posted Image

#54 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 08:21 AM

What I learned from this thread:

Saying that the media overrates you because of your skin color is racist.
Saying that the media underrates you because of your skin color is not racist.

What I also learned: this country will make no further progression on race issues until people start feeling free speak openly and honestly about race issues without fear of reprisals. This kind of thing has a chilling effect on necessary dialogue.

Edited by Drew, 02 October 2003 - 09:03 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#55 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 08:23 AM

MuseZack, on Oct 1 2003, 11:51 PM, said:

It's good stuff, but makes me think the guy doesn't stand a chance.  He isn't good enough at pretending to be dumb to put the big chunk of America that distrusts book learnin' at ease.
Zack just insulted a "big chunk" of America. Shall we force him to leave the board?

#56 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 08:30 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Oct 2 2003, 04:49 AM, said:

The reason that Rush's statememts were racist was that implication that those who overrated McNabb were doing so because of McNabb's skin color.

It doesn't get a hell of a lot clearer or simpler than that.

It must be because you were half-asleep when you made your post, but there is nothing inherently racist in that statement.

Would it be racist if Limbaugh had said that the media underrated McNabb because of his skin color?

Edited by Drew, 02 October 2003 - 09:14 AM.

#57 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:18 AM

MuseZack, on Oct 1 2003, 09:51 PM, said:

/Who, me? Bitter?
Well, Rov, here's Clark on the current tax plan (from an interview on the invaluable talkingpointsmemo.com)  I think you can rest easy...

No reputable economist stands up and says, "Trickle down economics really works." Because we know the marginal propensity to consume of people who are making $100,000 a year and less is much higher than the marginal propensity to consume of people who are making $350,000 a year and more.

Read the rest of the interview.  http://talkingpoints...ml#1001031244pm

It's good stuff, but makes me think the guy doesn't stand a chance.  He isn't good enough at pretending to be dumb to put the big chunk of America that distrusts book learnin' at ease.

Man, this has turned into three different threads in one, hasn't it?
Zack, it's an interesting link, thank you. Anybody have anthing that ties in specifically with his feelings on listening to experts? I understand if he ignores them some of the time, I just don't like the idea of it being a habit.

Now, as for this quote:

It's good stuff, but makes me think the guy doesn't stand a chance. He isn't good enough at pretending to be dumb to put the big chunk of America that distrusts book learnin' at ease.

I think that's a vast oversimplification. I'm going off of instinct here because I haven't seen any polls, but I think most people thought Clinton was a pretty smart guy, and he was hugely popular. Same thing for Regean, at least looking in retrospect. Many of the same people who fear Clark call him a genuis. So, it's clear that there's far more to the story than that.

It's not about intelligence; it's about attitude.

The most recent example I can think of would be Bustamente talking down to everybody else in the debate by constantly telling them that they don't understand, that they don't realize how it works. When he said that to those four other candidates, the implication was that only he could. His polling dropped rather quickly post-debate; by the latest numbers, he may well come in third.

There was also still the same stigma on Al Gore (who also did a terrible job defending himself from unfair complaints).

What a huge chunk of America-- including myself-- resents is being talked down to by politicians. They need us; we don't need them.

#58 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:26 AM

^NOT.

Until people like you and I volunteer to help in the governance of this country (and I don't know about you, but I ain't volunteering :p), then we need the politicians every bit as much as they need us.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#59 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:29 AM

A "big chunk" of American is okay with being smart. What they're not okay with is the attitude "Hush, child, I know better than you." And that attitude is quite common in Washington (and Hollywood, too, come to think of it).

#60 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:39 AM

True; I should have been more clear.

posted by Rhea:

"The politicians who talk down to us need us a lot more than we need them" would have been better. Because politicians are like roaches: You never really run out. I'm no anarchist.

Drew-- Bingo. Oh, and another guy who's hugely popular and perceived as very smart: Dennis Miller. Powell, too.

EDIT: Vis a vis the original quote, I realize now I may agree with it. If we take sixteen ounces from a cow that weighs hundreds of pounds, we still call it a huge steak. While significiant in its own rite, it's a teensy portion of the larger whole. 1% of Americans still qualifies as a huge chunk, just because there's so dang many of us.

However, given that the comment said that it led to Clark's unelectability, I doubt that was the intention....

Edited by John Burke, 02 October 2003 - 10:38 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elections, 2004, Democrats, Wesley Clark, Limbaugh

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users