Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - S2, E8: "If Memory Serves"...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

Spock and Burnham head to Talos IV, where the process of healing Spock forces the siblings to confront their troubled past. Stamets desperately tries to reconnect with an increasingly disconnected Hugh, while Tyler struggles to shed the crew's suspicions of him due to his past as Voq.

#2 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

This was a great episode, and had a LOT going on.  Some big things, and some little easter eggs.

I LOVED the 'Previously On STAR TREK' montage of "THE CAGE"! I love the updated look of the plants on Talos IV, and the Talosians, as well.  They remind me of the Tenctonese from ALIEN NATION.  Could they have been inspired by STAR TREK, and this version in turn seem a more realized Talosian by sort of fusing them with Tenctonese?

Hugh is definitely a changed man.  I like how this series is not treating coming back from the dead like just another day at the office.

It seems clear that the AI that inhabits Airiam is a bad guy.  I wonder exactly what it is?

The exchange between Burnham and Spock puts a line of dialogue from the series in a different light... "Vulcan has no moon, Ms. Uhura."  Despite it being true, it definitely casts some new undertones with that line, particularly since there were several times across the early part of STAR TREK where it seems something was there between Spock and Uhura.

It seems to me that Talos was restricted but did not have the death penalty attached to it by this time.  I think Georgiou has something to do with that... she gets a bigger foothold or control of Section 31 and gets Starfleet to attach the ONLY death penalty on the books for going to Talos IV.  In that sense, making Section 31 a part of original series history.

For me, this was a homerun episode.  Great pace and characterization, pieces coming together, tense moments throughout.  I have been thoroughly, thoroughly impressed with this season.  Everything I was hoping for with a second season is happening... longer episodes, bridge officers/secondary characters getting more time to shine, a sense of adventure, more humor, and as a bonus, a more likeable captain with Pike.  I enjoyed Lorca, but I am loving Anson Mount's Captain Pike.  And seeing him here, I feel like he was severely underused when he was on INHUMANS.

I find myself feeling like a kid again waiting for the next new episode.  I didn't feel this level of anticipation with season one.

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 08 March 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

I LOVED the 'Previously On STAR TREK' montage of "THE CAGE"! I love the updated look of the plants on Talos IV, and the Talosians, as well.  They remind me of the Tenctonese from ALIEN NATION.  Could they have been inspired by STAR TREK, and this version in turn seem a more realized Talosian by sort of fusing them with Tenctonese?

No. Bald, big-headed aliens have been a staple of sci-fi since long before "The Cage" and have continued to be long after it. Those are very, very, very far from being the only two examples.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

I know that particular trope has been used a lot, more often in older scifi.  But for some reason, ALIEN NATION came to mind in this instance.  Just some out loud thinking that might have sounded more like giving off a theory now that I reread that quote.

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

Poor Stamets, he miraculously gets his true love back but Culber can't feel anything for him. This reminds me of several TOS episodes that warn immortality achieved by downloading your consciousness into an android body wouldn't be the same as finite life in your own. Dr. Corby in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" for one.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users