• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

Heh . . . well, I'm suddenly persona non grata to a fellow collector of antique brasswinds. That's what I get for restoring and polishing an 1845 F coil valve trombone.

"Don't you realise it took 173 years to develop that patina???"

"About time someone cleaned the damned thing," I shot back. "If it were up to me, I'd restore the Colosseum, too."

I personally think people who like unrestored antiques and ruins are morons, but, well, c'est la vie.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

Out of curiosity, do you play antique brasswinds?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:04 PM

View PostG-man, on 30 March 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, do you play antique brasswinds?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Heh- I try to: ophicleides, quinticlaves, natural flugelhorns, horns, trumpets, you name it. I have a big collection of 19th century brass.

#4 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

It's your bone. Only if the seller made it a stipulation of the sale that you not restore it...do as you will.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#5 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:27 PM

In my view it's a musical instrument, and musical instruments are supposed to be played. In order to do that, they must be properly maintained.

I played It a few years ago for a fellow who wasn't thrilled with the restoration. "Doesn't make it seem so old somehow," he said disappointedly. "Like it was made and played yesterday."

"You're enamoured by an illusion," I told him. So was Hitler and his followers."

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users