• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

In the aftermath of an overwhelming loss, the communities must brave a ferocious blizzard; as one group deals with an enemy from within, another is forced to make a life or death decision.  

The Season Finale!

We've never seen a blizzard before on Walking Dead.  I wonder if they've had weather like this before during the time jump.  Maybe the collapse of civilization has reversed the effects of global warming and things are cooling off.  I would imagine that cold and wintry weather would help with the Zombies, aside from the visibility factor-- and it can't be very good for the Whisperers.

In other news, the new season of Fear The Walking Dead will begin on June 2nd.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#2 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:06 AM

Was that Rick's voice on the radio in the last scene?

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:17 AM

I wonder if FEAR THE WALKING DEAD will air straight through until season 10 of THE WALKING DEAD starts, which is almost certainly going to be in October like usual.  Having a June 2 season 5 premiere would fit with that schedule, with a couple weeks break in between for 7/4, Labor Day, and other things equaling that.

#4 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

No, that was a woman's voice.

I have one question... where do the Whisperers go during winter?  Staying out in the open is obviously not good enough to keep them warm.  Even during less harsh winters, how do they survive?

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

Well, that was a very different look at the Zombie Apocalypse. I've always wanted to see the Zombie Apocalypse in the dead of Winter, so this was kind of fun. I loved seeing the frozen Zombies get knocked into frozen chunks.  I couldn't quite figure out why some were frozen and some weren't, but the Zombies rising up out of the snowbanks was a cool visual.  This season of Walking Dead has certainly expanded the show's repertoire of atmosphere and settings, from spooky graveyards to blizzards. It's kind of odd that we've never seen weather like this before, even though the dialogue suggested that it's happened before, just not so early in the season.  Perhaps ten years of the Apocalypse has reversed global warming and Winters are growing more harsh.

It was also a different sort of finale, luckily, since the penultimate episode was so gruesome.  But most of this was Man versus Nature, rather than Man versus Man or Man versus Zombie. But I'm happy with a finale that includes Daryl in a snowball fight with a bunch of kids. And along the way we got to see Carol save Lydia from herself a couple of times, and Negan save Judith (and dog); whatever else goes on in his psychotic mind, he seems to have transferred his affection for Carl to her and was willing to risk his life for her. Unfortunately, we also got to see a rift develop between Carol and Ezekiel-- hopefully that is not permanent.  Nor should the fall of the Kingdom be permanent, especially now with a formal alliance between the communities.

And it seems we have a new player on the horizon if that crackly voice on the radio is any indication.  At first I thought it might be Jaydis, but why would she be asking if anyone is out there?  It seems more likely to be some new complication.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 02 April 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

No, that was a woman's voice.

I have one question... where do the Whisperers go during winter?  Staying out in the open is obviously not good enough to keep them warm.  Even during less harsh winters, how do they survive?

Oh okay.  It happened so fast and I was too tired to rewind and listen again.  Maybe it's Maggie?

I was wondering the same thing about the Whisperers.

I even thought that the show screwed up because if you go back and look at the scene where Alpha is getting ready to have her arms whipped by Beta you will notice that the surroundings are all lush and green.  No snow at all.

#7 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:44 PM

I was thinking that, as well.  The only thing I can think of is one of them, Alpha or Beta, said it was good to be away.  Maybe they went somewhere a little less harsh, and that scene was another time jump to past winter.

With all the time jumps that happened this season, season 9 will be known as "Season Time".

Edited by FarscapeOne, 02 April 2019 - 10:45 PM.

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:32 PM

At the beginning, it was implied that quite a bit of time had passed since the killings, maybe weeks or months-- at the end it was implied that Winter had passed, meaning another jump of about six months.  We had a year-and-a-half time jump at the start of the season, then a six-year jump after Rick was blown up and whisked away, so that's a total time passage of well over eight years.  This has to be the longest season of any TV show in history.  :lol:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users