Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Oh, yeah . . . that's why I hate the book biz.

McNally Robinson Barnes & Noble

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

. . . so I paid around $300 to get 25 books printed. Another $50 to get my books in McNally's Broken Potato Chip Factory Bookstore. NcNally sells my books for around $20 each. So good so far.

That's $500, in my book.

The deal with McNally is that they split the earnings. I got $250, they got $250.

Hold on thar . . . that can't be right! I spent $350, I made $250.

This is what happened the last time I tried to market my book. It ended up costing me money.

I've tried going with Barnes 'n' Noble, but they throw up roadblocks such as, you have to be a company with numbers that go with being a company.

I'd say what I think, but I'd get bleeped.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

H'm . . . turns out it's not just me:

https://sellercentra...k-i-sell/188991

https://www.theguard...ublisher-losses

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:55 PM

Oh, yeah . . . the roadblock with Barnes 'n' Ignoble is that their information about things Canadian is wrong. For example, they want a long routing number. In fact, they try to tell you how many digits it will be. They are wrong. My routing number is a paltry three digits.

The transit number they ask for is a long string of letters and numbers. No such thing where my institution is concerned. It's just a few digits, and it's all numbers.

Now, Cow Barnes and Ignoble always promises to get back to you within 24 hours (as does McNally's Potato Chip Factory Books).

I have yet to hear back from either disorganisation. I contact them for help, I never hear back from them.

So their customer service and their setup stinks. It's like trying to deal with a dead skunk. It stinks to high heaven, but you have no choice but to try to deal with the filthy thing if you want your books in their stores.

And so it goes.

#4 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

H'm . . . this certainly doesn't help:

https://money.cnn.co...azon/index.html

I find it amusing that the money buggers are always claiming that CEO's are "the best and brightest". The truth is that the best and brightest, in the real world, are never motivated by money.

#5 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:09 AM

There is only one way to deal with corporations that ignore you, go public.
If they have a facebook site or any other public forum, hit them politely between the eyes there.
Watch them jump to attention!

Works for me.

You might be better off to go digital with your books?
Most people today do not want dust collectors unless they are rare volumes that need to be insured.
When you garner a fallowing, you can offer signed hard covers at a premium price.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:39 PM

Digital? You're joking, right?

The only money to be made is still in the print medium.

I have a huge on-line following of around 250,000. Turning that into book sales is the problem. The problem is getting print books into bookstores. They put up roadblocks everywhere.

#7 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

I wasn't joking about offering your 250,000 fans signed copies.
You don't need a book stores if you get a small business card from Canada Post.
They have snap ship now and will pick up. (do not mail in the application that takes months, do it on line.)

I know it's hard to go business when your high on the creativity ladder but what have you got to lose?
You can even list 50 a month free on eBay, only pay the final value fees and paypal if you use it.
Nice that eBay now allows bank transfers. I think there might be some quid pro quo until you reach a certain sales level, but they let some scammer sell me a bed without being verified at Paypal. Took months to get my money back.

BTW don't list your book in books there is a shipping cap in the States. List it in a relative category to the subject matter.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users