#1 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 06:48 PM

Is here.  

http://www.washingto...-2003Sep30.html

Draw your own conclusions about him.  As far as I can tell, the guy is...

a:  a Democrat, but not a very partisan one, who's worked well for both Republican and Democratic administrations.

b: a bit of a showman, and from a more bohemian background than most career State Department guys.

c: eminently qualified to look into a connection between Iraq and uranium mining in sub-Saharan Africa.

d: a bonafide hero when it comes to his conduct in Iraq in 1990 and 1991.

e:  the wrong guy to f--- with by going after his wife.

But again, that's just my read.  YMMV.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 12:26 PM

He's a very interesting guy who's worked for Presidents on both side of the divide, not some wild-eyed left winger. I already knew that, but it made for fascinating reading.

Thanks, Zack.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 10:17 AM

Even more interesting is this interview with Wilson from 2002 where he talks about his encounters with Saddam Hussein.  Read this and tell me Wilson didn't make the most accurate prediction of how this war would unfold.

Wilson is doubtful that Saddam will fall at the hands of disloyal cohorts, saying that the Iraqi dictatorship has a do-or-die rationale. "They're all in the same boat," he explains. "They understand that they're going to 'hang together' or they're going to hang together."

To Wilson, it seems equally unlikely that, in the event that his regime were toppled, Saddam would flee Iraq for life in exile. He might instead take heart from the apparent examples of Osama bin Laden and Mullah Omar, and go underground closer to home, Wilson believes. "We ought to be operating on the assumption that we're not going to find him," he cautions, adding, "He is a survivalist."

Wilson also warns that the Iraqi leader's popularity could revive if allied troops occupied Iraq: "We have to operate on the assumption that six months into this occupation of Iraq, the Iraqis may well be disenchanted with having the United States as their so-called 'liberators.' And Saddam may actually become much more popular for them than he is currently.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 01:00 PM

Absolutely fascinating. Of course, there were a lot of statements made by State Dept. folks before the invasion saying that we needed a better plan for afterwards. Trouble is, Rumsfeld prevailed all the way along (fewer men initially than Franks requested, no real plan for occupation). If they had listened to some of their own experts, Wilson included, we'd be a lot better off.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plame Case, Joe Wilson, Biography, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users