• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,045 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

A young acquaintance of mine is mad at me for calling him a lout.

Here is why I called him a lout: he doesn't know grammar.

Why does not knowing grammar make a person a lout?

Simple. If you don't know grammar, you can't parse a sentence. If you can't parse a sentence, you can't properly conduct critical thinking, aka Logic. If you can't create a sentence using the tools of Logic, you can't reason. If you can't reason, you're a lout, plain and simple.

Back in the early 70's the textbook for Logic (aka "critical thinking") was a little blue and grey book titled Logic. The first example in the book, of something that seems logical to the layman, but isn't, is, "Hugo insulted me, so I punched him on the nose."

This was the example I had used, which my young acquaintance was unable to comprehend as being flawed reasoning (he's always talking about getting into fights when he plays hockey).

Unable to comprehend. Think about that a moment. Because he lacks grammar, and therefore Logic, he is unable to grasp that his behaviour is unacceptable.

Lots of people get ticked off when it is pointed out that they're a lout. What they fail to understand is that loutishness is the very source of their anger.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users