The Union will continue

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Variety has announced FOX's  "The Orville" has been renewed for a third season.  

https://variety.com/...fox-1203188078/

To hold fans over until season 3 premieres, David Goodman, one of the show's writers and producers, is currently writing a series of "The Orville" comic books which will be published by Dark Horse starting in July.  The comics are set in the interval in between seasons 1 and 2 and will be considered semi-official and canonical until, of course, such time as the writers of the TV show come up with contradictory storylines they like better.

https://109.gizmodo....book-1833140121

Edited by Jorgasnarova, 12 May 2019 - 02:38 PM.

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

This is great news.  I actually had a feeling that it would be renewed, but that didn't stop me from worrying.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

I am very happy this has happened!  THE ORVILLE for many years!

#4 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

Yay!  I've been fretting about this one.  The suggestions over in the Reviews thread that it may have hinged on whether MacFarlane wanted to continue was worrying to me, given how the audience has no control or ability to gauge that.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:56 PM

I'm pretty sure Orville is a labor of love for him, so I wasn't worried about that.  Mostly I was worried about the expense of the show, and if it was even possible for them to make money with it.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

With the tax breaks, it helps offset the cost.  I was expecting a renewal because of it, but was worried it was taking so long.

#7 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:26 PM

THE ORVILLE is a very expensive and time consuming show requiring extensive pre and post production.  You can have it cheap, fast, or good, pick one of the above, as the saying goes.  It says a lot about FOX's confidence in Seth MacFarlane and the show's fanbase that they were willing to give MacFarlane the time and money to make season two the way he wanted.  However, the one year interval between the season one finale and the season two opener probably didn't help overall ratings, which were down from last year.  I suspect this caused a lot of season one viewers to surmise the show had been cancelled.

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

And we'll have a good long wait for season three, too.  It's like Doctor Who:  They don't really need to spend so much time and money on special effects, when the appeal of the show is in the writing and the cast.

#9 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:37 PM

THE ORVILLE episode "Identity, Part Two" has received an Emmy nomination for best visual effects.  Speaking on Twitter, Seth MacFarlane praised the visual effects crew, pointing out their work was all the more impressive since, as a broadcast show, THE ORVILLE's visual effects budget was smaller than its competitors.

#10 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:42 PM

"The Orville: New Beginnings," the first issue of the four-issue comic book series from Dark Horse written by THE ORVILLE producer and scriptwriter David A. Goodman, is now out in the shops.  It is also available in an e-book edition from Comixology and Amazon.

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

Oh, yeah, there it is in my Kindle.  I love how you can pre-order things and they just magically appear.  :lol:

The art looks pretty good.  The characters look very accurate, which is rare for these adaptations.

#12 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

Writer Anthony Pascale at Trekmovie.com reports THE ORVILLE panel at the San Diego Comic Con has announced THE ORVILLE Season 3, tentatively premiering in the fall of 2020, will NOT be seen on FOX.  The show is moving to the subscription streaming service HULU.  The Twitter page for HULU confirms this.  Seth MacFarlane says this is a good thing, as it opens up much more of what the show can do creatively.

Considering THE ORVILLE's not-terrific ratings, I was anticipating season 3 on FOX to be its last.  Now with the resources of HULU behind it the program's longevity may just have gotten a very big boost.

Edited by Jorgasnarova, 20 July 2019 - 05:52 PM.

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:52 PM

The move to Hulu is a good thing, I think. No worries about network censorship and better odds of continuing beyond season three.

But late 2020?  Geez....

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

I'm glad The Orville is renewed and is now on Hulu which hopefully means it will last a few more seasons but that is a long wait for season 3.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

I know. It's more like a revival than a third season.  :lol:

#16 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:33 PM

The Orville Wright show gets me watching sometimes, but not always. It almost hits all the right buttons.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#17 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:27 PM

Eaglemoss, the U.K. based collectibles company that makes all of those marvelously detailed miniatures of Star Trek spacecraft, has announced they will be doing a run of starships from The Orville.

Hmmm...I wrote Eaglemoss during season one of The Orville and asked them to consider doing an Orville line...they responded saying they would definitely think about it.  Clearly I must not have been the only one to have sent them that request.

Edited by Jorgasnarova, 01 September 2019 - 02:27 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users