22 replies to this topic

#1 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

Looks like we have a trailer for the Star Trek:  Picard series already:

It does look good, but I'm having a hard time with it being connected to JJ Trek.  I guess the one saving grace so far is that it really seems to be the opposite of JJ Trek.  Whereas in JJ Trek, the characters were all heartless automatons that shrugged off the destruction of Vulcan with a wink and a smile, here we have a real human being who was devastated by the destruction of an inhabited world.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 23 May 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

It does look good, but I'm having a hard time with it being connected to JJ Trek.

Trek is Trek. It has its ups and downs. Some parts work better than others. But it's all one conceptual whole, and even the less successful parts can spawn good stories. For instance, I despise "Miri" and its stupid, random Earth-duplicate planet that's never explained, but when I was writing DTI: Forgotten History, I realized I could use "Miri"'s concepts to generate the alternate-reality story I wanted to tell. Analogously, look at the good work that Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Rebels did with characters and ideas that were handled much worse in the prequel trilogy, e.g. actually giving Darth Maul a personality. If you put up impassable walls between the parts of a franchise, you reject the possibility that a weak part can be redeemed.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:55 PM

Amazon Original?   Isn't this a CBS All Access title?
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#4 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:19 AM

View PostNiko, on 23 May 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

"Star Trek on CBS All Access"
According to the man himself https://www.facebook...patrickstewart/
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:00 AM

View PostNiko, on 23 May 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

Yes, in the US, and on the Crave network in Canada. But internationally it's on Amazon Prime.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#6 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

It'll also be airing on Space in Canada, like a real TV show.

;)
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#7 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

Meaty Comic-con trailer giving us a look at what it's going to be about:

It looks like Picard's going to be going off-book a bit to work with some rogue-ier elements to protect this girl?  The casting of Santiago Cabrera and Michelle Hurd were two big pluses for me.  I like the glimpses we get of them in this.

The dismembered Data stored in a drawer is kinda creepy.

I'm more excited than I thought I'd be to see Seven of Nine again and find out what she's been up to.

Edited by Niko, 21 July 2019 - 02:04 PM.

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:46 AM

Data's face looks really weird. Did they put a young-Data prosthetic mask on Brent Spiner? It doesn't look like digital de-aging.

On the other hand, Jeri Ryan looks ageless.

Facebook Author Page

#9 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

I was already excited to see the show, but adding Data has me beyond thrilled.

As a kid, Data was the reason I became a science fiction fan.  I was so massively pissed when he was killed in NEMESIS.  Finding a way to bring bim back... my inner child cried tears of joy.

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:51 PM

I lost interest in this when they connected it to JJ Trek, but there's a lot to be excited about here. No mention of Romulus being destroyed at all-- Picard's personal crisis seems to be the result of Data's death.  The poker scene is obviously a holodeck program, but if part of the plot here is to bring Data back, I will be quite happy.

The main plot seems to revolve around Picard's history as Locutus.  We've got one character saying that she feels safe with him (and she seems to have a scar on her head) and another saying that she remembers who he really is-- I assume they must be liberated drones.  Maybe Seven has been out there freeing the Borg.  It would be funny if my Borg plot was actually the backstory here.

I flipped out when I saw Seven.  I didn't expect that at all.  I wonder if she just has a cameo or if she will play a major role.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#11 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

I heard Jonathan del Arco, who played Hugh, is appearing.  Looks like it may be about freed drones, given Seven's appearance.

#12 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

That was better than I was expecting. I freaked out when I saw Seven. That was a big surprise.

I had a pretty big smile on my face when Picard said engage.

I shouldn't be too surprised that the Borg will play a role in this new series, even if it is just a small one.

This seems like it will be the death knell for the current Treklit books. I'm not one of those doom and gloomers about it but I do hope we get at least some kind of closure on the current story lines. While it will be sad to see this continuity gone it will be exciting to see what comes next.

I do hope the Enterprise novels continue, though. This series shouldn't impact that one at all.

As a kid, Data was the reason I became a science fiction fan.  I was so massively pissed when he was killed in NEMESIS.  Finding a way to bring bim back... my inner child cried tears of joy.

I will definitely be excited if they bring Data back in some way though it was Wesley that got me to watch TNG. There was a time that if I didn't see Wesley in the opening credits I didn't watch the episode.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:26 PM

I heard that Hugh would be in it.  It definitely seems like there are liberated Drones who see Picard as their guru.  Which is a pretty cool idea.

#14 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:31 PM

Does Abrams have anything to do with it directly? If he does, I'll pass.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:07 PM

Not JJ, just his boy Alex Kurtzman.

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:55 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 23 July 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

Not JJ, just his boy Alex Kurtzman.

Kurtzman runs his own successful production company now; he's nobody's "boy." He left Abrams's Bad Robot and co-founded his own company a full 10 years ago, and the only thing he's collaborated on with Abrams since 2009 has been Star Trek Into Darkness (and Fringe in a consulting capacity, since Kurtzman & Orci co-created the show). They haven't worked on anything together in six years.

Facebook Author Page

#17 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

Star Trek Into Darkness stank to high heaven. Fringe was another clunker.

#18 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

The trailer has been pulled by Access itself. Has the series been pulled?

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

I doubt that, with principal photography finished and millions invested, plus the fact that it's the only project that anyone is excited about.  They're probably just preparing a new trailer.

#20 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

Yup, preparing a new trailer it is:

Looks like Picard is not the only one who retired and went home.  I'm guessing that's Alaska.  And we have an old-school Romulan warbird in there, which bodes well for ship designs.  Unfortunately, a lot of the sets still look fashionably dark, but most of it looks pretty encouraging (although Data looks more off in this one).

The main thing that is cause for worry is the exchange between Picard and the Admiral.  I really don't want another "Federation has lost its way" story.

And we have a release date:  January 23, 2020.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users