10 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:32 PM

I have been so looking forward to this!  :insanosmile:

So, a few months ago, Amazon started showing promos for this new series.  And I was fascinated!  It looked like so much fun!  Then I discovered it was based on a book, one that I was not familiar with before then.  So I promptly took the audiobook out of the library, and finished in plenty of time before watching the series!  

The book was a blast, and I have been eagerly looking forward to watching the series, especially knowing that Neil Gaiman is writer and show runner for the series.  :cool:

Here is the teaser, and the trailer:

So, who’s watching?  :D

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:55 PM

So far, I have watched two and a half episodes, and it is perfect! :D

Many of the scenes are the same as the book, word for word.  (As they should be.)  And then there are some lovely scenes added, showing events that were only suggested or implied in the book.  I particularly like the added scenes showing Aziraphale and Crowley through history, as their friendship develops.  :nod:

They are having lots of fun inventing creative visual details to bring this world to life, and I keep spotting little things that have meaning based on my knowledge from the book.

Perfect detail having the actual narrator be God (and female).  :cool:  

One of my favorite lines from the book is this:

Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men.

So I was waiting for it to show up here.  And it was even more perfect, being said by a woman (God) ! :lol:

And the casting is too perfect!  Having seen the promos before reading the book, it was impossible not to picture David Tennant from the start, he just IS Crowley!  :cool: :devil:  And Michael Sheen is great as Aziraphale, quirky and adorable.  :) :angelnot:

I had to laugh at David Tennant, standing in the Globe Theatre, promising to make Hamlet a hit, LOL!  :lol:  ;)

(Side note though, I didn't know it was possible for David Tennant to get even skinnier than when he was the Doctor.  But he did!)  :oh:

SFG :devil:  :angelnot:  :clap:

edit: oops, posted before finishing. :hehe:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 03 June 2019 - 06:02 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,601 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:22 PM

I'll probably watch it.  I didn't realize it was available yet.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 03 June 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men.

So I was waiting for it to show up here.  And it was even more perfect, being said by a woman (God) ! :lol:  
Apparently God is Catholic.   :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:28 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 03 June 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

Apparently God is Catholic.   :lol:

:think:  I think that one went over my head.  ??

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,601 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Oh, that's the sort of thing I used to hear from my Mother and Uncles back in the day.  I suppose it could be any religion, really.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:36 AM

Loved it.  Great translation of the book to screen, for sure.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the David Tennant casting originally - he doesn't fit "my" version of Crowley at all - but he turned out to be great.  The amount of screen time that he had to sell the acting while having his eyes completely blocked out by dark glasses was truly impressive.  :)  I also really enjoyed the new glimpses at what he and Aziraphale had been doing over the years - I'm a sucker for friendship-centered stories, and Crowley/Aziraphale are classics, so I'm glad they gave that relationship its due.  Jon Hamm's Gabriel was a fun addition, too.

I'm not sure whether I liked the narration or not.  I get that it gives them a way to deliver some of the funniest lines that would've been too clunky to work into dialogue, but it felt off for me somehow.  I felt like it was lacking context or something...  If it was God doing the narrating, it seemed like there should have been a bit more "personality" coming through?  If all of this stuff going on was tied into God's "ineffable plan", I'd expect more direct commentary on the proceedings or something?

I liked that they never specifically explained the reason for all the Queen songs (unless I missed it somewhere?)  I don't think the joke feels very specific to the era of cassette tapes, somehow.  It would've felt like straining too hard to adjust it for CD's, and wouldn't have improved much on how dated the joke is in this era of Pandora and iTunes.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,601 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

It just occurred to me:  I wonder if Supernatural's Crowley is a nod to this character.

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

This is definitely on my to watch list. I'm hoping to start it this week.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:38 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 04 June 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

It just occurred to me:  I wonder if Supernatural's Crowley is a nod to this character.

I would assume they were both named in reference to the occultist Aleister Crowley, who's inspired numerous characters in popular culture.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#10 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

I had not read the book, and this is not my type of story at all, but the leads were so perfect I fell in love with it immediately. The Apocalypse story wasn't very convincing but who cared with these delicious fellows and the arch dialogue.

Several times I did think, "Just kiss him already!"
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#11 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:26 PM

View PostNiko, on 04 June 2019 - 12:36 AM, said:

I liked that they never specifically explained the reason for all the Queen songs (unless I missed it somewhere?)  I don't think the joke feels very specific to the era of cassette tapes, somehow.  It would've felt like straining too hard to adjust it for CD's, and wouldn't have improved much on how dated the joke is in this era of Pandora and iTunes.

As I recall from the book all tapes stored in cars metamorphose into best of queen within two weeks, will be watching it tonight so will keep an eye out.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Good Omens, Neil Gaiman, David Tennant, Michael Sheen

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users