3 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

This question keeps occurring to me, and I keep forgetting to pose it:

Did Tolkien ever once mention elves having pointy ears? His only reference to their appearance, that I can find, is that they're the "fair folk".
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

"The ancient elves in myths and legends didn't have pointed ears. You will need to look up Ljósálfr which means “light elves” who were said to be shining or glowing.Nov 14, 2016"

Found this and other similar references in myths, folklore, etc.

#3 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:13 AM

As I recall from the books I read as a teen in celtic myth elves, dwarves and fairies where generally lumped in together as the 'fair folk' dwelling in there underground realms.
I think the pointed ears thing is more of a recent invention same as vampires having fangs are mostly an invention of Stokers Dracula.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#4 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

View PostDoppleganger, on 13 June 2019 - 03:13 AM, said:

As I recall from the books I read as a teen in celtic myth elves, dwarves and fairies where generally lumped in together as the 'fair folk' dwelling in there underground realms.
I think the pointed ears thing is more of a recent invention same as vampires having fangs are mostly an invention of Stokers Dracula.

The odd thing about reading about elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc., is that reading about them tends to run you around in circles. Elves can be everything from ugly and evil, to tiny and twisted, to fitting the descriptions of gnomes, dwarves, and vice versa, and all can be pretty much interchangeable, depending upon the source, country of origin, region, etc. The terms themselves sometimes mean one and the same thing, as in goblins, elves, dwarves, and gnomes.

In other words, the definitions are a bit like trying to nail a fart to the wall. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users