Star Trek lost movie opportunities

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:29 PM

Thinking back on all the Star Trek movies, the best parts of them evolve from the characters and their histories.

The Motion Picture, about all that worked was Spock learning to value his emotions.

Wrath of Khan pulled Khan from Space Seed, and evolved everyone else's careers.

Search for Spock was all about the crew sacrificing everything to save their friend.

Voyage Home was a comedy deriving from the characters existing traits.

The only good part of The Final Frontier was the character interactions.

The Undiscovered Country the character conflicts were all from their history with the Klingons.

Generations, Data's emotion chip and Picard's family losses were more compelling than the main plot. Tying Guinan in was interesting, and Kirk's regret at retirement was believable.  The Duras sisters were a complete waste, though.

First Contact came directly from Picard's trauma.

And the best parts of the reboot movies, by far, was the character interplay.

Insurrection kind of vaguely referenced Picard and the Maquis, but not really in a way that functioned.  And Nemesis seemed to outright reject the idea of natural character evolutions, by introducing B4 without even mentioning Lore, and half-assing the "Riker accepts a command" plotline resolution.

So here's my question: what if we did what the writers did before TWOK, and reviewed all of Trek to date. What stories would make good background for a movie? What plotlines and character threads could benefit from expansion they'll never have?

For all its episodity, TNG really did try to explore or resolve some things.  So bringing up matters like Picard's archaeology schtick, or Lore, or Q, or the Klingon internal matters would need something extra compelling.  Lore could be part of a larger movie about AI in the Federation, for example.  Or Picard's experiences in The Inner Light could go somewhere.

The reunification of Romulus and Vulcan (except, you know, things happened). The reconstruction of Cardassia. The real impact of maintaining/violating the prime directive. The Conspiracy parasites. Hugh's Borg group.  The Dyson sphere. The Schisms aliens. Riker's clone.

What else has happened in Trek that would have made a good launching pad for a movie?

#2 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

From TNG's "The Arsenal of Freedom", the Erselrope Wars were mentioned.  The people of Minos provided weapons for both sides.  It would have been interesting to see what that war was about, and what other weapons they came up with, because they made really good ones for that episode.

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

A huge opportunity was missed when the makers had every chance to not have anything to do with J. J. Abrams. He leaves a stink on anything he touches.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:05 PM

I had a couple of ideas for Trek movies that would have resolved a couple of issues.

The problem of Brent Spiner's age gave me the first idea.  The story starts out with a group of Borg grave-napping the bodies of Dr Soong and his android wife, then kidnapping Beverly and Geordi.  Then they come after Data.  Turns out the last of Lore's Borg minions reassembled him, but he's badly damaged and compromised. His plan is to clone Soong and recreate his mind with the AI programs embedded in his wife, and, to a lesser extent Data's and his own positronic brains. So stuff happens and in the final reel there is a showdown between Data and Lore, and they destroy each other-- but Beverly and Geordi have just enough time to download Data's mind into the Soong clone.  Data has achieved his dream of becoming human.

The second one finally gets rid of the Borg.  I envision it as a grand 24th-century finale, with characters from all the shows. Essentially, the Borg launch their final assault on the Federation-- stuff happens and Janeway and Seven are in the Borg Sphere in the presence of the Queen.  Just as all seems lost, Seven assimilates the Queen.  She is now the Borg Queen and goes off to begin the slow process of disassembling the Collective.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

The Borg idea should have been set in Sweden to give it credibility.

The problem from the beginning with the Borg is that they tried to show far too much. It's just not that kind of thing. It would have made a great radio play, for all the reasons that The Shadow made for great radio.

The original Trek used the radio format on certain episodes. Watch Patterns Of Force without watching the picture and you'll see what I mean. Cover the screen and you can still follow the story, because the story doesn't rely on visual cues. The episode is just as good, with or without visuals.

The original Alien should have been a lesson for TNG writers.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users