• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:31 AM

https://www.thewrap....red-new-series/

NBC

Renewed Series: “The Blacklist,” “Blindspot” (for fifth and final season), “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” “Chicago Fire,” “Chicago Med,” “Chicago P.D.,” “Ellen’s Game of Games,” “Good Girls,” “The Good Place,”  “Law & Order: SVU,” “Manifest,” “New Amsterdam,” “Superstore,” “This Is Us” (for Seasons 4, 5 and 6), “Will & Grace”

Canceled/Ending Series: “Abby’s,” “A.P. Bio,” “The Enemy Within,” “I Feel Bad,” “Marlon,” “Midnight, Texas,” “Reverie,” “Trial & Error,” “The Village”

Series Awaiting Decisions: N/A

Series That Have Yet to Premiere This Season: “The InBetween” (new series)

Newly Ordered Series: “Bluff City Law,” “Council of Dads,” “Indebted,” “The Kenan Show,” “Lincoln,” “Perfect Harmony,” “Sunnyside,” “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist”

Spoiler

CBS

Renewed Series: “Blue Bloods,” “Bull,” “Criminal Minds” (for 15th and final season), “FBI,” “God Friended Me,” “Hawaii Five-0,” “MacGyver,” “Madam Secretary,” “Magnum P.I.,” “Man With a Plan,” “Mom” (for Seasons 7 and 8), “NCIS,” “NCIS: Los Angeles,” “NCIS: New Orleans,” “The Neighborhood,” “SEAL Team,” “S.W.A.T.,” “Young Sheldon” (for Seasons 3 and 4)

Canceled/Ending Series: “The Big Bang Theory,” “Elementary,” “Fam,” “Happy Together,” “Life in Pieces,” “Murphy Brown,” “The Red Line,” “Salvation”

Series Awaiting Decisions: “The Code,” “Ransom”

Series That Have Yet to Premiere This Season: “Blood & Treasure” (new series), “Instinct” (returning series)

Newly Ordered Series: “All Rise,” “Bob Hearts Abishola,” “Broke,” “Carol’s Second Act,” “Evil,” “FBI: Most Wanted,” “Tommy,” “The Unicorn”

Here are the official descriptions for the new 2019-20 CBS shows:

Spoiler

ABC

Renewed Series: “A Million Little Things,” “American Housewife,” “black-ish,” “Bless This Mess,” “The Conners,” “Fresh Off the Boat,” “The Goldbergs,” “The Good Doctor,” “Grey’s Anatomy” (for Seasons 16 and 17), “How to Get Away With Murder,” “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Modern Family” (for 11th and final season), “The Rookie,” “Schooled,” “Single Parents,” “Station 19”

Canceled/Ending Series:  “For the People,” “The Fix,” “The Kids Are Alright,” “Splitting Up Together,” “Speechless,” “Take Two,” “Whiskey Cavalier”

Series That Have Yet to Premiere This Season: “Grand Hotel” (new series)

Newly Ordered Series: “The Baker & The Beauty,” “Emergence,” “For Life,” “Mixed-ish,” “Stumptown,” “United We Fall”

Here are the official descriptions for the new 2019-20 ABC shows:

Spoiler

Fox

Renewed Series: “9-1-1,” “Bob’s Burgers,” “Empire,” “Family Guy,” “Last Man Standing,” “The Masked Singer,” “The Orville,” “The Resident,” “The Simpsons” (for Seasons 31 and 32)

Canceled/Ending Series: “The Cool Kids,” “The Gifted,” “Gotham,” “Lethal Weapon,” “The Passage,” “Proven Innocent,” “Rel,” “Star”

Newly Ordered Series: “9-1-1: Lone Star,” “Bless the Harts,” “Deputy,” “Duncanville,” “Filthy Rich,” “The Great North,” “neXt,” “Not Just Me,” “Outmatched,” “Prodigal Son”

Here are the official descriptions for the new 2019-20 Fox shows:

Spoiler

The CW

Renewed Series: “The 100,” “All American,” “Arrow” (eighth and final season), “Black Lightning,” “Burden of Truth,” “Charmed,” “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Dynasty,” “The Flash,” “In the Dark,” “Legacies,” “The Outpost,” “Riverdale,” “Roswell, New Mexico,” “Supergirl,” “Supernatural” (15th and final season)

Canceled/Ending Series: “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” “Jane the Virgin,” “iZombie”

Newly Ordered Series: “Batwoman,” “Katy Keene,” “Nancy Drew”

Here are the descriptions for the new 2019-20 CW shows:

Spoiler

Edited by Virgil Vox, 20 June 2019 - 10:33 AM.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:29 PM

Ii hope The In-Between is a no show. I hate rehashes.

I wish they'd cancel around 95% of those cooking shows. And those Chicago shows. And those whales in wedding dresses shows. And those shows featuring fatties, shorties, whiners, and pigs abusing low-income people . . .
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

I count as least four shows among those renewed on CBS that are remakes of old shows.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,875 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 20 June 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

I count as least four shows among those renewed on CBS that are remakes of old shows.  :lol:

Nothing new about that. Many early TV shows were remakes of radio shows.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:08 PM

Thank you, Virgil Vox.  I like knowing what is worthy of investing my time in watching.

Although some of the renewals have me baffled.

#6 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:04 PM

CBS' Blood & Treasure premiered a few weeks ago, actually. The seventh episode airs tonight.

It's okay as a modern-day Indiana Jones adventure serial (with the caveat that logic and physics are strained in the exact same way they were in Indy movies), though I don't see it lasting long.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#7 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:14 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 24 June 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

CBS' Blood & Treasure premiered a few weeks ago, actually. The seventh episode airs tonight.

It's okay as a modern-day Indiana Jones adventure serial (with the caveat that logic and physics are strained in the exact same way they were in Indy movies), though I don't see it lasting long.

The title makes it sound like a spoof.

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

Or an RPG.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

Or a spoof of an RPG...

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:17 PM

:lol:

#11 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:23 PM

Is there anything that might turn out to be actually good coming down the pipe?

#12 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:27 PM

STAR TREK:  PICARD later this year, which I look forward to and can't wait to start those threads.

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

I really want to be excited about Picard, but the connection to JJ Trek grates at me....

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,875 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 27 June 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

I really want to be excited about Picard, but the connection to JJ Trek grates at me....

A good story can come from any idea, even if you didn't like what was done with it before. I hated "Miri," but I realized I could get a cool story out of a side issue it raised, if I assumed the Earth-duplicate planet in the episode had somehow crossed over from a parallel timeline, and then worked out what would've happened in that timeline without humanity being around. (In Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Forgotten History.) In fact, I've gotten a number of cool Trek stories out of elements from episodes or films I disliked. It's always possible to redeem an idea with a good enough story.

Heck, sometimes the problem with the original story is that it didn't explore the ramifications of an idea fully enough. If you didn't like the story that grew out of the destruction of Romulus in the movie, maybe that's because there are better stories about it still waiting to be told.

Edited by Christopher, 28 June 2019 - 06:09 AM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#15 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

I haven't been watching it, because I've gotten burned two summers in a row on enjoying a "light summer adventure fare" series that got cancelled, and this seemed like the contender for this year's version of that... but I see that this one *has* been renewed.  It feels like the same phenomenon as my town's sports teams always losing as soon as I try to pay attention to a game.  :)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#16 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:33 PM

Funny, Miri was one of my favourite episodes, although as an adult, all these years later, I can't make myself sit through it.

Nyaah, nyaah-nyaah NYAAH, nyaah . . .

The guy in that episode later appeared in the Bonnie & Clyde movie as a driver, if I'm remembering rightly.

#17 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

View PostNiko, on 28 June 2019 - 03:30 PM, said:

I haven't been watching it, because I've gotten burned two summers in a row on enjoying a "light summer adventure fare" series that got cancelled, and this seemed like the contender for this year's version of that... but I see that this one *has* been renewed.  It feels like the same phenomenon as my town's sports teams always losing as soon as I try to pay attention to a game.  :)

Same here on both counts. The best way to curse the home team is to pay attention to them :)

#18 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

View Postgsmonks, on 28 June 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

Same here on both counts. The best way to curse the home team is to pay attention to them :)

That can be weaponized.

"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#19 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:14 AM

View PostChristopher, on 20 June 2019 - 07:54 PM, said:

View PostRJDiogenes, on 20 June 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

Nothing new about that. Many early TV shows were remakes of radio shows.

"Nothing new about that"
What an ironic retort. I believe that's exactly the complaint.

Ninety-something percent of everything is a rehash. While everything draws inspiration from what wen t before (that's what the public/culture is prepared to accept), I personally believe (without a sufficient survey of the scope of the arts, political and ideas in general) that more of what has proven to have GREAT enduring appeal has been less rehash than more, and then greatest success of overt rehashes has overwhelmingly come fron what it did that was new vs what was the same or rehashed.

View PostRJDiogenes, on 27 June 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

I'd consider that unnecessary pre-judging which obscures the merits of a project's unique merits. Good things come from many unlikely sources. Often they are good in unintended or unexpected ways. Though I do agree that JJ (who has made some good things) is an unlikely source of good Trek, it's not because they've all been ungood, but rather because (to many of us) they've been unTrek. I try to enjoy them for what they are. Much as I find Shakespeare's inaccurate remakes of older tales entirely enthralling.

When I saw the first three episodes of Andromeda, I set off in search of a website where I could criticize and mock it. It took a few weeks (via other places and Beatle5) but, by Halloween 1999, I ended up on SS-BBS and then here. Now I find myself trying to explain how the brilliant elements of the first few seasons of this lesser-known TV SF show raise it well above the mainstream of popular SF TV.

View PostChristopher, on 27 June 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

A good story can come from any idea, even if you didn't like what was done with it before. I hated "Miri," but I realized I could get a cool story out of a side issue it raised, if I assumed the Earth-duplicate planet in the episode had somehow crossed over from a parallel timeline, and then worked out what would've happened in that timeline without humanity being around. (In Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Forgotten History.) In fact, I've gotten a number of cool Trek stories out of elements from episodes or films I disliked. It's always possible to redeem an idea with a good enough story.

Heck, sometimes the problem with the original story is that it didn't explore the ramifications of an idea fully enough. If you didn't like the story that grew out of the destruction of Romulus in the movie, maybe that's because there are better stories about it still waiting to be told.

On this we entirely agree.

#20 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,875 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:13 AM

View PostOrpheus, on 30 June 2019 - 02:14 AM, said:

"Nothing new about that"
What an ironic retort. I believe that's exactly the complaint.

Yes, but people always complain about it as if it were a recent trend, as if it hasn't been done before and is evidence that "Hollywood has no originality left." Which is itself a highly unoriginal complaint that audiences have been making for almost as long as Hollywood has existed.

I personally believe (without a sufficient survey of the scope of the arts, political and ideas in general) that more of what has proven to have GREAT enduring appeal has been less rehash than more, and then greatest success of overt rehashes has overwhelmingly come fron what it did that was new vs what was the same or rehashed.

Well, yes, that last bit is the point -- there's a big difference between an artist's subject matter and its execution, and just doing a story on the same topic doesn't mean it will be done the same way. Pretty much all of Shakespeare's plays were "rehashes" of earlier stories, but he made them so much better than the originals that hardly anyone remembers the originals anymore.

Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users