26 replies to this topic

#21 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,617 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 30 June 2019 - 02:14 AM, said:

I'd consider that unnecessary pre-judging which obscures the merits of a project's unique merits.
Well, for one thing, I want the show to be a nice epilogue to the TNG era, not a spinoff of JJ Trek.  And for another thing, the head honcho does not exactly have a great track record.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#22 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,884 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:04 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 30 June 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

Well, for one thing, I want the show to be a nice epilogue to the TNG era, not a spinoff of JJ Trek.

Oh, for pity's sake, it's all the same franchise. I hate "The Alternative Factor," but it doesn't bother me that the term "dilithium," which debuted in that episode, continued to be used by subsequent Trek. I didn't see the concept as irreversibly contaminated just because it debuted in an episode I didn't like.

For that matter, much of TNG season 1 kind of sucked, but some of its worse episodes produced ideas that good things were done with later on (e.g. Data/Yar in "The Naked Now" vs. "The Measure of a Man"). Star Trek has always, always been a franchise with its ups and downs, and even the best parts have their flaws that we choose to forgive.

And for another thing, the head honcho does not exactly have a great track record.

As was recently announced, the showrunner for Star Trek: Picard is the Pulitzer-winning novelist Michael Chabon. Patrick Stewart himself is also heavily involved in the writing.

Edited by Christopher, 30 June 2019 - 06:04 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#23 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

So does anyone see any new shows that interest them? Honestly, none of them really stand out for me just based on their descriptions. That could change when I see a trailer or an actual episode.

I was also surprised to see Speechless cancelled. I liked that show, even if I didn't catch every episode.

I knew Murphy Brown would be cancelled but it still made me sad. I loved the original and I thought the reboot was good, but it spent too much time making Trump jokes. Trial and Error was also a show I knew was going to be cancelled though I really hoped it would get another season.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#24 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:02 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 02 July 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

So does anyone see any new shows that interest them?

Of the stuff on the main networks? No, no, and no.  If you take out the sitcoms and FBI/serial-killer/murder-of-the-week/courtroom-drama stuff that might as well be churned out on an assembly line at this point, there's barely anything left on that list.  I'll be checking out the Batwoman series in the spirit of general geekitude, but I'm increasingly disenchanted by the CW DC series, so it is coming in with a bit of a handicap.

I'm sure there are a few new genre shows coming to other cable channels that will help fill out the schedule (I'm looking forward to getting a look at a Snowpiercer trailer - that one's either going to be awesome or a total train wreck - and I think I have to try Freeform's "Motherland" because the premise belongs more in an anime series than a live action western show, so it gets some curiosity points for that).  But mostly, it seems like the networks are ceding most of the interesting genre territory to the streaming world right now, and as a primarily genre-based viewer, that's a drag.

I agree that it's too bad Murphy Brown didn't make it, but not surprising.  They weren't finding the right kind of comedy material in the characters' lives to balance the political stuff.  I'm not sure whether I'd have kept watching, if it did come back.

Edited by Niko, 02 July 2019 - 11:03 PM.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#25 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,884 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:44 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 02 July 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

So does anyone see any new shows that interest them?

Beyond Batwoman, not really. I was a bit curious about Nancy Drew, but the trailer just looks like a Riverdale knockoff with a less charismatic lead. I liked Riverdale in its first season when it was fun, but it's become too dark lately and I gave up on it, so I don't have much taste for its knockoffs or spinoffs either.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#26 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:44 AM

Of the stuff on the main networks? No, no, and no.  If you take out the sitcoms and FBI/serial-killer/murder-of-the-week/courtroom-drama stuff that might as well be churned out on an assembly line at this point, there's barely anything left on that list.  I'll be checking out the Batwoman series in the spirit of general geekitude, but I'm increasingly disenchanted by the CW DC series, so it is coming in with a bit of a handicap.

I'll be checking out the Batwoman series as well. While I think Arrow and The Flash haven't been as good as they used to be the fourth series of Supergirl was fantastic. Plus, I'm excited to see how the handle the Crisis.

But mostly, it seems like the networks are ceding most of the interesting genre territory to the streaming world right now, and as a primarily genre-based viewer, that's a drag.

Completely agree.

I agree that it's too bad Murphy Brown didn't make it, but not surprising.  They weren't finding the right kind of comedy material in the characters' lives to balance the political stuff.  I'm not sure whether I'd have kept watching, if it did come back

Agreed. I'm liberal and agreed with basically everything the show said but even I felt they did way too many political jokes, and a lot of them didn't land.

Beyond Batwoman, not really. I was a bit curious about Nancy Drew, but the trailer just looks like a Riverdale knockoff with a less charismatic lead. I liked Riverdale in its first season when it was fun, but it's become too dark lately and I gave up on it, so I don't have much taste for its knockoffs or spinoffs either.

I'll give Nancy Drew a chance but I agree that it looks like a Riverdale knock off and I was never able to get into that show.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#27 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,884 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:05 AM

My problem with Murphy Brown wasn't that it had too many political jokes, but that its political jokes were too feeble for these extreme times. It felt quaint and ineffectual next to the kind of political satire we get from Colbert and Oliver and Noah and Bee on the talk shows. And even aside from the politics, the jokes just weren't funny. The show failed to justify its return.

Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users