Amazon Prime The Boys Garth Ennis Eric Kripke

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

Based off the Garth Ennis comic, Eric Kripke, et al., have taken The Boys and translated it to streaming; retaining characters and incidents while synthesizing a new story, so naturally there were liberties taken with the source material, but it remains more or less true to the spirit.

Vought Enterprises packages and presents Superheroes all across the United States, negotiating deals with cities much as if they were a sports team, with the price for even a second or third-string hero racking up into the hundreds of millions of dollars.  They hope, and are angling towards, securing military contracts as well.  Their premier property is the Seven … a team made up of their best (and best received) heroes:  Homelander, Queen Maeve, The Deep, Black Noir, A-Train, Translucent, and until recently Lamplighter.

Unfortunately, these heroes make mistakes and don’t handle things well when they go wrong.  Vought, of course, is there with their legal staff and spin doctors to preserve the hero’s image, but that doesn’t restore Hughie’s girlfriend who was disintegrated when A-Train literally ran right through her.  This incident brings him into the orbit of that Supes-hating Billie Butcher, who reunites the Boys to bring down the Seven and Vought.

At the same time, to replace a “retiring” hero, Vought elevates a young and idealistic Anne January aka Starlight to join the Seven, and things take a wrong turn when The Deep decides to capitalize on Starlight’s self-confessed crush.  Which will lead to The Deep' downfall.

So, the show’s idealists, Hughie and Starlight/Annie form the twin narratives as doing the right thing must vie with taking the easy route, and this plays out over the eight hour-long episodes.

However, Kripke does try to provide both sides of the argument, demonstrating that neither the Boys, nor the Seven are wholly righteous, with both sides leaving much to be desired, and both sides being led by people that they really shouldn’t be trusting.  If there is Evil, it very much lies with Vought and the people determined to see it achieve its dominance in the world.

Now, of course the series (as did its source material) contains a lot of violence, blood, sex and profanity, however it is much more restrained than in the comics … but still some might find it excessive.  One aspect that was lost was the comic books, with tabloids, bios, appearances, endorsement deals, and "true life" reality shows filling the void.

All in all, it is a very good series that is worth checking out – albeit, yeah, not without some quibbles, but generally the quibbles do not detract from the overall enjoyment of the series.

Between The Boys and The Tick Amazon Prime has carved out its own space in the superhero genre with a pair of superhero series that can offer up food for thought even as one sits back to enjoy them.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 29 July 2019 - 10:09 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the 8 episode season 1 is serialized, with the story unfolding over the course of the entire season, and the season ends at a definite finish, albeit, there is plenty of dangling plot threads that could be picked up in the next season.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,601 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:35 PM

Do we still call it Postmodern Deconstructionism when it's over 35 years old?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:15 PM

Is there an expiration date for such categories?

And, out of curiosity, what is over 35 years old?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 30 July 2019 - 01:16 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

View PostG-man, on 30 July 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Me.  And probably almost everyone on this board.

:)

Edited by FarscapeOne, 30 July 2019 - 02:26 PM.

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,601 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

^^  I certainly am.  :lol:

View PostG-man, on 30 July 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

Is there an expiration date for such categories?  
Apparently not.  And it worries me.

Postmodern Deconstructionism, of course. It's actually way older than that, depending on how you look at it, but it was the 80s when it became a plague.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

I can see that.

I was asking because The Boys debuted in print in 2006, so it is one of the latest of the deconstruction sub-genre.  I like the show’s depiction of corporate culture and how it adversely affects everyone touched by it.  While some notes ring false as they re-conceptualize sequences from the comics, the show does seem to be more nuanced than the comics, managing to make the points while still entertaining.

To its credit, the show is focused on the two decent characters in this messed up world as they strive to do the right thing, even as they struggle with their issues and temptations which lends the show a note of optimism that I found lacking in the comic.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 31 July 2019 - 08:45 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,601 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

View PostG-man, on 31 July 2019 - 08:45 AM, said:

To its credit, the show is focused on the two decent characters in this messed up world as they strive to do the right thing, even as they struggle with their issues and temptations which lends the show a note of optimism that I found lacking in the comic.  
This sounds more encouraging to me.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users