Doctor Who 3rd Doctor 2nd Doctor 1st Doctor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:59 PM

Posted Image

I want to start by saying that this season, the 10th Classic DW season, is the next one that the BBC is releasing on Blu-Ray. They have released Tom Baker’s first and last seasons as well as peter Davison’s first season.

I am glad that they are doing these full season box sets and I hope they end up releasing all of the seasons on Blu-Ray. I’ve bought quite a few Doctor Who DVDs but the Blu-Rays will take up less room and cost a whole lot less in the long run. Besides, some of the Doctor Who DVDs are insanely expensive, with some selling for $100 to $200.

I quite liked this story. Basically, a mysterious enemy has launched an attack against the Doctor and the Time Lords. It is such a serious threat that the Time Lords break the First Law of Time and send the first and second incarnations of the Doctor to help out the current incarnation. Hilarity ensues.

This story shines when the 2nd and 3rd Doctors are on screen together. They are as different as can be (a dandy and a clown as the 1st Doctor says) but they bounce off one another fantastically. When they are separated during the second episode and part of the third the story suffers for it.

William Hartnell was in poor health so he filmed all of his scenes separate and never actually interacts with the cast. Despite that the 1st Doctor still has a presence in the special and is the one who keeps the other two Doctors on task when they argue.

Troughton is good fun as the 2nd Doctor. I liked him in The Five Doctors but there he shared screen time with the other Doctors and various companions. Here he is practically the star and he is wonderful. I am really going to have to go and watch some of his episodes. Any suggestions about good 2nd Doctor episodes to watch would be appreciated.

The villain here is Omega, who I saw first in Arc of Infinity. In that story he didn’t make much of an impact. The story was all over the place and I didn’t have the background about who he is. He is a much better villain here. In many ways he is a tragic character. He was the solar engineer who created the power necessary to allow the Time Lords to travel in time. That caused him to be stuck in a black hole. At first he thought the other Time Lords would rescue him but they had written him off for dead. Now all he wants is revenge.

It is completely understandable that he wants to leave the black hole singularity. He has been trapped there for centuries and it is only his will that allows the small universe he has created to exist. He wants to be back in the normal universe. The twist that his body was basically eaten away by the singularity was shocking and tragic. Omega only exists because he wills himself to exist. He can’t leave the black hole.

Jo is in fine form here. She keeps the Doctors on task and puts an end to their arguing whenever it gets too bad. She is the one who comes up with the idea that the Doctors can manipulate the pocket universe just like Omega which is the key to freeing everyone and to defeating Omega in the end.

Benton gets a larger role here than what he normally see. With no Yates around he really steps up. He takes everything in stride and keeps his wits about him.

The same can’t be said for the Brigadier. It is like he is being purposefully obstinate and ignorant here. The Brig has now dealt with the Doctor in two incarnations for quite some time. He knows the Doctor’s modus operandi and yet he doesn’t believe that the 2nd Doctor has time traveled, he believes that the Doctor built the TARDIS using UNIT material, refuses to believe that they have traveled in the TARDIS to another planet, etc. It just isn’t a good showing for the Brig.

Omega’s giant walking jelly creatures don’t look good, even by the standards of the day. It just isn’t a very good design.

I really thought we had lost Bessie for a minute. That car is just as much a character as any of the UNIT family.

The story did a good job of showing just how big of a threat the Doctor was facing by having him call the Time Lords for help and then by having the Time Lords break their own laws to help the Doctor stop Omega.

The 2nd Doctor’s reaction to being introduced as the 3rd Doctor’s assistant was priceless.

The Time Lords end the Doctor’s exile at the end of the story by giving him the dematerialization circuit he needed.

A rather good anniversary special that really crackles when the 2nd and 3rd Doctors share the screen. It isn’t perfect but it is a lot of fun.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:03 PM

I love these Multiple Doctor stories.  They should really do one with all of the modern doctors (except the guy with the ears probably won't do it). They should use that guy who played the First Doctor last year, too, only with some better characterization this time.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,882 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 August 2019 - 10:59 PM, said:

Troughton is good fun as the 2nd Doctor. I liked him in The Five Doctors but there he shared screen time with the other Doctors and various companions. Here he is practically the star and he is wonderful. I am really going to have to go and watch some of his episodes. Any suggestions about good 2nd Doctor episodes to watch would be appreciated.

Ooh, let's see, there's a lot to like. A number of the serials with missing episodes have been restored with animation.

"The Power of the Daleks": This only survives in audio form, but it was fully animated a while back, in both black-and-white and colo(u)r versions. Important as the debut of the Second Doctor and the first-ever regeneration (or "renewal" as it was then called), and also a strong, effective Dalek story in which human folly and ambition are as great an evil as the Daleks themselves.

"The Moonbase": Available with two intact and two animated episodes. The first of the archetypal "base under siege" serials that defined the Troughton era, and the Second Doctor's first encounter with his most frequent foes, the Cybermen. Some pretty dire costumes and FX are balanced out by some unusually solid science for Doctor Who, since the writer was the show's science advisor during the brief period when it made any effort at plausibility in that regard.

"The Tomb of the Cybermen": The earliest fully intact serial, and one of the best Cybermen stories, with some nice character-building for the Doctor.

"The Enemy of the World": The second fully intact one, not as well-loved, but noteworthy for breaking format and being a political thriller with a purely human villain (a lookalike for the Doctor, in fact, letting Troughton show off his character-acting chops). Amusingly, it's set on Earth in the far future of 2018.

"The Web of Fear": Still missing episode 3, but an essential serial, the debut of Colonel (later Brigadier) Lethbridge-Stewart. It's a sequel to "The Abominable Snowmen," but that's not as essential to see.

"The Mind Robber": A surreal piece set in an alternate universe where fiction becomes real. The production values aren't quite up to visualizing the concepts, but it's still a fun story and a good showing for my favorite Troughton companion, Zoe.

"The Invasion": The first and longest incomplete serial to get an animated restoration, it's a classic tale of the Cybermen's invasion of Earth, and the debut of UNIT.

"The War Games": Troughton's farewell, a sprawling 10-part serial that manages to avoid feeling repetitive because it shifts focus and expands the stakes every 2-3 episodes. It's a biting anti-war piece (an interesting contrast to the season opener "The Dominators," which was from a more conservative author and was a critique of pacifism), and its last half features a fantastic villain played by Philip Madoc. It also culminates with the introduction of the Time Lords.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:29 PM

Eccleston was my Doctor, the one who made me a fan of the series.  But for classic DOCTOR WHO, my favorite has always been Troughton.  I love them all for different reasons, but there was something very endearing about Troughton.  A real shame that most of the missing episodes are his.  (Of course my favorite Doctor would be the one with the most missing episodes.)

Side note:  If I had an actual TARDIS, I would do exactly two things with it.  First, I'd see all my favorite bands when all members were alive... Led Zeppelin while Bonham was alive, AC/DC before Bon Scott died, The Who while Keith Moon was alive, Queen with Freddie (I'll be seeing Queen with Adam Lambert this Saturday), and more.

Second... I'd save all the master tapes of Hartnell and Troughton, since all others have been found and released on dvd.  I'd bring them to the current time for dvd release for all.

I think this would make me the most harmless time traveler ever...

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 11 August 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

I love these Multiple Doctor stories.  They should really do one with all of the modern doctors (except the guy with the ears probably won't do it). They should use that guy who played the First Doctor last year, too, only with some better characterization this time.

Multiple Doctor stories are fun. I wish there were more of them. If the guy with the ears is Christopher Eccleston than yeah he has made it clear he won't come back. It would be fun to see the others join up with 13.

View PostChristopher, on 11 August 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 August 2019 - 10:59 PM, said:

Ooh, let's see, there's a lot to like. A number of the serials with missing episodes have been restored with animation.

"The Power of the Daleks": This only survives in audio form, but it was fully animated a while back, in both black-and-white and colo(u)r versions. Important as the debut of the Second Doctor and the first-ever regeneration (or "renewal" as it was then called), and also a strong, effective Dalek story in which human folly and ambition are as great an evil as the Daleks themselves.

"The Moonbase": Available with two intact and two animated episodes. The first of the archetypal "base under siege" serials that defined the Troughton era, and the Second Doctor's first encounter with his most frequent foes, the Cybermen. Some pretty dire costumes and FX are balanced out by some unusually solid science for Doctor Who, since the writer was the show's science advisor during the brief period when it made any effort at plausibility in that regard.

"The Tomb of the Cybermen": The earliest fully intact serial, and one of the best Cybermen stories, with some nice character-building for the Doctor.

"The Enemy of the World": The second fully intact one, not as well-loved, but noteworthy for breaking format and being a political thriller with a purely human villain (a lookalike for the Doctor, in fact, letting Troughton show off his character-acting chops). Amusingly, it's set on Earth in the far future of 2018.

"The Web of Fear": Still missing episode 3, but an essential serial, the debut of Colonel (later Brigadier) Lethbridge-Stewart. It's a sequel to "The Abominable Snowmen," but that's not as essential to see.

"The Mind Robber": A surreal piece set in an alternate universe where fiction becomes real. The production values aren't quite up to visualizing the concepts, but it's still a fun story and a good showing for my favorite Troughton companion, Zoe.

"The Invasion": The first and longest incomplete serial to get an animated restoration, it's a classic tale of the Cybermen's invasion of Earth, and the debut of UNIT.

"The War Games": Troughton's farewell, a sprawling 10-part serial that manages to avoid feeling repetitive because it shifts focus and expands the stakes every 2-3 episodes. It's a biting anti-war piece (an interesting contrast to the season opener "The Dominators," which was from a more conservative author and was a critique of pacifism), and its last half features a fantastic villain played by Philip Madoc. It also culminates with the introduction of the Time Lords.

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe Britbox has all of the episodes you mentioned aside from the Moonbase. I might have to start fitting in 2nd Doctor adventures between the 3rd and 5th.

View PostFarscapeOne, on 11 August 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

Eccleston was my Doctor, the one who made me a fan of the series.  But for classic DOCTOR WHO, my favorite has always been Troughton.  I love them all for different reasons, but there was something very endearing about Troughton.  A real shame that most of the missing episodes are his.  (Of course my favorite Doctor would be the one with the most missing episodes.)

Side note:  If I had an actual TARDIS, I would do exactly two things with it.  First, I'd see all my favorite bands when all members were alive... Led Zeppelin while Bonham was alive, AC/DC before Bon Scott died, The Who while Keith Moon was alive, Queen with Freddie (I'll be seeing Queen with Adam Lambert this Saturday), and more.

Second... I'd save all the master tapes of Hartnell and Troughton, since all others have been found and released on dvd.  I'd bring them to the current time for dvd release for all.

I think this would make me the most harmless time traveler ever...

David Tennant is my Doctor and the one who got me into DW. I've really only been exposed to two Classic Doctors so far. I like both thr 3rd and 5th Doctors but I have to give the edge to the 3rd Doctor.

It sucks that most of Troughton's stories have been lost. I did see that they released an animated version of The Macra Terror, at least in the UK. It will be released in the U.S. in November. It looks good and I'll buy it when it comes out.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,601 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:44 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 14 August 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

Multiple Doctor stories are fun. I wish there were more of them. If the guy with the ears is Christopher Eccleston than yeah he has made it clear he won't come back. It would be fun to see the others join up with 13.  
Yeah, that's the guy.  He's kind of the odd man out.  He was only on for a year and is apparently not very friendly to the franchise.  I don't understand it.  But they could also still invite that other guy whose name I also forget, who was in that movie during the interregnum. He seems happy enough to be a part of the Doctor's world.

David Tennant is my Doctor and the one who got me into DW. I've really only been exposed to two Classic Doctors so far. I like both thr 3rd and 5th Doctors but I have to give the edge to the 3rd Doctor.  
Peter Davison is my Doctor, because I started watching with his first episode.  I loved that short film that he and Tennant did together where Tennant kind of broke character for just an instant and said, "You're my Doctor, Doctor."  That was so nice.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, 3rd Doctor, 2nd Doctor, 1st Doctor

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users