Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Krypton?

Krypton DC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:44 PM

Cheers Ex Islers! :)  Long time since I've been around.

I'm here watching Krypton - anyone else?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:50 PM

I too have been regularly watching Krypton and have been quite impressed with it.  Excellent cast, good world building, very good costume and production design.  Liked how the show developed its characters and storylines gradually.

I was dubious about the inclusion of such an over-the-top character as Lobo in season two, fearing the whole show could degenerate into camp if they weren't careful.  Fortunately this has not happened, and Lobo actually introduces some humor in an otherwise very serious show.

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,890 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:23 AM

I didn't think season 2 worked quite as well as season 1, though Colin Salmon is easily the best Zod ever.

As for Lobo, I hated him. I've never liked the character, but he's been relatively tolerable in his animation appearances where he was toned down to be kid-friendly. Here, in more uncensored form, he was far more unpleasant. And I dislike the actor, although he wasn't as mind-numbingly incompetent here as he was in the role of Jim Corrigan in Constantine.

I'm puzzled because they said originally that they were going to include a version of Hawkwoman in season 1, and then they said they were saving her for season 2, and yet here we are at the end of season 2 and she's still nowhere to be seen.

Edited by Christopher, 16 August 2019 - 07:23 AM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,890 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

And it's just been announced that Syfy has cancelled Krypton. It's another casualty of the fact that it's easier for Syfy to afford shows that it produces itself than ones it acquires from outside producers (also the reason that Dark Matter and The Expanse got the axe). Although WB is looking into moving it to DC Universe or HBO Max.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

Well, nuts.  Considering the fate of Dark Matter and The Expanse, I suppose the cancellation of Krypton, considering it was an obviously quite expensive show to do, is hardly surprising.  I will definitely contact DC Universe and HBO Max and urge them to pick up Krypton.  

(Sigh)  I dropped Directv and went full Roku this month.  With all the steaming services I'm subscribing to --Amazon, CBS All Access, DC Universe, Hulu, Netflix, and soon HBO Max and Disney Plus to boot--I suspect my annual savings on my entertainment budget, although still significant, are going to wind up being less than I had hoped.  Welcome to the joys and pitfalls of unbundled pay as you go video services.

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:20 PM

I was actually somewhat underwhelmed with Krypton last season.  But I think that may have been DC overload.  Season 2 of Krypton started off kinda clunky for me, but I've enjoyed the season's later episodes.  Brainiac was an interesting take, Lobo sucked.  Mostly I object to Lobo on the same grounds of aesthetics.  He ought to have been a big guy like Arnold Swartzenegger, in my opinion.  This Lobo was scrawny and his voice too high.  Ah well.  Beyond the aesthetics of the presentation - he was alright.  Like - I didn't hate having him on screen.  Just my idea of Lobo is not a whiny guy.

Kem's end was astounding.  I really loved the way he and Adam have matured.  And Nissa is such an interesting, lost soul.  I keep wanting her to rise to her best self - but in a universe where your house informs your character, I wonder if Nissa IS already rising to her best self - decent, well-intentioned, devious.  

The biggest disappointment I've had with the show is not knowing more about the houses, and the tech.  Also the lack of flying dragons (MoS).  I really wanted to know this world more.

Sad that the show is cancelled.  I haven't subscribed to DC's streaming service, but that seems the right place for the show to live on.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

Like Gotham, this show managed to give us definitive takes on a few of the iconic villains. As Christopher noted, there's never been a better Zod, and I'd say that Brainiac 1.0 is pitch perfect in all his slow and methodical scenery chewing. Nyssa deserves a chance to reinvent herself far away from anyone who's ever heard of House Vex (she and Lena Luthor would have an interesting conversation about family legacies).

It was also clearly well-versed and unexpectedly careful with the mythos. The only changes they made were very deliberate and usually added or filled in details --their version of Doomsday actually adds motivation to the comics version (in the comics, he just attacked Superman because he [somehow] recognized him as a Kryptonian. In this version we see that it's someone from the House of El --with the symbol Superman wears on his chest-- who tortured him, lied to him, and took away everything he had). And of course, making Dru-Zod Kal's uncle adds a certain level of irony both to their relationship, and to the existence of Lor-Zod (a.k.a. Christopher Kent, Clark & Lois' adopted son in the Post-Crisis comics).

My only complaint would've been to mention Seg-El's other son, though it's possible that Adam comes from before Kara arrived on Earth, so Clark might not even have known about that branch of the family.

Lobo isn't true to the comics, but he's hilarious, which is better than being accurate (Lobo's whole thing is that he's a parody of toxic masculinity from before that term existed [and, like all parodies, too many people took him seriously]; if you can't go "huge muscular brute," then "crude goofball" is the next best thing --comics-Lobo is clearly how TV-Lobo imagines himself; maybe the comics are Lobo's autobiography).

Naturally, news of the cancellation comes just as they finally get around to Thanagarians.

(I also loved the puns on the character posters. "Fight like El" "In Zod we trust" "The Vex factor" "Us vs Em")
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,890 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 17 August 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Like Gotham, this show managed to give us definitive takes on a few of the iconic villains. As Christopher noted, there's never been a better Zod, and I'd say that Brainiac 1.0 is pitch perfect in all his slow and methodical scenery chewing.

Yeah, their take on Brainiac was impressive, though I think they "humanized" him too much this season, having him take too much interest in people and relationships and things that should probably be beneath his notice. Though that's kind of hard not to do if you want a villain to be an actual character rather than just a force of nature.

And while I've always found Doomsday a lame idea for a character, they did execute the concept well here, compared to previous screen versions.

Naturally, news of the cancellation comes just as they finally get around to Thanagarians.

If you mean the winged silhouettes Nyssa saw in the sky, odds are those were Parademons, given that she saw an omega symbol (often associated with Darkseid) painted on the rock just before they appeared.

Facebook Author Page

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

I'm not completely surprised about the cancellation since I knew ratings were down but it still depresses me. Hopefully the DC streaming service will pick it up for at least one more season so they can wrap up the dangling plots.

I thought season 2 was an improvement over season 1. I felt it had better pacing due to a more urgent story line. Also, they made it more personal for the characters instead of "We need to save a person in the future you don't know despite the fact that doing so will ensure your planet is doomed."

I agree that we need to see Nyssa's journey continue from simply being a daughter of the House of Vex and the more nuanced, trying to do good woman she was here.

The clone fake-out with Lyta was disappointing but it didn't ruin the season for me.

I did feel like this season was full of gaybait, though. I was hoping they would confirm one way or the other whether Adam was gay or bi but instead they kept it vague and joke-y. I thought they were doing better with Nyssa when she got together with that rebel woman but again they didn't make it clear if Nyssa was with the rebel because Nyssa had feelings for her or was using her to get the intel she needed. The rebel was then killed and Nyssa made it clear later on she still had the hots for Seg.

They finally gave Adam a more comics accurate costume and I loved it.

It was also clearly well-versed and unexpectedly careful with the mythos. The only changes they made were very deliberate and usually added or filled in details --their version of Doomsday actually adds motivation to the comics version (in the comics, he just attacked Superman because he [somehow] recognized him as a Kryptonian. In this version we see that it's someone from the House of El --with the symbol Superman wears on his chest-- who tortured him, lied to him, and took away everything he had). And of course, making Dru-Zod Kal's uncle adds a certain level of irony both to their relationship, and to the existence of Lor-Zod (a.k.a. Christopher Kent, Clark & Lois' adopted son in the Post-Crisis comics).

See, I didn't like that they made Clark and Zod related. It felt a little small world-ish and unnecessary.

Lobo isn't true to the comics, but he's hilarious, which is better than being accurate (Lobo's whole thing is that he's a parody of toxic masculinity from before that term existed [and, like all parodies, too many people took him seriously]; if you can't go "huge muscular brute," then "crude goofball" is the next best thing --comics-Lobo is clearly how TV-Lobo imagines himself; maybe the comics are Lobo's autobiography).

Lobo was hilarious. I ended up liking him a lot more than I thought I would. I'm not sure if I would want to watch an entire show based on his character but as a supporting character on Krypton he was great.

(Sigh)  I dropped Directv and went full Roku this month.  With all the steaming services I'm subscribing to --Amazon, CBS All Access, DC Universe, Hulu, Netflix, and soon HBO Max and Disney Plus to boot--I suspect my annual savings on my entertainment budget, although still significant, are going to wind up being less than I had hoped.  Welcome to the joys and pitfalls of unbundled pay as you go video services.

Yeah, it feels like pretty soon cutting the cord is going to cost the same as having the cord if the streaming world keeps fracturing. I love DC but so far they have nothing on their service that makes me want to pay a monthly fee for it. Honestly, if it wasn't for the new Picard series I would have dropped CBS because I don't like Discovery.

I wish they had kept Head-Brainiac for a little longer. Seg and Brainiac made for an unlikely comedy duo. It reminded me of the same situation in Farscape with Crichton and Scorpius.

Doomsday didn't disappoint. He was a terrifying force of nature and he tore through the rebels like they weren't there. I appreciated the back story they gave him.

It was pretty cathartic to see Zod get the beat down he deserved at the hands of Seg and Lyta.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Krypton, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users