9 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:18 PM

That'll work.

While not adhering closely to the comics, I think the show did a good job establishing every thing, and laying the groundwork for Team Batwoman.

I like that our girl is close to her seemingly flighty step-sister (aka Girl who speaks too much), and discovering that there is more to her.

The addition of a step-mother was interesting.  Is she a councilwoman?  Given that someone else was identified as the mayor, I'm wondering just whar her role is in the city.

That our girl's ex- could be construed as the daughter her father wanted was an interesting turn ... and I liked that they didn't drag out the mystery of who Alice was.  

All in all, a good start to the series.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 08 October 2019 - 10:41 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

Something I really appreciated was the detail that Kate’s family was lost because of Batman trying to do too much, and ultimately failing.  Truly a rarity in Batman lore, and something that reminds us that he is only a man with his limitations, something I suspect Batman might have forgotten.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man  Himself

Edited by G-man, 08 October 2019 - 10:46 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

I also enjoyed this pilot. It managed to do quite a lot in its running time without feeling like too much was thrown at us or feeling too rushed.

I am all for a major superhero show that has a LGBT lead and Kate is a great hero. She wouldn't compromise who she was to stay in the military academy. She pushed herself to become the best fighter she could so that she could hopefully join the Crows. She has a keen intellect and was able to figure out where Sophie was being held before anyone else.

I'm curious to see if Sophie is bisexual or if she has just repressed her sexuality to make it easier to get by in society.

It was sad that Kate doesn't have her final Batwoman costume yet. I hope it won't be too long before she dons it.

I wasn't sure if Alice was supposed to be insane ala Joker and Harley Quinn or if she was just play acting. Either way she didn't come across as truly psycho and I just wasn't feeling her as a villain. I'm hoping she will get better as the season progresses. It was nice that they didn't drag out that she was Kate's sister.

Mary being more than just a vapid social media obsessed young woman was a nice twist and made the character a lot more palatable. I wonder if she will be let in on Kate's secret and join the team? It seems like every Berlanti superhero show has to have all the major characters knowing the identity of the hero and being on their team so I'm just assuming that will happen here.

Something I really appreciated was the detail that Kate’s family was lost because of Batman trying to do too much, and ultimately failing.  Truly a rarity in Batman lore, and something that reminds us that he is only a man with his limitations, something I suspect Batman might have forgotten.

I appreciated that as well. It did seem odd that Luke said Batman could never figure out what went wrong and Kate said something about the bumper or whatever breaking off. That seems like an obvious thing Batman would have known about.

Speaking of the Dark Knight I wonder if the series will address where he is this season or leave it until next season, similar to how Supergirl didn't feature Superman until the second season.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 09 October 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

I'm curious to see if Sophie is bisexual or if she has just repressed her sexuality to make it easier to get by in society.

Too early to say for sure, but I get the sense that she's closeted/in denial rather than bi.

It was sad that Kate doesn't have her final Batwoman costume yet. I hope it won't be too long before she dons it.

I think it's been reported that the events of Batwoman's Elseworlds appearance fall between episodes 3 and 4, so she should have the final costume within the next two weeks at most.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

Too feminazi- vehicle for me. Like a Patricia Cornwell novel, there's a dyke lurking in every corner.

I don't give a rat's arse about a character's sexual orientation. What I do not like is this type of sanctimonious proselytising masquerading as entertainment.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#7 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

Haven't seen it myself, but this is the only place I've seen with positive comments. Most say the same as gsmonk.
Can't Touch This!!

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:02 PM

Too feminazi- vehicle for me. Like a Patricia Cornwell novel, there's a dyke lurking in every corner.

I don't give a rat's arse about a character's sexual orientation. What I do not like is this type of sanctimonious proselytising masquerading as entertainment.

Well, that was rude.

There was hardly a lesbian around every corner. Two characters are gay. It just happens that one of them is the main lead. I also didn't think they were proselytizing. It just showed the realities of being an out and proud lesbian. She was kicked out of the academy because of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Sophie is more than likely pretending to be straight because life is already hard enough for black women without also being gay. The show just shined a light on that reality. As a gay man I like seeing this being addressed. Quite frankly people saying that the show is pushing an agenda or has too many gay characters is just like when people say they're fine with gay people as long as they don't have to see it in real life or on TV.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:23 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 October 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

She was kicked out of the academy because of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

In the comics, yes, but I don't think that works here. DADT was repealed about 8 years ago, but as I interpret the dialogue in the pilot, Kate was kicked out after the Crows were formed, and that was after Batman disappeared 3 years ago (I think). The dialogue seemed to present it as that particular military academy's code of conduct rather than a nationwide policy.

Sophie is more than likely pretending to be straight because life is already hard enough for black women without also being gay.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. It'd be interesting if they explore the intersectional angle there.

Quite frankly people saying that the show is pushing an agenda or has too many gay characters is just like when people say they're fine with gay people as long as they don't have to see it in real life or on TV.

Yeah, they have it backward. Acknowledging people's diversity is just being true to reality. The people with the agenda are the ones who want to deny or erase it.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#10 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

The writing and the acting are absolutely awful. Contrived, fake, painful to watch. People furiously emoting over stuff that doesn't matter.

This seems to be typical of millennial tv dramas. Drama-queen nonsense.

I watch lots of programmes and read lots of books with LGBTQ characters, from the beloved Sgt Wield in Reginald Hill's Dalziel/Pasco books to a number of Anime. It's the treatment, not the content.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Batwoman, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users