Nancy Drew CW

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:49 AM

Well … that certainly wasn’t the Nancy Drew I’ve come to know.

Within this CW teen melodrama set in Maine is a tremendous loss of innocence and idealism that had previously characterized Nancy Drew.

We open up with a mysterious death in 2000 of Lucy Sable, aka the Sea Queen (it was murder), that’s entered Horseshoe Bay’s legendry.  The Sea Queen is now a ghost that haunts the town, and now Nancy.

Here, we find that Nancy has closed herself off from friends and family after her mother had died from cancer.  Nancy is secretly hooking up with Ned “Nick” Nickerson (soon to be revealed as an ex-con whom her father defended), and is merely existing while working at a diner for “George,” a one-time school chum, alongside Bess (who has secrets of her own).  Her father has buried himself in work, and sought comfort in the arms of a family friend.  Meanwhile, as the town celebrates something or other (Homecoming?) the wealthy wife is murdered outside the diner, and Nancy, and her associates, are now suspects of the local police chief who resented all the times Nancy had done his job for him.

And hijinks ensue.

Now to prove her innocence, Nancy must investigate TWO murders, uncover the secrets of her associates, and compete with a police chief holding a grudge, all while resenting her father and the secrets he kept from her, and deciding whether or not to trust her lover, all while haunted by the spirit of the Sea Queen.

Had it not been called Nancy Drew, I’d consider that the CW came up with something interesting … but as it is, I may or may not follow it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 10 October 2019 - 08:16 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,203 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

I took a look at it but lost interest about 18 minutes in. Nothing about it grabbed me, and nobody in it seemed to like each other much. Maybe if I had any real investment in Nancy Drew, I would've been more interested, but maybe I would've been more turned off. (I'm sure there's a contingent of old-school fans who were offended that wholesome children's-book character Nancy Drew was introduced having casual sex. I didn't mind that, though I do find it really weird that so many TV characters have sex with their clothes on.)

What was Pamela Sue Martin's role? I saw her name in the credits but wasn't willing to stick around to find out.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:47 AM

I don't blame you ... I was 50:50 about whether to stick it out, or turn it off, and I still haven't decided whether I'll continue to watch it.  I'll probably give it one more episode.

As for Pamela Sue Martin, according to IMDB she played "Harriet Grosset" who, IIRC, was the psychic the girls visited while tracking down the locket that Nancy had discovered.

If someone could verify that the psychic/medium was Harriet Grosset, I'd appreciate it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,203 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:52 AM

I don't recall the Nancy Drew books having a supernatural bent, unless it was of the Scooby-Doo variety where there was a mundane explanation.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

The books didn't, Christopher.

This aspect is particular to this program, which is why I find it notable.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,906 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:16 PM

View PostG-man, on 10 October 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

Had it not been called Nancy Drew, I’d consider that the CW came up with something interesting … but as it is, I may or may not follow it.  
This is what I never get.  Why do something completely different and then slap an inappropriate name on it?   Just create an entirely original concept.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

I might give this another episode or two to try and win me over. It was okay but nothing great.

I understand that they want to make the show edgy and move away from the more wholesome aspects of the character but this just felt like they were trying too hard. They literally introduced us to Nancy as she is having rather loud sex with Ned. I'm fine with Nancy having sex but it felt more like shock for shock sake's.

The same with renaming Ned Nick. I mean, really?

It also sucks that Nancy is antagonistic to just about every single character. I'd be fine with that but it never felt earned.

The central mystery also didn't do that good a job of sucking me in. The murder victim is just a random socialite that we weren't able to connect with or feel sympathy for at all.

I think part of the problem is that I kept comparing it to the Veronica Mars pilot. There we knew exactly why Veronica was an outcast and didn't like anyone. We were pulled into the mystery of Lily Kane's murder and made to care about it and her. It was a wonderful pilot.

That's not to say it was all bad. I generally like the cast and the episode did keep me engaged.

I had to roll my eyes hard when Nancy left her hat behind. They weren't being chased. She could have taken the two seconds and grabbed it from off of the tree. Instead she left evidence behind that tied her directly to the break-in.

The supernatural aspects haven't won me over it. I can't tell if we're meant to believe there really is a ghost or if Nancy is just imaging things.

You know you must be old when an episode talks about how a woman was murdered a long time ago in 2000. I thought the legend of Lucy would go back to the 70s or 80s because that's what I was used to from movies and TV shows growing up. Instead it goes back to my high school years.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,906 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:52 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 October 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

I understand that they want to make the show edgy and move away from the more wholesome aspects of the character but this just felt like they were trying too hard.  
I think this sums up about 90% of the movies and TV of the 21st century.

You know you must be old when an episode talks about how a woman was murdered a long time ago in 2000. I thought the legend of Lucy would go back to the 70s or 80s because that's what I was used to from movies and TV shows growing up. Instead it goes back to my high school years.  
Welcome to my world.  My high school years were in the 70s.  :laughtears:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,203 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 October 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

The same with renaming Ned Nick. I mean, really?

Maybe they thought Ned was too old-fashioned a name. Heck, The Simpsons has probably ruined it forever.

It also sucks that Nancy is antagonistic to just about every single character. I'd be fine with that but it never felt earned.

Yeah, nobody seemed to like anybody, which was part of why I lost interest.

Facebook Author Page

#10 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,416 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

My high school years were in the 80's and all the music I listened to in high school is now considered classic rock, so, yeah, I'm right there with all of you. :crybaby:
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,906 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

They're playing Pearl Jam and Nirvana on my local Classic Rock station.  :o

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

An interesting note is that Nancy is 18, suggesting she was born in 2001, which means that 2000 is literally from before her time (talk about feeling old :( ).  It may have possibly been when her father was courting her mother, suggesting that they might’ve been high school sweethearts who personally knew Lucy Sable/Sea Queen and were married before he went to get his law degree.  Leading back to Ryan Hudson (George’s lover, and local rich guy) who was a school chum of Dad’s, and he (or his family) might have had something to do with Lucy Sable as well.

Anyhow …

Episode 2: I was kind of tuning in and out of this one. The whole lack of trust/trustworthiness is wearing on me, as is the ghost and Nancy’s tendency to “go it alone” when she does her B&E’s.  That she gets caught is refreshing, and I liked that she and George did demonstrate (kind of) their trustworthiness to each other. That George was rumored the “school slut” and Nancy did nothing is regrettable … especially among those she considered friends (at least until Nancy became preoccupied with her Mother’s diagnosis and subsequent death), since that inaction is antithetical to the classic Nancy Drew.

Now, I’m guessing that the “Sea Queen” ceremony might have been part of the Homecoming Ceremony (maybe), but that the town also has the Sea Water ceremony … I’m really beginning to wonder at this town and its mythology.

Anyhow, Nancy now has an operational Roadster to tear around town in, and George is destined to die this year according to superstition … although I can see how that superstition could be used to play a cruel prank on someone.  But who would do that to George?

While I do not wholly buy her father’s explanation regarding the dress; it was nice that there was something approaching a rapprochement between the two of them, even if it did require Nancy being locked up in order to achieve it.

I just wish show this was a little less soap-opery, and more a straight up murder mystery.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 17 October 2019 - 11:37 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

Episode 3:  You know, given how many hauntings and curses pervade Horseshoe Bay, I’m thinking the town ought to be renamed Eerie.  The superstition du jour is that Nor’easters usher restless spirits back into town.

So, during the storm, Carson Drew’s lover (and investigating Detective) is trying to pressure Nancy into turning on Nick (she doesn’t) so the cops can close the case on the murder without having to invest much effort doing their own investigation beyond our gang who happened to be present when Tiffany Hudson died on the Claw’s doorstep.  Ryan Hudson, husband to Tiffany and George’s lover, has come to Carson to find if there is anything in his dead wife’s estate he can liquidate now, because he’s in bad need of money … don’t ask who is seeking to collect.

Nancy and Nick take the roadster out to Lilac in, a property Tiffany was renovating, to follow the clues the she had left for Nick. Seeking to understand the connection, Nancy manages to pull the circumstances surrounding the event that ended with Nick’s conviction out of Nick, and discovers that a remorseful Tiffany had born false-witness against him and sought to make amends.  Now, $5 Million in bearer bonds that Tiffany left for Nick is in play.

The spirit of the Lucy Sable (aka Sea Queen) continues to haunt the Drew House, terrifying Ryan, and dripping on Carson, who has since gotten rid of the bloodstained dress, drawing further questions from Nancy.  I’m still not sure why the Spirit has chosen this point to manifest itself, but given the fright it gave to Ryan, I’m more convinced that he may’ve had something to the girl’s death back in 2000.

George is now subject to a number of near-death occurrences, and the spirit of yet another murdered girl interviews for a job at the Claw, and taunts George over her reliance on superstitions to protect her from a curse, neither of which she purports to believe in.

Finally, Ace discovers, and clues Nancy in, on Bess’s homeless situation.  Nancy invites Bess to stay with her, and inadvertently discovers that Bess has the murder victim’s diamond ring.

OK, despite the horror and melodrama, neither of which I’m a big fan of, I do find myself sticking with the program.  However, Nancy’s lack of care in hiding evidence of her own questionable activities continue to astound me given that she is otherwise so observant in spotting the clues others had left behind.  I guess being the town’s once celebrated child detective made her incautious.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 24 October 2019 - 09:36 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,203 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:02 AM

View PostG-man, on 24 October 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

Episode 3:  You know, given how many hauntings and curses pervade Horseshoe Bay, I’m thinking the town ought to be renamed Eerie.

It's been done: https://en.wikipedia.../Eerie,_Indiana

George is now subject to a number of near-death occurrences, and the spirit of yet another murdered girl interviews for a job at the Claw, and taunts George over her reliance on superstitions to protect her from a curse, neither of which she purports to believe in.

So is it definite that there are ghosts and supernatural phenomena in the show's universe, or is it ambiguous enough to allow for a mundane, hoax-based explanation like in the books?

Facebook Author Page

#15 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, it was that show that inspired my suggestion ;)

As for the supernatural elements, initially, they were something the characters debate and tease each other with, since most folk in Horseshoe Bay never have a direct encounter with the supernatural, and what evidence is captured is of a highly questionable nature and is generally dismissed.  

That said, there are weird occurrences that are happening to a number of the main characters that are not being explained, some might be hallucinations, but the show is strongly suggesting that the supernatural is very real and haunting our gang.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 25 October 2019 - 10:45 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#16 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

Episode 4:  So, Tiffany Hudson (the girl murdered in front of The Claw) has a sister who used to go out with our stoner handyman/one-time hacker Ace.

Alas, for the Hudsons whose personal coroner who ruled her death to be by natural causes (thereby allowing her broke and deeply in debt widower [Ryan] to inherit), Tiffany’s sister has returned to Horseshoe Bay, and, convinced that Tiffany was murdered, reaches out to Ace to get a recording of the 911 call Tiffany had made that night.  While Nancy agrees with the sister, Bess and George would rather take advantage of the coroner’s ruling since it absolves them of Tiffany’s murder.

Meanwhile, Bess, having picked up Tiffany’s ring is now haunted by Tiffany’s Ghost, and it is up to our gang to quiet the spirit per the instructions by George’s mom (who’s an expert on these things).  Unfortunately, at the viewing a jumpy George fails to follow instructions completely, further exacerbating her misfortunes (to be shown next week), although she did apologize to the corpse for her role in Tiffany’s life.

Bess’ other secret is now out, and it seems that she is only potentially who she claimed to be.  For her to test her claim via DNA, she needs a sample from the family who doesn’t know she exists.

Nick is trying to secure his fortune left by Tiffany, but has yet to figure out how to cash in on it.

And finally, the spirit of the Lucy Sable/Sea Queen is causing recurring patterns to manifest before Nancy possibly indicating where she had been killed.  Likewise, Dad’s lover and investigating Detective admits to have gone to school with Lucy Sable, but demurred admitting that they were apparently friends.  On the plus side, Nancy and her father finally have a frank and open discussion over mom’s grave about the source of Nancy’s discontentment.

All in all, an appropriate episode for the Halloween season.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 31 October 2019 - 12:12 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#17 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:05 AM

Episode 5:  This was certainly different.

While some progress was made on the through stories of Tiffany’s Death, and the decades cold case of Lucy Sable, the focus this time was pretty much on the Possession of George.

We got to meet and find out a bit more of George's family, and apparently, she is the level-headed grown-up who is supporting the family, while her mother pursues her studies and hobbies, and her younger siblings (each by a different sire) grow up.  Given that the sister we meet is named Ted, I’m wondering if the girls were named (in some fashion) after their fathers.

Anyhow, it seems possession by a ghost of the recently deceased is bad news, for the longer they reside in another’s body, the spirit consumes that person’s chi/soul until the only spirit inhabiting the body is the invader's.  Hence, there is some urgency to getting that spirit banished to the hereafter … however, Laura (Tiffany’s sister) doesn’t want to lose Tiffany (again), and Nancy has questions about Tiffany’s final moments.

Then, of course, there was the whole Hudson Charity Event that George agreed to cater, which will have the spirit of Tiffany crossing paths with her husband, and Ryan (Tiffany’s husband) trying to close a deal with an associate, since apparently he still get his hands on the Tiffany estate given that the case has been re-opened into her death.

Nancy finally talks to the detective about Lucy Sable (aka the Sea Queen), and manages to persuade Ryan’s associate to help her dig up the Class of 1999 Time Capsule to find some clues as to what happened to Lucy.

And it looks like Bess might get lucky with the lady driver of the coroner’s van that they had temporarily waylaid a couple of episodes ago to give Nancy time to get her blood sample from Tiffany’s body.

In short, the drama surrounding George’s possession by Tiffany served to make this feel more like a self-contained episode than an installment in an ongoing serial.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 07 November 2019 - 09:08 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#18 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:55 AM

Out of curiosity, are you all interested in these re-caps, or should I let this thread die?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#19 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:20 AM

Episode 6:  This night, it was all about the Velvet Masque, and it will prove to be a mite more convoluted than is usual, as past and present collide.

There is a link between the deaths of Lucy Sable (aka the Sea Queen) and Tiffany Hudson, and Nancy Drew is determined to discover what it is.

Some twenty years ago, Ryan Hudson (Tiffany’s widower) had invited Lucy Sable to the Velvet Masque, and that event would prove her doom.  Today, Ryan is broke, the only thing he can think of to get money is to auction off some Roman Coins he had been given by his family (unknowing of their origin), at this year’s Velvet Masque … but he needs help securing them.  Enter Nancy, who also witnesses Lucy’s attack on Ryan – and this marks the first time when such an event actually had a witness, and the two (witness and victim) could talk about it.

Bess is trying to have a date with her driver, who seems to act as driver and general dogsbody for the Hudsons, and finds that secrets (both hers and the object of her affection’s) are getting in the way of their romance.

The Claw Gang (George, Bess, Ace and Nick) are feeling left out of Nancy’s Investigations, largely thanks to her penchant to go-it-alone, and instead pursue the leads that Nick had dug up from the files that Tiffany had left behind.  What they find is a manifest of a ship full of antiquities, including some Roman Coins, which had been lost with all hands.  Then there’s the issue of the interest that town playboy and developer Josh Todd is showing towards Nancy.

Josh Todd, a member of a rival family to the Hudsons, seeks to find evidence to reveal the double-cross the Hudson’s had pulled on his family nigh two-decades earlier concerning the loss of a ship full of antiquities that was a joint venture between the two families, and a set of Roman Coins that he’s heard is up for auction would fit the bill quite nicely.

So all things come together at the Velvet Mask, as said coins had put Nancy (who gained entry thanks to Ryan) and the Claw Gang (who gained entry thanks to Laura (Tiffany’s Sister)), and Josh Todd at odds with each other.  Nancy discovers the secret that Lucy had discovered, largely helped by the rich and powerful continually showing up to this event wearing the same costumes year after year.  In the end, Nancy discovers that Mama Hudson is not a woman who appreciates having her secrets discovered by outsiders.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#20 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,832 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

Episode 7 – tonight it was all about the coins.

George’s mother arrives at the Claw warning of impending doom, tied to the Roman Coins that the gang is now in possession of.  She explains that on the new moon, the coins act as a conduit from hell, and pleads that they get rid of them for their sakes, and the sake of the town.  However, Nancy has questions she wishes to ask of Lucy Sable (aka Sea Queen), and so the gang, upon advice of George’s mother, put the coins in a lead box, which Nick is in charge of, until they are ready to ask their questions.

Laura (Tiffany’s sister) is successful in embarrassing the local authorities into reopening the investigation into Tiffany’s death.  An accusation supported by the tox-screen that Nancy’s friend in the coroner’s office ran that revealed poison in Tiffany’s system.  So, the local sheriff has called Nancy in to help him with the investigation, if only so his department isn’t disgraced when the State Police come a-calling.  Of course, given how the pre-up Tiffany had signed with Ryan Hudson was worded, he’d only inherit if she died of natural causes, but if she was murdered then her sister inherits.

Meanwhile, Nick’s digging into Tiffany’s records discovers a large lump-sum payment to Nancy’s father back in 2000 (the year Lucy Sable died), which raises some uncomfortable questions for Nancy that she doesn’t wish to consider, and leads to an estrangement between them.  Nick and Nancy also discover that Lucy’s kid brother is back in town, and so approach him in the hopes of gaining a token to serve as a link to Lucy.

In the séance, the Claw Gang get some questions answered, but at the loss of the coins that melted from the energies rushing through them, and Nancy is now forced to consider the inconceivable … that her father might have killed Lucy Sable on behalf of the Hudsons.

Mind you, while there’s been some movement on a number of storylines, this episode felt more like a chapter in a serial rather than a standalone episode.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 22 November 2019 - 01:48 PM.

-- Doc Savage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nancy Drew, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users