Nancy Drew CW

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:49 AM

Well … that certainly wasn’t the Nancy Drew I’ve come to know.

Within this CW teen melodrama set in Maine is a tremendous loss of innocence and idealism that had previously characterized Nancy Drew.

We open up with a mysterious death in 2000 of Lucy Sable, aka the Sea Queen (it was murder), that’s entered Horseshoe Bay’s legendry.  The Sea Queen is now a ghost that haunts the town, and now Nancy.

Here, we find that Nancy has closed herself off from friends and family after her mother had died from cancer.  Nancy is secretly hooking up with Ned “Nick” Nickerson (soon to be revealed as an ex-con whom her father defended), and is merely existing while working at a diner for “George,” a one-time school chum, alongside Bess (who has secrets of her own).  Her father has buried himself in work, and sought comfort in the arms of a family friend.  Meanwhile, as the town celebrates something or other (Homecoming?) the wealthy wife is murdered outside the diner, and Nancy, and her associates, are now suspects of the local police chief who resented all the times Nancy had done his job for him.

And hijinks ensue.

Now to prove her innocence, Nancy must investigate TWO murders, uncover the secrets of her associates, and compete with a police chief holding a grudge, all while resenting her father and the secrets he kept from her, and deciding whether or not to trust her lover, all while haunted by the spirit of the Sea Queen.

Had it not been called Nancy Drew, I’d consider that the CW came up with something interesting … but as it is, I may or may not follow it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 10 October 2019 - 08:16 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

I took a look at it but lost interest about 18 minutes in. Nothing about it grabbed me, and nobody in it seemed to like each other much. Maybe if I had any real investment in Nancy Drew, I would've been more interested, but maybe I would've been more turned off. (I'm sure there's a contingent of old-school fans who were offended that wholesome children's-book character Nancy Drew was introduced having casual sex. I didn't mind that, though I do find it really weird that so many TV characters have sex with their clothes on.)

What was Pamela Sue Martin's role? I saw her name in the credits but wasn't willing to stick around to find out.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:47 AM

I don't blame you ... I was 50:50 about whether to stick it out, or turn it off, and I still haven't decided whether I'll continue to watch it.  I'll probably give it one more episode.

As for Pamela Sue Martin, according to IMDB she played "Harriet Grosset" who, IIRC, was the psychic the girls visited while tracking down the locket that Nancy had discovered.

If someone could verify that the psychic/medium was Harriet Grosset, I'd appreciate it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:52 AM

I don't recall the Nancy Drew books having a supernatural bent, unless it was of the Scooby-Doo variety where there was a mundane explanation.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

The books didn't, Christopher.

This aspect is particular to this program, which is why I find it notable.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:16 PM

View PostG-man, on 10 October 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

Had it not been called Nancy Drew, I’d consider that the CW came up with something interesting … but as it is, I may or may not follow it.  
This is what I never get.  Why do something completely different and then slap an inappropriate name on it?   Just create an entirely original concept.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

I might give this another episode or two to try and win me over. It was okay but nothing great.

I understand that they want to make the show edgy and move away from the more wholesome aspects of the character but this just felt like they were trying too hard. They literally introduced us to Nancy as she is having rather loud sex with Ned. I'm fine with Nancy having sex but it felt more like shock for shock sake's.

The same with renaming Ned Nick. I mean, really?

It also sucks that Nancy is antagonistic to just about every single character. I'd be fine with that but it never felt earned.

The central mystery also didn't do that good a job of sucking me in. The murder victim is just a random socialite that we weren't able to connect with or feel sympathy for at all.

I think part of the problem is that I kept comparing it to the Veronica Mars pilot. There we knew exactly why Veronica was an outcast and didn't like anyone. We were pulled into the mystery of Lily Kane's murder and made to care about it and her. It was a wonderful pilot.

That's not to say it was all bad. I generally like the cast and the episode did keep me engaged.

I had to roll my eyes hard when Nancy left her hat behind. They weren't being chased. She could have taken the two seconds and grabbed it from off of the tree. Instead she left evidence behind that tied her directly to the break-in.

The supernatural aspects haven't won me over it. I can't tell if we're meant to believe there really is a ghost or if Nancy is just imaging things.

You know you must be old when an episode talks about how a woman was murdered a long time ago in 2000. I thought the legend of Lucy would go back to the 70s or 80s because that's what I was used to from movies and TV shows growing up. Instead it goes back to my high school years.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:52 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 October 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

I understand that they want to make the show edgy and move away from the more wholesome aspects of the character but this just felt like they were trying too hard.  
I think this sums up about 90% of the movies and TV of the 21st century.

You know you must be old when an episode talks about how a woman was murdered a long time ago in 2000. I thought the legend of Lucy would go back to the 70s or 80s because that's what I was used to from movies and TV shows growing up. Instead it goes back to my high school years.  
Welcome to my world.  My high school years were in the 70s.  :laughtears:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 October 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

The same with renaming Ned Nick. I mean, really?

Maybe they thought Ned was too old-fashioned a name. Heck, The Simpsons has probably ruined it forever.

It also sucks that Nancy is antagonistic to just about every single character. I'd be fine with that but it never felt earned.

Yeah, nobody seemed to like anybody, which was part of why I lost interest.

Facebook Author Page

#10 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,346 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

My high school years were in the 80's and all the music I listened to in high school is now considered classic rock, so, yeah, I'm right there with all of you. :crybaby:
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

They're playing Pearl Jam and Nirvana on my local Classic Rock station.  :o

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted Today, 11:34 AM

An interesting note is that Nancy is 18, suggesting she was born in 2001, which means that 2000 is literally from before her time (talk about feeling old :( ).  It may have possibly been when her father was courting her mother, suggesting that they might’ve been high school sweethearts who personally knew Lucy Sable/Sea Queen and were married before he went to get his law degree.  Leading back to Ryan Hudson (George’s lover, and local rich guy) who was a school chum of Dad’s, and he (or his family) might have had something to do with Lucy Sable as well.

Anyhow …

Episode 2: I was kind of tuning in and out of this one. The whole lack of trust/trustworthiness is wearing on me, as is the ghost and Nancy’s tendency to “go it alone” when she does her B&E’s.  That she gets caught is refreshing, and I liked that she and George did demonstrate (kind of) their trustworthiness to each other. That George was rumored the “school slut” and Nancy did nothing is regrettable … especially among those she considered friends (at least until Nancy became preoccupied with her Mother’s diagnosis and subsequent death), since that inaction is antithetical to the classic Nancy Drew.

Now, I’m guessing that the “Sea Queen” ceremony might have been part of the Homecoming Ceremony (maybe), but that the town also has the Sea Water ceremony … I’m really beginning to wonder at this town and its mythology.

Anyhow, Nancy now has an operational Roadster to tear around town in, and George is destined to die this year according to superstition … although I can see how that superstition could be used to play a cruel prank on someone.  But who would do that to George?

While I do not wholly buy her father’s explanation regarding the dress; it was nice that there was something approaching a rapprochement between the two of them, even if it did require Nancy being locked up in order to achieve it.

I just wish show this was a little less soap-opery, and more a straight up murder mystery.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, Today, 11:37 AM.

-- Doc Savage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nancy Drew, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users