Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

CW's Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew CW

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:14 PM

You know what would have been TRULY original, and not so very CWish?  Letting Nancy Drew be Nancy Drew.  We don't have a good mystery procedural on the CW, and that could have been really cool, and fun.  There are ways to accommodate modern sensibilities within a wholesome drama.  Why NOT let it be?  After all - we've already done whatever it is they did to Riverdale.  But there it is. RIverdale succeeds as whatever it is now (and what it became in the comics before RIverdale was a show) and everything must take that same path.

I'm waiting for Scooby-Doo to get the same treatment.  

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#22 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:52 AM

Agreed.

One of the things I still lament is the lack of innocence on display in this show, but at least we're seeing a degree of camaraderie developing between Nancy and the Claw Gang as they deal with their escapades and supernatural experiences.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 05 December 2019 - 10:53 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#23 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:48 PM

Episode 8:  Well, this was one of the scarier episodes they had; but again it felt more like an installment rather than a standalone episode.

Last week ended with Ace and Laura (Tiffany’s sister, and Ace’s paramour) being involved in a car-crash even as Nancy now confronts her father with the question of his role with the Sea Queen’s demise.  Things do not go well.

Apparently, Horseshoe Bay’s police chief has been looking out for Ace ever since Ace’s father was involved in a car-crash.  After spotting Ace’s spirit going walkabout, the Chief breaks out his [presumably] Native American spirit kit and discovers that someone has been mucking about with the spirit plane, leading to a humorous confession from Bess summing up the gang’s supernatural activities after he confronts them.  Frankly, his assessment that our gang have been “reckless” in their investigations is pretty much spot on.

Alas, I missed mention of Laura’s fate (she was driving), but I’m guessing she’s dead.  Meanwhile, evidence has been uncovered that the crash was no accident and all signs point to the Hudsons as the guilty party.  While gathering evidence, our gang discovers that Bess’s romantic interest is actually with the state police working undercover to investigate the Hudsons; meanwhile George’s kid sister, Teddy, is placed in the Claw’s storage room during Mom’s absence, while George and the others do their thing.

So, this time it is the Police Chief conducting the ceremony within the Drew House (it is a holy space being in sight of both mountain and ocean), in the hopes that one of them (Chief, George, Carson Drew or Nancy Drew) can access the spirit plane and guide Ace’s spirit back to his body.  Of course, it’s the daughter of the clairvoyant [George] who enters a realm, that is littered with flotsam from their previous encounters and roiled up by the conflict that Nancy and her father are having.  After some perilous encounters, and Carson promising Nancy full(ish) disclosure viz Lucy Sable, George’s quest is successful and uncovers a clue as to who was responsible for the crash.

In the end, a corrupt cop goes down, Ace’s spirit is back home, Bess’s lover’s cover has been preserved, and someone has snatched Teddy (with the spirit inhabited electronic toy blinking both yes and no).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#24 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:16 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 04 December 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

You know what would have been TRULY original, and not so very CWish?  Letting Nancy Drew be Nancy Drew.  
You mean actually be faithful to the source material?  That's a rare phenomenon.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#25 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:32 AM

Episode 9:  The mid-season finale.  Tonight it was all about the kidnapping of Teddy (George’s kid sister), and harkens back to Nancy Drew’s first case which involved a hidden staircase.

This one was definitely a more self-contained episode that, while it did advance some plotlines, was thankfully focused on the recovery of George’s kid sister.  Naturally, the police get involved, the town rallies, posters go up, an anonymous tip line is established … but what really tips off Nancy is a waxy spiral left behind in the store room.  That waxy spiral was identical to the one connected with the missing person case that got Nancy started on her detecting career back when she was 12 (approx. 6 years ago), and was a detail that the police did not release.

Naturally, this leads her back to the kidnapper, reconnect with the girl, and then comes to realize there was a supernatural entity (the Tall Man alias Simon) involved.  The little girl only remembers him from a dream, but Nancy has a flash of a memory that enables her to visualize that dream, suggesting that maybe it wasn’t a dream, and perhaps the site where the girl was discovered needs to be revisited.  Josh Todd, while helping put up posters and fronting the money for a reward for Teddy’s return, provides Nancy with the lowdown on the warehouse where the girl had been discovered.

Nick wants to accompany her, for even though they broke up, he still cares.  Nancy pushes him away, so he calls Nancy’s father.  Naturally, the police detective who became Carson Drew’s lover, is at the house coordinating search efforts at the Drew House, and finds that the kidnapper has had a regular visitor – suggesting a copycat is on the loose.  As Carson and Nancy go through the building, Nancy is started to get more and more flashes of what had occurred and suspects that something had tampered with her usually reliable memory.  Before she can find the secret entrance, she needs to see the newspaper photo of the site that was taken when she had solved the case, leading Carson to call home to have the Detective snap a picture and text it to him, which unfortunately leads to the Detective seeing Nancy’s journal sitting on the bed.

In the end, George and Nick discover where the copycat is hanging out and recover Teddy, much to George’s relief.  Bess finally gets to talk with Josh Todd, and requests a DNA sample in order to establish whether or not they are related.  He agrees, but wants a DNA sample in return so he can have his own tests run, thereby verifying any results, because his family is subject to many requests for DNA from those who claim to be relations.  And finally, thanks to the evidence found in Nancy’s Journal where she works out her thinking in trying to figure out what’s going on, Carson Drew is arrested for the murder of Lucy Sable.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 12 December 2019 - 11:16 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#26 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

Episode 10:  Oy, a lot happened in this episode.

So, two weeks after the events of the midseason finale finds Lucy Sable absent, Dad in jail accused of Lucy Sable’s murder, Nancy pushing away everyone she’s hurt (i.e. her friends and family), Ace returning to work with arm in a sling, Bess getting confirmation that she IS related to the Todds (proving to be Josh’s first cousin) and the coroner Nancy reached out to for the Tox-Exam informing her that he identified a very rare poison from Tiffany’s blood sample, and given that this isn’t something they normally test for it could easily pass unnoticed for natural causes.  This launches Nancy into a new line of investigation pursuing deaths that might have been caused by the same poison and thereby identify Tiffany’s murderer.

The on-going narrative:

Ryan Hudson is out of rehab, sold his home, and has come to the Claw to apologize to George for how he had treated her.

Now, Josh Todd, in addition to providing confirmation to Bess has come to collect the ancient Roman Coins which Ned admits were destroyed.  So they decide to team-up going over the ship’s manifest that Tiffany had dug up – spotting Ryan, Bess and Josh approach him in an attempt to recruit him in aiding their investigation into the sinking of that ship that the Hudson’s collected the insurance on (both ship and cargo), by locating more of the cargo that had supposedly been lost, which Ryan is reluctant to do since it would implicate his father not only in insurance fraud, but murder.

The stand-alone episode:

Nancy, in the company of Ace, meets Ace’s father who apparently became deaf during his career and was forced to retire.  Ace’s father had been investigating three apparent suicides that he was sure was murder, having received three messages taunting him to solve their deaths.  Nancy and Ace discover that any hidden message wasn’t in the text of the letters, but rather was in the images that accompanied them, and by overlaying one over the other a message is revealed that would’ve enabled Ace’s father to possibly have stopped the murders.  Needless to state, Ace’s father is not happy at this revelation, but he hands over the obituaries to Nancy in the hopes that they can identify just who had died.

Much to Nancy’s annoyance, the Claw Gang refuse to let her investigate on her own, and proceed to crack the case, support Nancy as she runs to the rescue, and consequently rescue her from her own impulsiveness, thanks to an assist from Ace’s dad.  Turns out the murderer had nothing to do with Tiffany’s death, but could still be brought to justice for the other three deaths as well as the attempted murder of Nancy Drew.

Still, as a result of her near-death experience, Lucy Sable has returned, Nancy finds out that she has friends and collaborators in the Claw Gang whether she likes it or not, and Nancy finally accepts a call from her imprisoned father.  Separately, Ryan calls Josh claiming to have not found anything even as he strokes an ancient(?) urn, and advising that they should not rely on him to help them any further.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 16 January 2020 - 11:12 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#27 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:46 AM

My baby sister loved the Nancy Drew books. My stepmother used to read them to her at bedtime. My memory of the character was that she was a young teenager.

Just looked it up- the original character was 16.

I gave the series a shot, but found it, well, unwatchable, at least for me.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#28 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

That’s understandable.

I confess some surprise that I’m enjoying this series so much, given how much a departure from the source material it is, and the fact that it is delving into supernatural horror (something I am not a fan of).

What I like most is how the friendships are developing between Nancy and the Claw Gang, as they become the fearsome crime-fighting team that they’re destined to be.  What I like least is the soap-opery melodrama, and the supernatural bits.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#29 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:41 PM

Episode 11:  Tonight it was all about the Bonny Scot and the downfall of Ernest Hudson.

Carson Drew remains silent while in prison, but Nancy is determined to free him even if it means making a deal with the devil, the patriarch of clan Hudson, Ernest Hudson.  Ernest is willing to help exonerate Carson in return for Nancy discovering just what Josh has discovered about them.  Lucy Sable leaves an indication that something concerning her death is hidden within Hudson Manor, as well as indicating where the old files from when Nancy’s mother served as a guidance counselor for the school where Lucy was a student.

Bess is nervous about meeting the matriarch, Diana Marvin, who is the aunt of Josh Todd, but is more than happy to advance her relationship with the undercover detective … going so far as to show off her mobile home and confessing that she was born in London, England and had worked to eliminate her accent.  She is encouraged to simply embrace herself, and be genuine.  Much to her surprise, she is welcomed.

Josh has located a survivor of the wreck of the Bonny Scot, who is an illegal immigrant who is haunted by the spirits of the other victims.

Meanwhile, the owner of the Bayside Claw wants to sell the property much to the distress of George who, while conceding the diner is struggling (it being the off season), has plans to turn things around but needs time to save the only place she felt was home.  Alas, time is something she does not have.

In the end, Bess finds herself included at a dinner between the Marvins and their arch-rivals the Hudsons, with innuendos and accusations flying fast and furious between them.  In the wake of the Ernest’s arrest in front of his family AND their rivals, thanks to Nancy setting him up, Ryan thinks it’s time he assumes the role of patriarch, while his mother decides to have Carson Drew killed a) to silence him and spare the family from further embarrassing revelations; and b) to send Nancy a message about the cost of crossing the Hudsons.

And Nick, who was still in possession of all those bonds that Ryan would love to get his hands on, has submitted a bid to buy the Bayside Claw to help George.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 23 January 2020 - 02:50 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#30 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

Episode 12:  Now we meet Lucy Sable’s mother …

Bess, having been welcomed by the Marvins, is to meet the person who is to mentor her in the world of business and finance.

Meanwhile, having read her mother’s file on Lucy Sable, from the time when mom was Lucy’s guidance counselor, Nancy discovers that Lucy was fearful of her own mother, providing Nancy another thread to follow.

At the Claw, George is becoming miffed by all the suggestions being made by her “silent partner” Nick, when they are recruited by Nancy to break into an asylum where Lucy’s mom is being held.  Unfortunately for them, they have to break in through a sealed section of an old estate where the asylum is based, and not only can our gang cannot get phone service, but it seems that the asylum is haunted.  Admittedly, this haunting was thanks to our gang’s little séance attempt that unleashed many a restless spirit unto Horseshoe Bay.

In prison, Carson Drew receives the first intimation that his life is in danger.  He calls up the Claw in the hopes of getting his daughter, and instead gets Ace, who hopes that he can convince Ryan Hudson (who is now running the Hudson Clan) to call off the hit.  Well, Ryan is currently having lunch at the same place Bess is getting her first lesson, by shadowing her dismissive mentor, and things could go better.  In short, after Ace’s unsuccessful appeal, he calls on Bess for help, attracting the attention of the mentor.

In the end, Ace breaks Carson out of jail to buy time while Bess arrives at an accommodation with Ryan Hudson to help save Carson’s life, Nick bonds with George, and Nancy runs into another dead end with the mother, and becomes trapped within the haunted room at the asylum.

I confess, I rather like the George-Nick pairing, and hope they go somewhere with it.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#31 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:59 PM

Episode 13 – tonight it is all about Nancy.

I confess, this one was difficult for me to watch as they amped up the spookiness.

When we last left our heroine she was trapped unconscious in a haunted chamber (hereafter known as the whisperbox), while the gang waited anxiously outside.

Now we find Nancy in a joyful place, with her mother alive and well, and her friends all well-adjusted and loving.  Carson’s client Ned/Nick has bought a new house from Ryan Hudson, and wishes to have it investigated as he feels it is haunted.  So, Nancy agrees to go, and soon discovers the locked Door to the chamber, to which there was no key.  Clinging to the notion that she’s in some kind of delusional wonderland, she figures this is the way out, but must investigate the matter to discover the key.  Meanwhile, the last image she saw keeps on reappearing within this world.

On the outside, our gang must trust an inmate of the asylum who pulled the fire alarm to help them get Nancy out of there.  Slipping past the authorities, they find the room and break in, and when they tried to remove Nancy from it, she starts to suffer a seizure, which means they must leave her there.  Somehow, Nancy must figure a way out, and the only thing our gang can do is be there for her , and supply moral support.

Well, Nancy, still trapped, is receiving their well-wishes which drop in the form of small blue envelopes, even as she and Nick approach Ryan about the Key.  Ryan informs her that she had hidden the key, but if she were to ask, he could provide her with three, admittedly cryptic, clues to help her recover it.  Nancy, is finding life in this delusion ever more attractive, but remains determined to find a way out despite the pleas of the others.  In the end, the mystery to leaving laid in her own past, and her own regret for not being able to say goodbye to her mother.  And it was, as her mother taught her, her desire to seek the Truth no matter how much it hurt, that allowed her to escape this purgatory, and enabled our gang to vacate the asylum before it blew up.

Having escaped, and returned home, she finds her father there waiting for her (albeit under house arrest), and figures out the significance of the clue that led her into the whisperbox in the first place.  It seems that Tiffany Hudson had been looking into the death of Lucy Sable, and it was her investigation that might well have gotten her killed.  Pity that Nancy is bound on the same path.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 06 February 2020 - 02:02 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#32 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:45 PM

Episode 14 – finally it is about Tiffany Hudson

So, Lucy’s mother has settled into giving a hand at the Claw, pretty much freaking out the Claw Gang, when Nancy pulls out her chart of connections in a final attempt to figure out what had happened to Tiffany.

Bess is caught between wanting to please her mentor, but is afraid that relationship is going to interfere with her love-life.  George, quite naturally, is telling her to secure her love-life and just hope for the best with the mentor … it is a matter of prioritizing.  OTOH, George is annoyed at the further projects her “silent partner” keeps giving her as a means of promoting the Claw.

Laurel (Tiffany’s sister), who had thus far gone unmentioned for a number of episodes, breezes into the Claw after her recovery from the near death experience, in the hopes of whisking her lover, Ace, away to Paris, now that the police have declared Tiffany’s death a murder.

Alas, things take an eerie turn after an unfortunate encounter between the chart and Lucy’s mother.  The result being that as Lucy’s mom is claimed by her son, who is finding her another assisted care facility, as the old asylum burned down.  

Basically, our gang decides that everything hangs on Ryan Hudson, whom they contact, in order that they might actually recreate what happened that night Tiffany died.  Going through the re-enactment they discover there was a time when the food was left unsupervised, and the salad rejected by Ryan had been accidentally repurposed for Tiffany’s dinner-plate … which meant that Tiffany died by accident, Ryan had been the intended target.  But who would wish Ryan dead?

With supernatural assistance, Nancy determines that someone had been listening outside the window that night, and therefore would’ve known what Ryan had ordered (his being the sole salad, of a table of French fries.

In tracking down possibilities, they visit the local library, in which to track down how Tiffany was hiding her digital signature, and in doing so, Ace and Nancy stumble across the old e-mail thread between Lucy and Ryan, including their final messages.  Nancy, then tracks where Lucy had access to a computer, and lo, it is the garage run by Lucy’s brother where Nick worked and lived.  At the confrontation with the brother, all comes out, and as he tries to off Nancy, he accidentally electrocutes himself.  So, everything is wrapped up, save that the poison used was a very rare one and not something that the brother should’ve had access to, and when the police go in to examine the scene, the corpse is missing.

So, they have [mostly] solved Tiffany’s murder, and are a step closer in unraveling just what happened to Lucy Sable.

All in all, I found this more procedural type episode to be satisfying, even if it does leave a number of issues open.  The gang are kind of moving forward with their individual stories, and Nancy continues to shot-gun her way through her investigations (essentially, start throwing accusations based off of incomplete evidence).  At the same time, the tension remains between her and the detective (ex-lover of Carson Drew), who insists she was merely doing her job, when she used what was in Nancy’s Journal to make an arrest of Carson.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#33 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

Episode 15 – wrapping up loose ends.

So, at the end of the last episode they had identified just what had happened to Tiffany Hudson, and that she had accidentally gotten the poison that was meant for her husband.  However, the question remained, the poison was a refined exotic that was not commonly available, especially to the general public, so how could Lucy Sable’s brother have gotten some?

Likewise, Carson Drew is about to enter an evidentiary meeting that is sure to convict him on the basis of what Nancy had uncovered, and only a miracle will get him acquitted.  So, Nancy is off in search of a miracle … thank goodness it is “Harbor Day” which celebrates the founding of Horseshoe Bay and naturally, there is a legend connected to it.

So, the Claw Gang, plus Josh are at the diner, with everyone checking to make sure Nancy is OK, and also to figure out how the electrocuted guy had escaped from his garage in the presence of the police.  Ace and Nick go to the police station in the hopes of trying to find some connection between the Episode 10 murderer, and Lucy Sable’s brother.  Fortunately, Ace’s dad is there to provide an assist …

Bess, Josh, and George are at the historical society to find out how to summon the Ogadook (not its actual name, but it’s as close as I can recall it), since everyone in town has tried it without success, which is probably just as well since the person asking the favor would be crying blood should the favor be granted. However, in the face of the lack of success it was thought that by exploring the records of the founders (including the Marvins (the family Bess is now part of)) they might find some ceremony that had been forgotten.  Naturally, there is a price to be paid for the granting of a wish.

Then it is a matter of Nancy and Josh (who SO has a crush on her) go out of town to follow up with Ryan’s college mate to verify whether Ryan had a relationship with Lucy Sable, and whether there was any indication to whether or not they were to meet again that night in August.  As they’re about to head back a vision of Lucy reveals that she apparently had begged a favor from the Ogadook, which had been granted, and then behind Nancy’s car is a field of Lucy’s bones.

So, as things come together, Ace and Nick discover that the poison which had been in lock up had been left exposed when the refrigerator went on the fritz.  Uncovering who had done the work and who had signed for it, they (with Nancy) break into the evidence locker to find that the vial marked poison was filled with water … which, when combined with the work order signature, and supporting video footage of her chastising Lucy’s brother for killing the wrong Hudson, would lead to the arrest of the Detective/Carson’s lover/Lucy’s best friend as an accessory to murder.

Finally, there’s the ceremony our gang, plus Josh, perform.  Their wish is granted and washed ashore are Lucy’s bones … however, Josh is trapped in the water and a gash appears on his arm, causing blood to drip into the water, before our gang to rent asunder the talisman they had made.  Afterwards, Nick goes home with George, to sleep on the couch as his home is currently a crime scene, Ace drives Bess over to Nancy’s house since things are still not safe, and Nancy and Josh get together.  The next morning, Nancy coughs up the broken talisman.

All in all, a rather enjoyable episode with all the call backs to tie the threads of the season together, heading into what might prove to be the season climax.  Despite the discrediting of the detective who charged Carson with murder, they still need to figure out what did happen that night Lucy died and pray that it exonerates Nancy’s dad.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 05 March 2020 - 01:42 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#34 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:46 AM

Episode 16 – OK, I must confess, I did not see this twist coming.

When we last left our gang, Carson Drew’s evidentiary hearing is being held that day, our gang had recovered Lucy Sable’s bones from the bay, and the case of Tiffany Hudson’s murder had been solved-ish.

Unfortunately, the very day when Nancy’s friend the coroner arrives to examine Lucy’s bones at the Claw, is also the day when the Detective’s replacement arrives on the scene to look for clues to continue to build the case against said Detective for the death of Tiffany Hudson.  Naturally, hijinks ensue, as the Claw Gang seek to keep their activities hidden from the authorities until such time as they get their answers.

Nancy returns to Ryan Hudson when she noticed a discrepancy in the typing rules within the e-mail chain between him and Lucy.  (NOTE:  I believe the single space after a period, I believe was introduced in the 2000s, not the 1990s, for purposes of posting online, as opposed to the traditional two spaces after the period that was taught in 20th century typing classes.  Of course, this is 1999/2000 so … who knows?).  From Ryan she finds out what happened on that last day (he had arrived too late to do anything), and discovers that the “usual spot” wasn’t where everyone presumed it was.  Visiting that spot, they speak to the ice-cream lady who pointed them in the direction of Ryan’s father, which coincides with the IP Address that the anomalous e-mail was sent from -- thanks to Ace tracking it down while hiding from the cops, with the coroner and Lucy’s bones, in the Claw’s cold storage unit.  During this whole exchange, it turns out that Ryan had genuinely been in love with Lucy, and his family objected and used every means at their disposal to destroy the girl.

All this brings them back to Lucy’s old house, where Lucy really doesn’t want them entering, but Nancy and Ryan persist, and manage to find Lucy’s Journal.

This leads to Nancy’s testimony, reading from Lucy’s Journal to exonerate her father.  What had happened to Lucy Sable that night twenty years ago?  Due to circumstances, she had committed suicide.

However, she did not commit suicide before she gave birth to a daughter, who would then be taken by the Drew Family to raise as their own.

After the hiatus, in April, we’ll be dealing with the ramifications of this revelation.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 12 March 2020 - 08:52 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#35 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:45 PM

Episode 17 – this one was all about the Euglayka (sp?)

So our gang managed to demonstrate Carson Drew’s innocence in the death of Lucy Sable, after petitioning the supernatural assistance of the Euglayka – even while aware that there was a cost associated with their petition should she choose to grant it.

In the afterglow of their success, Nancy, who is very much involved with Josh Todd, is still reeling from the revelation that SHE is Lucy Sable’s daughter, which makes her the off-spring of Ryan Hudson.  A revelation that she’d really rather not have get out, and so she’s pretty much cutting herself off from family and friends, if not lovers, as is her wont.  Bess is excited to be (kinda) the center of attention of a family do, where she’ll get to meet the rest of the Marvin clan.  While George and Nick continue to dance around their mutual attraction, while attempting to preserve boundaries, even as Victoria, George’s mom, has decreed that Nick has spent his last night at their house, even as George’s little sisters recognize that Nick’s on the couch because mom wants him to stay out of George’s bed.

Unfortunately for Nancy and the Claw gang, they are all suffering from supernatural portents suggesting that the Euglayka is still expecting payment for services rendered.  How might they appease/elude the Euglayka that won’t result in one of them dying?  Our gang scrambles to find the answer, but discover that given it was Nancy who made the request, she would be the focus for the remedy which also requires the presence of her blood relative.

Meanwhile, Ryan secured a copy of Lucy’s journal and finds evidence that Lucy Sable may well have been pregnant and he is determined to get verification.  Given that Lucy’s kid was his, he is interested in discovering what had happened to her offspring.  Enter Nancy asking for a favor, even though she is being cagey about the whys and wherefores of her request.  The two visit the out-of-town clinic and OB/GYN that Lucy had used to get answers, and on the way back, as Nancy tries to figure out how Ryan might react to her revelation, suffers an attack of the portents, and ends up ranting at him at what a horrible person he turned out to be after Ryan expressed his willingness to participate in the ceremony if it enabled him to get his own back against his family’s rivals.  Not being able to contact Nancy, George and Nick (ignorant of Nancy’s pedigree) go to Carson to see if he’d be willing to participate in the ceremony that they found the instructions to appease a non-human supernatural entity.

So the gang show up at the Marvin estate where Bess is being presented to the family.  Ryan arrives at the event, and confronts Nancy from whom the Truth finally comes out about their connection.  When Nancy arrives with Ryan, to everyone’s confusion, they perform the ceremony and find out about Nancy and Ryan, and at its conclusion everyone hopes this is the end of the matter … until Bess blurts out that if Ryan is Nancy’s father, then George had an affair with Nancy’s dad.  Needless to state, this was not a welcomed observation to our gang.

I tell you, between Nancy and Bess, I don’t know who possesses less awareness of circumstances when words tumble out of their mouths.

Anyhow, as the gang disperse they are assailed by even more intense portents, and Victoria (George’s mother, and the resident expert on the occult and supernatural) observes that they had misdiagnosed what the spirit was, thereby enraging it further.  Apparently the Euglayka was not an non-human entity, but rather a person who would became a Sea Witch, with Josh Todd being descended from one of those who had condemned her to her fate.  Rushing back into the house, they find Josh in a tub that is filling with his blood.

One would think that given how often things go wrong when they apply for supernatural assistance, the gang (and Nancy) would get a clue and not mess about with the supernatural.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#36 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 12:01 PM

Episode 18 – Who murdered Owen Marvin?

So, Owen Tiberius Marvin (who, all this time, I thought was named Josh Todd) is dead … and our gang is worried that the disgruntled Euglayka is going to come for them next.

Now, it occurs to me that Nancy appears to have two modes, a self-destructive one, and an investigative one.  Anyhow, Bess’ girlfriend in the state police are questioning Nancy, who is sure that it is she who got him killed (she didn’t).  Meanwhile, the Marvins are determined to have their own specialists do the autopsy, as opposed to allowing it to be performed by the state examiner’s office.

Our gang figures if the death is presaged by a portent, they should have a séance (after all, they’re getting pretty good at conducting those) and maybe the spirit of Owen would provide them with the clues they need in order to survive the Euglayka’s wrath.  The Euglayka has other ideas.

Prior to the séance Ryan Hudson shows up to check up on Nancy, who is unreceptive to his overture … noting that the women in Ryan’s life generally don’t fare well (e.g.  Lucy Sable, Tiffany Hudson).  Unfortunately, this reminds George that she too was a woman in Ryan’s life, and her intimacy issues (i.e. PDAs) with Ned may be due to the nature of her illicit relationship with Ryan.

After the failed séance our gang scurries to dig up further information about the Euglayka, in particular, who was she before she became the Euglayka?  At the Town’s Historical Center the custodian points the gang in the direction of the reputable paper to discover who the Euglayka had been, but is surprised to find that her visitors had actually seen the Euglayka and points up, traditionally, the Euglayka doesn’t take the supplicants who had disappointed her in any order, but rather all at once.  With this revelation, Ace and Nancy decide to collaborate with the state police to find out who murdered Owen.

At the Marvin shiva-sitting (news to me that they were Jewish) Bess, George and Ned arrive to sleuth about, while allowing Bess to fulfill her familial obligations – thinking maybe among the family is their suspect.  Bess tries to ingratiate herself with the clan and be helpful, but a cousin is determined to freeze her out and handle things herself; leaving Bess possibly the first among them to offer the Matriarch her commiserations.  As George and Ned mingle and get to know the clan, they discover that Owen, who appeared to be too good to be true, was truly that good, and was possibly the only one who was wholly beloved by his entire dysfunctional clan.  Outside of the Marvin Estate, George has her moment of closure with Ryan who is visibly upset at how upset George is … while he admits he acted stupidly in taking advantage of a 17-year-old’s crush, he did not admit to acting selfishly, nor offering an apology (sigh, the boy still has a way to go).  But hopefully, this will open a path for George to forge a normal relationship with Ned.

Anyhow, mounting evidence reveals to Nancy that it was Lucy’s brother who murdered Owen … and in the confrontation with him, he confesses that he hadn’t intended to murder Owen, but rather coerce him to text Nancy to lure her to her doom, and was genuinely baffled that Owen was more concerned about Nancy’s safety than his own.  At the revelation that Nancy is Lucy’s daughter, he becomes discombobulated, and stumbles off the roof only to be rescued by Ace and Nancy just as the police arrive to take him into custody.  Hopefully, this brings an end of the Lucy Sable family saga, as new plot threads are introduced.

So, as our gang try to settle back into their lives, portents manifest revealing how each will die … even as Bess, now ensconced within the Marvin household notices in a painting done by “Admiral” Marvin, her many times great grandfather (a great sailor, but one beset by much tragedy), that amongst the waves is an image of Euglayka.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 23 April 2020 - 01:50 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#37 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,735 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:11 PM

Well ... much to my surprise last week's episode proved to be the season finale.

So I guess this means that Season 1 was all about Nancy Drew and the murders of Lucy Sable (her mother) and Tiffany Hudson.  In the meantime, they also developed the Claw Gang, established some of the locales and lore of Horseshoe Bay, and established the feuding Hudsons and Marvins, managing to tie in Bess, Nancy and George.  All in all, I really enjoyed witnessing the coalescence of the Claw Gang … and I really like the Diner itself.  That actually seems like a nice place to take a meal … provided one can manage to find it open, and the staff on the job.

I’m guessing that next season might see the attempted redemption of Ryan Hudson; as our gang continues to dig into the Marvins’ family history to discover just who the Aglaeca (certainly not how I was hearing it pronounced) was before she became the Sea Hag/Sea Witch.

But what of Carson Drew?

He kind of just vanished, presumably to give Nancy her space, but that seems rather … convenient.  I’m not about Nancy-Carson angst, especially if Ryan’s going to be giving Carson grief over what had happened.  But they spent all season showing Carson’s genuine concern for Nancy, and him trying to be there for her when she shut him out (and got him arrested – thanks to her investigations); I’m thinking the least she can do is accept that he did raise her, he did his best to protect her, and that perhaps she can learn to be more tolerant towards him.

Was this Nancy Drew?  I’m going to say, “No”.  It just strayed too far from the tone, optimism, and innocence of the original series where Nancy was more involved with cases concerning Theft or Fraud, and uncovering the plots meant to evoke the supernatural.  So, this simply falls under the category of a series that happens to bear the same name.

Did I enjoy the series?  Yes.  And I’d be willing to tune into next season, despite horror not being my thing.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nancy Drew, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users