Batwoman DC CW

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image

GOODBYE TO THE BAT - As the city waits impatiently for another visit from who they think is Batman, Alice (Rachel Skarsten) continues to taunt Kate (Ruby Rose) with a secret but also sets her sights on Jacob (Dougray Scott) and Catherine (Elizabeth Anweis). Kate is visited by Tommy Elliot (guest star Gabriel Mann), a childhood friend of her cousin who has finally realized his lifelong dream of being wealthier than Bruce Wayne and throws a party so all of Gotham can celebrate his success. Mary (Nicole Kang) gets an unexpected new bestie when Sophie (Meagan Tandy) is assigned to protect her. Luke (Camrus Johnson) and Kate work together to uncover who may have taken a valuable weapon from Batman's arsenal. And as Batwoman faces a new enemy, Kate realizes she must either walk away from her new role or fully embrace the mantle as Gotham's new hope.

Read more: Listings - BATWOMAN on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz62wJeDVOt

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

This was a nice episode. I liked that Kate finally got her own Batwoman suit and has accepted the mission to defend Gotham.

I hope that moving forward Alice takes a backseat. She is an interesting villain and I've come to like her more over these past two episodes than I did in the pilot but I am ready to see Batwoman take on different bad guys.

That did happen here with Thomas. I was surprised he was so open about his plans and his knowledge of Bruce's secret identity. I thought that might be a plot line that slowly grew over the season. Instead he is carted off to Arkham at the end of the episode. Hush we hardly knew ye.

It looks like Kate might finally see that Alice is not Beth, at least not completely. She likes to kill people and she enjoys mind games. She is not going to give up her vendetta on their father.

I want to know more about Alice's nightmare. Unless I'm mistaken that was someone's face she found right there at the end.

Sophie's husband Tyler returns and has no clue his wife used to date Kate. That's going to be awkward when he finds out.

Mary isn't going to be able to run her clinic if Sophie is on her 24/7. I did like that we saw more of Mary's competent, bad ass side this episode.

I wonder what the playing cards Alice left for Catherine mean?

Kate gets a potential romance partner here. Well, maybe. She could have just been a one-off character.

I feel like this show has been improving every episode. I'm hoping that now since the origin stuff is out of the way we can really get into the meat of the series and move away from all Alice, all the time.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:22 PM

I like the "origin story" of the Batwoman costume here - I was wondering why she would bother with that hair, but it made sense as part of giving her version a more immediately-recognizable-as-female look.  Though it's really feeling a bit of a stretch that a number of people haven't immediately realized it's her - especially Thomas in this episode, given that he knows she's aware of Bruce's secret.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

OK, some thoughts on Batwoman.

1.  I don’t think that the Ex- was happy with the notion that Kate could replace her so fast, certainly her expression as Kate and the Barkeep interacted would suggest that.

2.  The Ex’s husband … OK, normally guys aren’t attuned so much to relationships, and had the Ex- simply mentioned that she had been friends with the boss’s daughter at the academy, that would’ve been the end of the matter as far as hubby is concerned.  But she didn’t.  She didn’t mention Kate at all.  He finds out about the connection from Kate, and so the Ex has lost control of the narrative as her silence now has him asking all kinds of questions she’d rather he didn’t ask.

3.  The step-mom … Yeah, I’m still going with wicked step-mom, since I cannot conceive of why she didn’t want the knife checked, and seems really, REALLY disturbed by the reappearance of Beth, more than she is by the threat Alice represents.

4.  Tommy, Kate, and Luke … That was strange.  That Tommy was a friend and rival of Bruce I could buy, as was the notion that he felt cheated because he was denied his inheritance while saddled with the responsibility of tending to his mother, thanks to Batman.  I still am wondering just what caused him to make the connection between Bruce and Batman, did I miss something, or is this something they’ll explain later.  That he knew just where the arsenal was in a supposedly secure facility is … well, with money and resources I suppose, but it does leave the question, why wasn’t the arsenal secured down in the supposedly secret Batcave?

I did like that Kate could commiserate with Mary about getting assigned a security detail, while the Ex is left in the dark.  I also liked that Mary was willing to drop her pose in order to help the injured lady … so, YAY, Mary!

Still, this was a good episode, and I do like that Kate Kane had to talk herself into picking up the mantle Bruce dropped, and make it her own.  After all, costumed crusading isn’t an occupation that one casually enters.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:31 PM

Oh, and finally, I hope that Batwoman’s opponents also include supernatural figures rather than simply Batman’s old foes, since the comic did feature storylines that were wholly unique to Batwoman.  It’s just that Alice kind of became her arch-nemesis, which is probably why they began with introducing her and the family drama.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 22 October 2019 - 01:31 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

View PostG-man, on 22 October 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

1.  I don’t think that the Ex- was happy with the notion that Kate could replace her so fast, certainly her expression as Kate and the Barkeep interacted would suggest that.

Huh? Sophie literally nodded at Kate to indicate that she was glad to see Kate moving on. She probably has some ambivalence about it, sure, but her outward expression was approving.

I still am wondering just what caused him to make the connection between Bruce and Batman, did I miss something, or is this something they’ll explain later.

Tommy said that one of Batman's nemeses "riddled him" the answer. Presumably a certain Mr. Nygma told him. I think there was a comics story not too long ago revealing that the Riddler had figured out Batman's identity but kept it to himself to continue the game, or some such reason.

That he knew just where the arsenal was in a supposedly secure facility is … well, with money and resources I suppose, but it does leave the question, why wasn’t the arsenal secured down in the supposedly secret Batcave?

Same reason it isn't in the Nolan movies, I assume -- because it's part of Wayne Enterprises. Batman can't single-handedly invent and build this multimillion-dollar cutting-edge hardware, he needs to misappropriate his company's resources to do it.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,619 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:43 PM

I definitely picked up on Sophie’s ambivalence, but I’m thinking the nod was more an acknowledgement rather than any sign of approval, as Sophie still has some unresolved issues concerning Kate that she needs to work through rather than suppress.

Personally, though, I’m far more fascinated by the Kate-Mary dynamic, as that actually seems relatively functional compared to some of the other (non-romantic) relationships Kate is in.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

I like the "origin story" of the Batwoman costume here - I was wondering why she would bother with that hair, but it made sense as part of giving her version a more immediately-recognizable-as-female look.  Though it's really feeling a bit of a stretch that a number of people haven't immediately realized it's her - especially Thomas in this episode, given that he knows she's aware of Bruce's secret.

It's also better than the comics where Kate has long fiery red hair just like Batwoman.

3.  The step-mom … Yeah, I’m still going with wicked step-mom, since I cannot conceive of why she didn’t want the knife checked, and seems really, REALLY disturbed by the reappearance of Beth, more than she is by the threat Alice represents.

I am definitely curious as to what Catherine is up to and whether she had a role to play in what happened to Beth in the time between the crash and her reappearance as Alice.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:43 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 October 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

It's also better than the comics where Kate has long fiery red hair just like Batwoman.

No, in the comics, Kate has short fiery red hair. The bit about the wig being part of the cowl is from the comics (though it may be in homage to Yvonne Craig's Batgirl). This was actually a plot point in a major comics scene -- Alice grabbed at Batwoman's hair in a fight and was surprised when it came loose. That's part of what makes it clever -- enemies may think they can hurt or restraing her by grabbing her hair, but if they do, it'll just come loose.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Batwoman, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users