Doctor Who 5th Doctor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

Posted Image

Frontios starts off seeming like it is going to be another dark story along the lines of Warriors of the Deep but it ends up being a more hopeful story than that.

The TARDIS crew finds themselves at the extreme end of time, an era that the Time Lords forbid people to travel to, around the planet Frontios. Residing on the planet is one of the last colonies of humanity. The Doctor is about to leave when a powerful force pulls the TARDIS to the planet.

Once there, they find a colony under siege. The humans landed on the planet 40 years ago when their ship failed along with most of their technology. They had ten years of peace before constant meteorite bombardments started happening. The colonists believe some alien force is softening them up for invasion. What they don’t know is that the real threat comes from below.

There is a lot to like here. For me I loved that this was a strong Turlough story, his best since Enlightenment. He has a lot of great moments throughout the four episodes. This story also proves that Turlough isn’t a coward. Early on the colonists are going to kill the Doctor by firing squad. Turlough grabs a hat rack and fends them off. Later he has no desire to go into the tunnels and confront the deadly Tractators but he does it anyway because the Doctor might need his help. He even tells Norna, after she says no one expects him to go down there that of course they don’t because he’s Turlough. He knows how the others view him.

He is also instrumental in stopping the villains since he knows about them. The Tractators were on his home planet and the memory of them has been passed down. Turlough literally breaks down when he discovers what they are up against.

The build up to the Tractators is done quite well. We learn that colonists have been disappearing and see some of them get sucked down into the earth. There are ominous warnings about how Frontios buries it own dead and how the earth is hungry, and finally there is Turlogh’s mental break down.

That simply means that when we finally do see the Tractators it is a bit of a letdown. Their costumes aren’t as bad as the Myrka but they leave a lot to be desired. They are big and bulky and the actors can only slowly shuffle around.

It really is too bad because I think they could have been really good monsters. They literally suck people into the ground and then plug them into drilling machines like batteries. They are a good concept that just isn’t executed as well as possible.

I also like the quiet desperation that permeates the colony. They are living an extremely harsh life with virtually no technology, a dwindling population, and an ever decreasing cache of supplies. The colony is basically an authoritarian regime but it almost has to be to keep any semblance of law and order.

The story also slowly reveals the mysteries so there is always something going on. The sense of dread is also increased when the TARDIS is destroyed. It is actually destroyed, with parts scattered across the underground. The Doctor is only able to repair it by tricking the Gravis (the leader of the Tractaors) into using his powerful gravity weapons to rebuild the time machine.

The main trio all get good screen time. Turlough obviously has a lot to do but Tegan isn’t just shoved to the sidelines like what usually happens when one companion gets more of the focus.

There are some good comedic bits in here as well. Turlough using the hat rack like a weapon or at the end when the Doctor, Tegan, and Turlough tell the happy colonists to really not mention their involvement since it would get them in trouble with the Time Lords.

Frontios isn’t perfect and I wouldn’t call it a classic story but it is entertaining and does more right than wrong. Plus it finally uses Turlough and gives him a meaty role instead of just locking him up and forgetting about him.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 10 November 2019 - 08:20 PM.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:32 PM

I didn't like "Frontios" as much as Bidmead's previous two, "Logopolis" and "Castrovalva." It didn't have as much in the way of big sciencey concepts, although the TARDIS shattering was an interesting touch. (Bidmead liked messing around with the TARDIS's structure.)

My first time through the series, back in my early teens, I don't think I'd really gotten until this one that Turlough was not a native of Earth.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

Geez, I don't remember this one either. I should just get all of the Peter Davison episodes and rewatch them.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

I didn't like "Frontios" as much as Bidmead's previous two, "Logopolis" and "Castrovalva." It didn't have as much in the way of big sciencey concepts, although the TARDIS shattering was an interesting touch. (Bidmead liked messing around with the TARDIS's structure.)

My first time through the series, back in my early teens, I don't think I'd really gotten until this one that Turlough was not a native of Earth.

I haven't seen Logopolis yet but I found Castrovalva to be a chore to watch. There were some interesting concepts but the episode felt like it dragged on interminably.

Geez, I don't remember this one either. I should just get all of the Peter Davison episodes and rewatch them.

They are all on the streaming service Britbox (which is how I am watching them).
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

Hmm. It's available through Amazon.  I wonder if I could watch them all in a month.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:13 PM

Hmm. It's available through Amazon.  I wonder if I could watch them all in a month.

If you mean just the 5th Doctor episodes it would be do-able if you watched a few episodes every day. If you mean the entire 26 seasons I don't think so.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:54 PM

No, just the 5th Doctor.  That's probably impossible all by itself, but I don't want to actually subscribe to that channel.

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:23 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 27 November 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

No, just the 5th Doctor.  That's probably impossible all by itself, but I don't want to actually subscribe to that channel.

I guess it depends on your schedule and how many episodes you could watch in a day.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:41 PM

These days, approximately.... zero.  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, 5th Doctor

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users